Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Good Country Pub Food Guide...  (Read 9833 times)
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 07:08:28 »

Whilst 4D is away on honeymoon I figured I'd turn this section into something useful and start a list of country pubs that serve good food and beer so he knows where to take his mrs for an evening out

First up...

The White Horse Inn, Compton Bassett.
Landlord/chef can be a bit of a dick (ask grubby) but it's a free house, is nicely refurbished and serves excellent food (rumoured to be heading for a Michelin star).

The Crown Inn, Broad Hinton
Nice atmosphere, great landlady, good food... Only downside is that it's an arkells pub so the beer can be a little off putting

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 07:12:49 »

Easy.

The redlion Cricklade.
Won camra on numerous times. Now has it's own brewery. Beer can be bought to be taken home. Food is spot on. All local produce. Instead of a wine list that goes with the food, they have a beer list! Can't recommend it enough.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 07:17:55 »

Very much a dying breed sadly No
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 07:26:24 »

Exactly why the goods ones should be lauded
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 07:26:55 »

The Greyhound in Siddington is also very good and quite reasonable.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 07:31:36 »

Exactly why the goods ones should be lauded
Very true.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 07:44:55 »

Easy.

The redlion Cricklade.
Won camra on numerous times. Now has it's own brewery. Beer can be bought to be taken home. Food is spot on. All local produce. Instead of a wine list that goes with the food, they have a beer list! Can't recommend it enough.

Never tried it but will now give it a visit... see? it works!
timmyg

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 12:02:08 »

Another vote for the Red Lion at Cricklade, a cracking pub.

Good to see that the Crown Inn at Broad Hinton gets a mention as I drive past there everyday and keep saying that I should go in, so decent food is a definate draw!

I'd give a shout out to The Horse and Groom at Charlton too, though it's a little fancier than normal pub food.   Also the Vale of the White Horse Inn at Minety used to go good food, though I haven't been there for years.  Both decent pubs in their own right with car parks, outside space, decent beers etc too.

never trust a nun...
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 07:33:06 »

I always head to the Royal Oak at Bishopstone for an above average meal if I've got a bit of extra cash
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 07:44:03 »

I dont think poncy Country Pubs that make a big deal out food and glorify real Ale like its fine wine are a dying breed there are plenty of them.Its local pubs that are the dying breed.

/
W56196272
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 08:07:20 »

I dont think poncy Country Pubs that make a big deal out food and glorify real Ale like its fine wine are a dying breed there are plenty of them.Its local pubs that are the dying breed.
Round my way (Essex/Suffolk) even 'poncy' pubs in 'poncy' villages where people have stacks of money are closing down. It's actually quite shocking.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 08:20:55 »

'local' and 'country' depend on where you live...
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 09:50:05 »

Can anybody confirm or deny that the Trotting Horse at Bushton serves a decent meal?
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 09:56:40 »

Denied
Can anybody confirm or deny that the Trotting Horse at Bushton serves a decent meal?
It's just been taken over - haven't been in there since then so can't comment - was a bit of shit hole before...

The Bell at West Overton isn't bad and neither is the Wagon and Horse's at Beckhampton
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 7, 2012, 09:56:55 »

I am going to the Blundson House Hotel for my nan's 90th birthday on Saturday, what's this like? Is there an alternative to cooking lager available?

Not often I am in Swindon, when town are at home and I am not at the football!! Have to borrow my gf's internet to keep up to date with goings on at the CG.

Might be a few Orient fans on my train from London thinking about it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: