Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 85781 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 08:13:29 »

It's his choice though, not as if the ECB put a gun to his head.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 09:32:16 »

But he's Irish.  Why should he have that choice in the first place?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 09:53:56 »

It's tricky, I think in theory I'm uncomfortable with it but in most of the cases so far I think there's a reasonable justification- Pietersen has an English mother and wife, Trott a father and wife, while Compton isn't even discussed for this kind of thing despite living in SA until he got to about 10- his grandfather being a legend of English cricket probably helps there. Nationality is getting to be a more complex issue by the year- my own girlfriend is Zimbabwean born and raised and now a British citizen- and as long as someone identifies themselves as English (or Welsh as it is a join team) and only plays for our national team then I'm generally fine with that.

Which brings me on to Morgan, who is probably the one I'm most uncomfortable with in principle, but you can't blame him for wanting to play Test Cricket or England for selecting him when he's made himself available. The real culprits in that one are the ICC who won't allow Ireland to step up to the next level despite the fact that they are run more professionally than half of the Test nations and are more talented that Zimbabwe and, if they had Morgan & Rankin back, I suspect at least on the same level as Bangladesh. The lack of progression in associates cricket is one of my main problems with the game- I'd give test status to Ireland, Afghanistan, Scotland & Holland- would they really embarrass the game any more than Zimbabwe do?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 10:14:57 »

It's tricky, I think in theory I'm uncomfortable with it but in most of the cases so far I think there's a reasonable justification- Pietersen has an English mother and wife, Trott a father and wife, while Compton isn't even discussed for this kind of thing despite living in SA until he got to about 10- his grandfather being a legend of English cricket probably helps there. Nationality is getting to be a more complex issue by the year- my own girlfriend is Zimbabwean born and raised and now a British citizen- and as long as someone identifies themselves as English (or Welsh as it is a join team) and only plays for our national team then I'm generally fine with that.

Which brings me on to Morgan, who is probably the one I'm most uncomfortable with in principle, but you can't blame him for wanting to play Test Cricket or England for selecting him when he's made himself available. The real culprits in that one are the ICC who won't allow Ireland to step up to the next level despite the fact that they are run more professionally than half of the Test nations and are more talented that Zimbabwe and, if they had Morgan & Rankin back, I suspect at least on the same level as Bangladesh. The lack of progression in associates cricket is one of my main problems with the game- I'd give test status to Ireland, Afghanistan, Scotland & Holland- would they really embarrass the game any more than Zimbabwe do?
Pretty much sums it up for me.
DMR

« Reply #739 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 10:37:22 »

I agree.  Morgan playing for England is a farce...and it's even worse because, with a little boost, the country he should be playing for might just be able to break through to the next level.  There is a lot of interest in (and history to) Irish cricket.

If you believe Ireland are on the cusp of competing at the top table in international cricket you are very much mistaken
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 11:18:33 »

Feel inclined to agree.

Still reckon we will get a draw out of this one also.

Le Finn Grin
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:31:20 »

If you believe Ireland are on the cusp of competing at the top table in international cricket you are very much mistaken

I think that if Ireland had their best team out including Ed Joyce, Morgan and Dockerill who I think has declared that he wants to play for England I think that they would be able to give Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and probably even NZ a good game, but it is difficult for them to hold on to their best players

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:39:34 »

Dockrell hasn't, Rankin is the one you're thinking of.

Stirling, Porterfield, Joyce, Morgan, O'Brien N, Wilson, O'Brien K, Mooney, Murtagh, Rankin & Dockrell would give the Banglas a damn good game.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:14:15 by Nemo » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:51:25 »

The Aussies have just dropped four of their better players (well, three and Mitchell Johnson) for failing to hand their homework in on time.

You literally could not make this shit up- Watson, Khawaja, Pattinson & Johnson dropped for not handing in a feedback form on how Australian performances could improve. They have 12 fit players to pick from for the third test, three of whom are terrible spin bowlers.

Edit: Watson's gone home in a huff. This is great. Anyone fancy betting me £5 that at least one of Ponting, M Hussey & Hodge plays the first test?
« Last Edit: Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:23:21 by Nemo » Logged
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:50:07 »

You literally could not make this shit up- Watson, Khawaja, Pattinson & Johnson dropped for not handing in a feedback form on how Australian performances could improve. They have 12 fit players to pick from for the third test, three of whom are terrible spin bowlers.

Could make that 4 terrible spin bowlers .... Lyon, Doherty, Steve Smith and Maxwell!
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:22:05 »

Have they got a decent spin bowler?  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:23:44 by Summerof69 » Logged

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:29:13 »

Have they got a decent spin bowler?  Cheesy

Theres a Pakistani leggie in Aussie state cricket who will qualify in time for the ashes maybe ... Name illudes me.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:49:55 »

Watson apparently gone home due to the (potential) early birth of his child...yeah right  Wink

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 14:36:43 »

Could make that 4 terrible spin bowlers .... Lyon, Doherty, Steve Smith and Maxwell!

Good point, Smith is so bad I'd neglected to remember he could bowl.

That Pakistani is Fawad Ahmed who I'd mentioned a few pages back - not sure he's a silver bullet after seeing how Tahir turned out for South Africa.

The mad thing is that Steve O'Keefe is an Aussie domestic spinner with a sub-30 average and they just won't pick him- Doherty gets picked ahead of him despite taking two (count em!) wickets in the domestic season
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:11:23 »

Watson apparently gone home due to the (potential) early birth of his child...yeah right  Wink

Shane Watson reconsidering his test match future apparantly!

Ah yes Fawad Alam .. Taken a few wickets in donestic cricket and now the ACB are asking the Aus government to bring forward his citizenship so he can potentially tour this summer.  Reminds me of when England were so dersperate for a spinner Chris Schofield got a couple of tests against Zimbabwe.  Didnt get a bowl in the first and got 0 for plenty in the second.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: