Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stopping an automatic payment on a credit card  (Read 3935 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:10:12 »

My car insurance is due soon and I want to change insurer, they took the cash automatically last year (cpa) - how can I stop them taking it this year. I have read up that a cpa can only be cancelled by the collector, is this TRUE?  Huh?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:14:02 »

Cancel the card.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:28:50 »

I also read that doesn't work because the card company are obliged to pay, this in turn can affect your credit history etc. Not sure if that's true or not
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:32:12 »

Cancel the car insurance ?
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:34:11 »

I also read that doesn't work because the card company are obliged to pay, this in turn can affect your credit history etc. Not sure if that's true or not

I don't think this would affect your credit rating if you have cancelled your insurance - it does annoy me that online companies make it really easy to sign up to subscriptions using your credit card then make it a truly awful experience trying to cancel it -  I tend to now use paypal for subscription services where I have complete control over the payments.
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:37:30 »

Cancel the card.

This.

Which reminds me of fucking Admiral a few years back. They sent me a quote, I forget how much hiher than the previous year, but it was significant. My card had already been cancelled, so left it at that. Sorted out new insurance, paid for it, everything good.

The new insurers asked for proof of NCD, so I phoned Admiral for it. They said, we can't send you proof of no claims because you owe us £X for your overdue insurance. I said, do I fuck (although not in those words) my insurance ran out X number of days ago. They then explained that as I hadn't given them 30 days notice, it renews automatically and I now owe them.

I said, so if I crash, I can claim even though I haven't paid my premium? No they reply... So what they were saying was I owe them for insurance I'm not covered by until I pay them? Well, obviously fucktards... But seeing as I didn't want or need their poxy fucking cover, we're all square, so why do I need to pay?!

Anyway, after some pathetic wrangling, they said they'd give me proof of NCD if I paid for the period I have been "insured" by them on a pro-rata basis - the cheek of it! Anyway, I was too irate to listen to the dickheads anymore, I phoned my new insurers and explained the problem. They said, leave it to us and they duly sorted it. Fucking cunts.

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:37:35 »

I had a similar problem with a yearly membership, the membership was cancelled but the following year they took the payment and sent me new membership cards. I guess if I email them requesting to cancel the insurance and not to take the funds then I have a bit of back up if this goes to shit.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:04:39 »

Have had a similar problem with the AA, and have just rung them telling them not to take my payment for Roadside and Relay (£120.89) owing to the cost - Green Flag is much cheaper.  They called me back five minutes later and offered me my membership for £61-54, saving almost £60!!  Needless to say I have accepted, if you are trying to stop a payment it does pay to ring the company involved and see what they can do.  Next stop Sky!!!!
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:22:34 »

Have had a similar problem with the AA, and have just rung them telling them not to take my payment for Roadside and Relay (£120.89) owing to the cost - Green Flag is much cheaper.  They called me back five minutes later and offered me my membership for £61-54, saving almost £60!!  Needless to say I have accepted, if you are trying to stop a payment it does pay to ring the company involved and see what they can do.  Next stop Sky!!!!

I've always had a very strong opinion on that. If those bottom feeder companies, like insurance and what not, can match a price, they will lose my business (as if they care anyway).

I have no loyalty to a company who has just tried to squeeze me for more and I'll leave them in a heart beat. If they value me and my premiums, they should give me the best price when they first quote me, because otherwise I'm going to scarper.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:27:18 »

I thought there was some new regulation on this recently introduced where companies couldnt automatically renew insurance and charge the same card as last year.

Its quite possiblethat I dreamt this, but I have noticed that the last couple of renewals I've had through give me the quote then ask me to contact them to confirm, rather than saying it will be done automatically if I dont contact them.

And Barry I couldn't agree more. It really pisses me off when you get sent a quote that is 10-20% up on last year then when you ring to cancel they offer a cheaper price. Robbing Cunts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: