Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 13409 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 10:13:42 »

Fuck that. Give us the title now.

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 10:25:55 »

I hope that that was not the impression given by my earlier post.  I think we showed our hand last night.  It was a demonstration of what we're capable of.  The tricky bit (as I mentioned) is then sustaining the challenge.  Managed correctly, we could be on to bigger & better things, which is exciting...but we need to stay grounded for there to be a chance of that happening.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 11:11:44 »

Our biggest challenge and one I think we can achieve is becoming sustainable. So bigger attendances and more money generated off the field. Then we can all look forward to higher league football year after year. We are certainly going the right way and good times are certainly here.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 11:14:00 »

I guess Sunday will be a significant test of the teams stature.  How often do we see abysmal results following on from a great victory? I cannot imagine that every member of the team is anything but exhausted; and Preston (as one of the fancied, but so far unimpressive League 1 teams) will be specially up for beating us.  How we deal with all of that will be a real sign of the depth of commitment and passion there is in the team; and I suspect (and hope) that this will be the moment when PdC really comes into his own because he won't allow the halos to become dead weights!!
kerry red

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 11:17:05 »

We need to jettison the JPT asap - even if it is Oxford
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 11:46:45 »

We need to jettison the JPT asap - even if it is Oxford

I think the JPT can be a nice distraction, it is about having the winning habbit though and being consistent but we owe the pox though - be nice to hammer them and I think PDC will realise that
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:23:04 »

I'm very much in the keep your feet on the ground camp....

Last night was a great one off, sort of thing us older fans were raised on, but in the bigger picture that's all it is... a one off.     

Batch has got it about right...

Reality is, we're roughly back to where we were 3 years ago...when we mounted an ultimately fruitless campaign on Div 3 promotion....ground situation is still no more than talk.

The one advantage we may have this season compared to that, is that Div 3 does appear to be weaker, of course that may ultimately not be the case.

Think with one off's, they should just be enjoyed, because doubtless, there's some shit just round the next corner.
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:25:35 »

Last night was a great one off, sort of thing us older fans were raised on, but in the bigger picture that's all it is... a one off.     

A one off in the way that Shitty, Udders, Wigan and Brighton were also one offs?
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:27:35 »

The more successful and high profile we become the more teams will want to knock us off our perch. We reacted really well after defeats or set backs last season and if we can emulate that throughout this season we won't be too far away come the end of this campaign.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:37:19 »

Think with one off's, they should just be enjoyed, because doubtless, there's some shit just round the next corner.

I think there's a lot of Town fans like that (and I'm including myself).
Really enjoyed last night's result, just as I've enjoyed 99% of the football we've been playing since PdC took charge.
BUT, but  (said ala Paolo) I'm experienced in the crushing disappointment that comes with following STFC. After the euphoric feeling wears off I can't help reverting to slight pessimism. It can't carry on, can it? Something's bound to go wrong, wont it? I suppose that's part and parcel of supporting a lower league side; you become so used to let downs you begin to expect them.
I'll enjoy the good times, but I can't shake off years of disappointment in just over a season, been here before....

It's All Good..............
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:52:14 »

I think there's a lot of Town fans like that (and I'm including myself).
Really enjoyed last night's result, just as I've enjoyed 99% of the football we've been playing since PdC took charge.
BUT, but  (said ala Paolo) I'm experienced in the crushing disappointment that comes with following STFC. After the euphoric feeling wears off I can't help reverting to slight pessimism. It can't carry on, can it? Something's bound to go wrong, wont it? I suppose that's part and parcel of supporting a lower league side; you become so used to let downs you begin to expect them.
I'll enjoy the good times, but I can't shake off years of disappointment in just over a season, been here before....
Not putting a dampner on it but I find myself agreeing with every word.

Still enjoying the ride no matter what.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:53:25 »

It's ingrained in all of us. Even us youngsters in our mid 20s.

At 2-0 we were saying that we just couldn't shake the feeling of it going a bit Elland Road all over again.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:53:56 »

A one off in the way that Shitty, Udders, Wigan and Brighton were also one offs?

Exactly...take as an example Northampton, couple of seasons ago they dumped Reading and the Scousers at Anfield in the LC, by end of September.  I daresay their fans thought it might be a sign of a useful outfit, but they finished 16th in Div 4, only stayed up by 5 or 6 points, and struggled badly last season.

You just cannot build an edifice on a couple of results...
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:00:20 »

Exactly...take as an example Northampton, couple of seasons ago they dumped Reading and the Scousers at Anfield in the LC, by end of September.  I daresay their fans thought it might be a sign of a useful outfit, but they finished 16th in Div 4, only stayed up by 5 or 6 points, and struggled badly last season.

You just cannot build an edifice on a couple of results...

Hardly a couple of results. We haven't lost at home for over a year.

There's perspective, there's pessimism, and there's out and out negativity.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:21:44 »

Hardly a couple of results. We haven't lost at home for over a year.

There's perspective, there's pessimism, and there's out and out negativity.

I was going to add or a couple of seasons...if the Board's aim of Championship football is to be achieved, then much has still to be done. 

Take Brighton as an example, about 3 and a bit years back, we beat them at the Withdean, and just about avoided our drop, and seemed to have consigned them to Div 4, yet here we are further on in time and they're now seen as viable Prem contenders.

This is the sort of serious progress, that we've got to aspire to. It could have happened in the Brighton span, essentially the same people were running the club...it didn't.  Doesn't necessarily mean that it cannot happen for us, but just provides the need for perspective.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: