Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Carlisle Vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40484 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 16:55:36 »

Still gutted about last week (no, I can't move on!) but overall feeling much more positive.

Switched on the Carlisle commentary after the game when the Swindon one packed up before switching back over again which always seems to get it going again (what the blue fuck is that all about??) and Gregg Abbott was quite complimentary about Swindon and the Carlisle fans apparently clapped Swindon off etc etc...that's always a good sign.

Good point away from home, stopped the rot.

We came back and equalized twice after going behind which I don't think we managed to do once last season (could be wrong, maybe some sad statto bastard can correct me?).

Sounds like a pretty decent all round performance - we could, maybe should have won.

Roberts is back, sounds like he played well, Troy was on the bench - Brilliant!

It's pretty obvious that Flint is the (perceived by Di Canio at least) malcontent in the camp.

Interesting that he's sticking with Williams this season despite his lack of goals (which I believe is absolutely right btw) but had nowhere near that amount of patience with Connell last season. He obviously sees something in Williams which he didn't see in Connell.

Oh yeah, only 6 points off top spot - onwards and upwards!

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 16:59:22 »

We seem to have started pretty much the same as last season; new signings still trying to blend in, Paolo still not sure of his first XI and a mixed bunch of results.

I'm (fairly) confident that once we can name a pretty much unchanged side on a regular basis we should start racking up the wins.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 16:59:40 »

That's a decent point.  We appear to have stopped the rot, we scored a couple, and the Manager kept his wig on after the game.  All small steps, but all in the right direction.  Pompey seem to be there for the taking on Tuesday, so we'll probably screw that one up...but at least there's something to aim for.

Impressive little run Oxford seem to be on in the League now as well.  WWWLLL...Christmas has come early this year.
This to me is the most important point of all Yes
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 17:08:49 »

Yes that's what I meant.

Rate Flint quite highly (distribution aside), but do wonder about his attitude. I might be totally wrong of course.

I think Flint is pretty decent, but he's looked a bit of a donkey the last few games (the Oxford cock up, and his step-over for Orient's goal). I'm not sure if he's good enough for a top 6 L1 team, as we're aspiring to be.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
corner

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 17:16:05 »

Just seen cox's goal on SSN very well taken.
It was a great goal. Interesting to see bait of caddis in the highlights too.
kerry red

« Reply #335 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 17:18:13 »

So with a fit Roberts seemingly nailed on for the left wing position, where does that leave Rooney/RDV? One will have to ship out.

Ward seems a liability and Flint looks to have got the evil eye from PdC - so that's another 2 off.

Coke and Bessone seem decent additions but we do need a Caddis-like replacement to get the best out of Ritchie.

Strikers seem well sorted - no problems there.

For the odd game Bedwell is good enough.

So, need a right back, central defender.

Midfield seems OK - would like to know the ins and outs re Bostock. Not 100% sure on Miller/Navarro.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #336 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 17:22:41 »

A couple of interesting comments from the Carlisle forum, sounds like we really should have won.

Ratings v Swindon
Gillespie (GK) 8 Man of the match deservedly. Several outstanding saves and cool under pressure.

Overall under the cosh for most of the game and did well to win a point.

How we are still level i don't know. Sounds like they've had 3 or 4 excellent chances in the last 5-10 mins.

I might get slated for this but here's my ten pence worth.....
I'll agree the defence wasn't great all game & individuals keep making costly mistakes but they did stand firm under immense pressure in the second half.
The main problem for me is midfield more to the point central midfield. They offer nothing what so ever they were completely missing in the second half today both in attack and defence they don't protect the defence at all.

Well done Gillespie,man of the match i think he was,but at home goalie man of the match,i know one thing the Swindon boss will be doing his nut in,and he would be quite right to because they should have done us.Credit for hanging in there and getting a point however it was achieved.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 17:29:30 »

Went to a PYO farm at half-time, but managed to get a signal on my portable wireless. We sounded pretty decent in the 2nd half so there's hope yet. With Roberts back and Troy in defence, I'm quote hopeful for Tuesday.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
STFCFORLIFE

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 17:38:49 »

I don't get why we chased Bostock all summer then for Di Canio not to play him? We were struggling against Orient and needed him to come on but PDC chose 3 others over him and today he isn't even on the bench unless he was injured? If not then that's poor.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 17:59:59 »

Here is a write up from a well respected Carlisle fan on TFF.  Pretty much sums up what I listened to.

Firstly though have to say i 100% agree on the fact game should have been delayed, I am one of them unlucky fans who has went to Yeovil and Swansea and both times arrived late and expected or hoped in both occasions for a delay which never came.............same should have happened here, while i don't think maybe 30 mins would have been right, at least 15 mins would mean the fans would have just missed 5-10 minutes.

It's disgusting really when it's fans travelling 6-7 well with the traffic 8-9 hour journeys and clubs/officials (as never sure which it is as think both lie) do not at all take them in consideration. So yep it was a shame to see 2 bus-loads turn up after about 30 minutes having missed all 4 goals.

as for game, well totally bizarre, we were pretty much outplayed on most fronts of the game and 90% of it must have been spent in our own half or around our box, but really it was both sides utterly abysmal defending which dominated the game most as each side gifted the other 2 goals, although all 4 goals were well taken the defending or lack of it from both sides on all 4 goals said alot about the game really.

but overall it was a game where Swindon did most of the play, we just dug in, scrapped and hoped for the best, first half started with them on top before we took over as half completed with a frenzied spell in the middle where all 4 goals were scored.

2nd half Swindon upped their game and we frankly offered very little, some of the defending being abysmal on our part and it was down to our goalkeeper and abit of luck to keep the ball out, but as half went on we did dig in abit more and eased the pressure, but created pretty much nothing, but we'll take the point because we really didn't deserve it overall, but i think our fans realised is a big difference in budgets on both squads and not alot more we could do that scrap and battle for something which they did.

Swindon played well, should do ok this season, but their defence looked weak, maybe for them at present it is a case of that old saying when you come up that you can be punished for mistakes you didn't get punished for in the lower division, they will need to improve at the back if want a challenge on top 2 as looked sloppy there, other areas look strong.

At least they came and had a go and attacked, i'll give our fans abit of credit they are quite old school and appreciate when a team comes and has a go and afew did clap Swindon off as they left the field in respect of this, a  hard earned point for us, but not a good performance really.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 18:13:07 »

Good to read that.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 18:53:30 »

Right that was better than Preston anyway.

Positives were we looked better going forward and seemed to have some cohesion

Also they played Carter USM, the manics, morrissey and Ash on the PA.

But the back 4 still look sketchy, both Devera and Jay did Ok, but neither are naturally attacking but in the middle it isn't happening. I wonder if this is a form or confidence thing, Ward can't have played at the level he has without ability to interpret a game and kick a ball straight so i hope its just form and i hope its the same with Alan mac who seems to have lost the ability to pass the ball, which i would hope he could do as a midfielder. The amount of times they were letting the ball bounce was scary.

Roberts looks a player, no idea if Miller did anything as didn't notice him all game, Fodders needs to stop kicking it out, and Williams was blowing out of his arse after 80 mins.

Generally a good day, really feel for the fans who missed the first half, you missed the goals but on the bright side we played much better second half.

And finally - just how overweight/portly was Cadamarteri?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 19:15:15 »

Agree with most of horlock07's post really. It was a vast improvement on the PNE and Orient games - we played more football and looked a lot more of a threat in attack. And second half I don't think Wes had a save to make - which suggests our defending wasn't quite as bad as some have made out.

Shame about the blips in the first half really! For their first, a clearance was blocked and fell to Jervis, putting him through one-on-one. Nice finish, but a gutting way to go behind. Would need to see it again before blaming anybody (Ward, was it?).

Anyway, no matter - a few minutes later a long ball is flicked on by Benson. Rooney is given all the time he needs to bring it down and hit it from 25 yards into the bottom corner. He didn't rifle it, he picked his spot nicely. But barely a minute has passed before we're behind again! McGovern whips one over from the right hand side, Cadamerteri (?) knocks it down on the edge of the box and Jervis rifles a shot straight through Foderingham into the roof of the net. I was surprised Wes didn't manage to keep it out in all honesty, but maybe I'm being harsh. My head would have been in my hands at this point, but before I had time to put it there Benson was being played through at the other end. He was never going to miss. All 50 of the Town fans jumped for joy!

Second half we controlled the play really. As the Carlisle bloke mentioned, we ran the show in central midfield. Ritchie didn't have the game of his life but did well enough, and Roberts looked a real threat. Unfortunately Williams couldn't convert when through one-on-one, and Ferry managed to waste two or three great chances. Roberts had an effort well saved by their keeper too, and Collins almost had a chance when played in but the keeper just got something on the ball.

Fair play to all those who travelled up from Swindon - I had a much shorter journey than most, and was incredibly relieved I'd chosen the train when I heard reports of the M6 tailbacks. Was very disappointed that the game couldn't be put back even 15 minutes, and I hope those who didn't get there until 30 mins or even half time are compensated in some way, as that's a real kick in the teeth.

On the whole though I came away feeling positive - it was a step in the right direction and a bit more work on the training ground could get us playing properly again!
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 19:28:50 »

What an awful day. We had a slow moving M6 for ages then hit the trouble at Junction 34, 2 hours to move 4 miles. Came off at Junction 35, some 60 miles from Carlisle at 2.50, my bladder could not hold out much longer and my arse felt like it had been rogered by an elephant. With at least an hour and a half if the traffic was kind from that point, we would have been lucky to see the last 15 minutes. We did a total of 414 miles and got as far as a sign for Morecambe Bay.

Been home in Swindon for an hour now and I really cant remember a worse day football travel wise than this, the only plus point is I planned to pay on the day so I saved £22 on a ticket, but the fuel could have been better used.

In the end I used my free minutes and phoned my daughters mobile in Swindon which was strategically placed near a radio tuned in to BBC Wilts, sounded dreadful but I could work out bits of it.

RIP to the person who died in the accident today
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 20:03:10 »

Just saw the goals on SSN. A suitably low key celebration from Jervis for both his goals. Nice touch.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: