Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Good Country Pub Food Guide...  (Read 9832 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 11:08:02 »

I am going to the Blundson House Hotel for my nan's 90th birthday on Saturday, what's this like? Is there an alternative to cooking lager available?

Not often I am in Swindon, when town are at home and I am not at the football!! Have to borrow my gf's internet to keep up to date with goings on at the CG.

Might be a few Orient fans on my train from London thinking about it.
BHH is ok - as you would expect from a 4 star hotel but can be a bit presumptious.  Are you eating in the carvery or the a la carte restaurant.  Reasonable range of beers available, three bars if I remember correctly, although one of them may only be open when the function room is in use.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 11:12:27 »

'local' and 'country' depend on where you live...

You know exactly what I mean.

/
W56196272
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 11:14:43 »

BHH is ok - as you would expect from a 4 star hotel but can be a bit presumptious.  Are you eating in the carvery or the a la carte restaurant.  Reasonable range of beers available, three bars if I remember correctly, although one of them may only be open when the function room is in use.

presumptious or pretentious?

Think its more a buffet style thing that we are doing. Just a small family gathering.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 11:20:50 »

The White Hart in Ashton Keynes is worth a visit.  New owners last year, got a proper chef in and a good choice of beers.  Current winners of a regional award from the trade press.

Do quite a lot of 'themed' food events.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
DRS

« Reply #19 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 11:30:36 »

The White Hart in Ashton Keynes is worth a visit.  New owners last year, got a proper chef in and a good choice of beers.  Current winners of a regional award from the trade press.

Do quite a lot of 'themed' food events.
Me too. Can't beat the sight of a potatoe dressed in a 60s outfit
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 11:55:53 »

Smashing.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 16:44:07 »

The problem here, is the high rate of change in these places, so what might have been really good a while back, may not be so now....unless you went in there yesterday.

Places which were decent say a couple of years ago, were the Crown at Crucis (Ampney Crucis), Golden Heart in the dip on A417 prob the best I've been in, Chequers Inn, Brize Norton...Bear at Bisley. Foston's Ash....which is between Birdlip and Painswick.

Fuck knows what any are like now or even if still open...I'm a bit with Yeovil on this, bag of pork scratchings and a pickled egg, will do for me in the right setting.
fatbasher

« Reply #22 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 21:57:58 »

How timely.

My eldest has his French friend over and I'm taking them to dinner on Sunday with enfamile. She apparently wants to eat good English food. I told her good, English and food were not usually found in the same sentence.  

So where shall I take them all on Sunday?  Please?
Bolingbroke seems favourite at the mo.

« Last Edit: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 07:01:25 by fatbasher » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 06:48:06 »

Dan Quale tribute potatoes !
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 07:13:20 »

How timely.

My eldest has his French friend over and I'm taking them to dinner on Sunday with enfamile. She apparently wants to eat good English food. I told her good, English and food were not usually found in the same sentence. 

So where shall I take them all on Sunday?  Please?
Bolingbroke seems favourite at the mo.

I read that and have deduced you are Penelope Keith, still locked in character from The Good Life.
Do I win a prize?

It's All Good..............
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 07:42:39 »

The problem here, is the high rate of change in these places, so what might have been really good a while back, may not be so now....unless you went in there yesterday.

Places which were decent say a couple of years ago, were the Crown at Crucis (Ampney Crucis), Golden Heart in the dip on A417 prob the best I've been in, Chequers Inn, Brize Norton...Bear at Bisley. Foston's Ash....which is between Birdlip and Painswick.

Fuck knows what any are like now or even if still open...I'm a bit with Yeovil on this, bag of pork scratchings and a pickled egg, will do for me in the right setting

every time i try to go to the golden heart it is closed. went for a walk once and got there at 4pm only to find i had to wait around beerless until 6 or press on to the george in birdlip. will give it another go. Green dragon in cockleforf is worth a visit if in the area. more of a restaurant really but a good bar and, er, the best serving of butcombe ive ever had
fatbasher

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 18:40:26 »

I read that and have deduced you are Penelope Keith, still locked in character from The Good Life.
Do I win a prize?

No, fuck off you patronising cunt!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 19:33:59 »

The Old Royal Ship in Luckington, (if anyone knows where that it i'd be pleasantly surprised.)
Really homely and great food.
fatbasher

« Reply #28 on: Sunday, September 9, 2012, 07:47:13 »

Weighbridge Brewhouse it is!
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, September 9, 2012, 14:13:15 »

The Old Royal Ship in Luckington, (if anyone knows where that it i'd be pleasantly surprised.)
Really homely and great food.
Been there a few times, used to take a detour coming back down the fosse way on a Sunday for lunch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: