Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Paolo Di Canio Column - BBC?!  (Read 16932 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:04:23 »

Even the comments on the adver site outlined just how transparent the motives of the reporting is even if others are can't see it or are choosing to ignore it.
"The posters on thisis agree with me". Wow. That's always a slam-dunk. Sorry, couldn't resist Smiley

The combined weight of the Adver forurms notwithstanding, I'd still venture to suggest (my original point) that you can't on the one hand "love how open Di Canio is" (that's a precis of various people, not suggesting you said that personally FH) and then slate the media for reporting his, let's be honest, sometimes a little eccentric interviews. It's part and parcel of the way Di Canio conducts himself, not saying it's good or bad, it's just something people will have to get used to, because I don't think anyone sees him changing.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:06:48 »

I'm so glad pauld is back :-)

I've missed you big guy!
Flashheart

« Reply #32 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:08:52 »

But that doesn't explain the needless reporting of McCormick being at the ground.
It doesn't explain the little comment about Benson that seems to have whipped up rumours.
It doesn't explain the need to put the Caddis story on the front page of the news.

These things have nothing to do with PDC.

SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:17:12 »

But for example the McCormick thing,

Had the adver ignored it and not reported anything, but BBC/ Sky Sports/ national papers had reported it wouldn't the fans have turned around and asked why the local paper was behind these other sources and not reporting on the club?

I think the adver is trapped between a rock and a hard place here...

Flashheart

« Reply #34 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:19:57 »

With that particular example Suggs, the adver 'reported' what we already knew.

Nobody's criticising them for reporting the news, but they are being criticised for reporting non-news with the soul intention of gaining exposure and boosting their coffers. Just like the good 'ole Sun and Daily Mail do on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:22:12 by Flashheart » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:25:35 »

Local papers are struggling big time. They need sales revenue, unlike the bbc.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:26:11 »

I think Sam's doing a pretty good job on the whole. My main gripe with Adver articles is usually the headlines - they ran a headline about Caddis along the lines of "Get in shape or get out of my club", when a cursory glance at the actual quotes from PDC were more along the lines of "Paul has a decision to make and he's still welcome".
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:27:46 »

The adver have played the midsleading headline game for ages!
kerry red

« Reply #38 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:39:46 »

For Adver headlines, you will never beat one from the 90s (not sports related)

'Motorist helps finger girl'

Swear to God
Flashheart

« Reply #39 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:42:24 »

The adver have played the midsleading headline game for ages!

I didn't notice Gary Rose doing it. Although my not noticing it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:44:02 »

I didn't notice Gary Rose doing it. Although my not noticing it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You realise that journos don't generally write their own headlines, right? I fear the scapegoat you're looking for may be a mischievous sub.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #41 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:44:18 »

I agree with this, although again I may have missed it if he did.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #42 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:46:57 »

You realise that journos don't generally write their own headlines, right? I fear the scapegoat you're looking for may be a mischievous sub.

In which case, whomever is writing the headlines appeared to have changed when Gary Rose left.
Flashheart

« Reply #43 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:50:04 »

Anyway

We know that Morshead writes his own titles. He has admitted on twitter to his headlines being influenced in the past by the TEF.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:55:14 »

For Adver headlines, you will never beat one from the 90s (not sports related)

'Motorist helps finger girl'

Swear to God

The best football related headline, by far, accompanied an Andy Cryer article at the start of the 2006/07 promotion season on the day that we had Rochdale at home.  I get to look at this headline every day when I take a pee because it's framed and hanging in my downstairs toilet.  Mentioned a while ago on here...

No.  The best Adver headline from recent years was 'Parkin fears Jock's Trap'.  (Aug 2006, on the day Steve Parkin brought his Rochdale side to the County Ground.  'Jock' was Lee Peacock, who played under Parkin at Mansfield in the late 1990s.)

A framed copy of the paper that day now hangs in my downstairs toilet.

It's even funnier if your surname is Parkin and your wife is Scottish...as happens to be the case for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: