Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737305 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2595 on: Thursday, September 27, 2018, 14:11:44 »

Does anyone know anything about E Bikes?

Long story short, my Father in Law wants to buy MiL an e bike as she has a longstanding back issue, its going to be an eBay purchase I suspect, now the only thing I do know is that for a lot of older models the main problem is getting spares and especially batteries so is there anything to look out for in terms of buying second hand>

TIA

Fuzzy is yer man..... here's what he posted a while back on te subject when I asked....

"Go for something with the Shimano Steps system or the Bosch system. Good motor and battery reliability.

The Steps has 3 power settings whereas the Bosch has 4. Shimano powers application is smooth and Bosch punches in a bit more aggressively.

Both systems could give 60 to 70 kilometres of assistance if used wisely. The other good thing about these systems is that, as the motor replaces the bottom bracket, they carry the weight very well. Turning pedals with the power off doesn't feel like you are lugging a big motor.

PM me if you want more info."
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2596 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 14:38:00 »

Right then chaps - Wheels..............

Currently running Fulcrum R3s. Very pleased with them but the replacement bearing cost for the hubs alone is £80. Plus the freehub/labour and you're up to £200. Thought about treating myself to something else that was potentially more serviceable with sealed cartridge bearings.

Looked at the usual suspects - Mavic et al, looked at custom builds, looked at Chinese carbon (YeoLeo)

I don't want carbon rims, just want some nice reliable serviceable wheels.

Any recommendations ?? Would like to stay under £600 but can be flexible  Grin     
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2597 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 10:03:41 »

Are you looking for just general use Bewdog?
Why don't you fancy carbon rims?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #2598 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 10:21:16 »

Are you looking for just general use Bewdog?
Why don't you fancy carbon rims?

Yes.

A few reasons, their braking efficiency, inability to replace the rims, expense.

I did fancy the Mavic Cosmic Carbon but I found these : https://www.moonglu.com/products/moonglu-wheelworks-custom-dt-swiss-road-wheels

and these : https://www.mantel.com/uk/fulcrum-racing-zero-c17-road-wheelset
« Last Edit: Monday, February 4, 2019, 15:27:12 by Bewster » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2599 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 19:44:52 »

Cant really help. I've had Aksiums and Cosmics. Both have been good.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #2600 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 20:43:15 »

Cant really help. I've had Aksiums and Cosmics. Both have been good.

That's good enough for an opinion NMH, thanks
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2601 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 09:12:02 »

Chris Froome, has got another Grand Tour, in this case the 2011 Vuelta.... retrospective after Juan Jose Cobo was stripped for a drug offence.

Remember watching it at the time, thinking it looked a bit dodgy the way Cobo, went up a "wall" to get the red on a late stage, to best Froome and Wiggins.  Compounded by him doing nothing much the next year and then retiring.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2602 on: Thursday, July 18, 2019, 10:25:38 »

Chris Froome, has got another Grand Tour, in this case the 2011 Vuelta.... retrospective after Juan Jose Cobo was stripped for a drug offence.

Remember watching it at the time, thinking it looked a bit dodgy the way Cobo, went up a "wall" to get the red on a late stage, to best Froome and Wiggins.  Compounded by him doing nothing much the next year and then retiring.

Nice to see Malcolm Bollema pushed up onto the podium as well, imagine its going to piss Wiggins off a bit.

Be interesting to see if they look at the fairytale result of 2013 now as well, it was common knowledge for years that dope testing at the Vuelta was somewhat more relaxed than elsewhere.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #2603 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 15:09:43 »

Selling my Cube for £650 if anyone is looking for a road bike

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/cube-agree-gtc-carbon-road-bike-58cm/1361788945

ooooo, look how nice it is

« Last Edit: Monday, December 30, 2019, 14:47:59 by mystical_goat » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2604 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 15:53:58 »

In a rather tenuous link to Swindon Town, Sam Bennett winner of the Green Jersey yesterday was born in Flanders but grew up in Carrick-on-Suir, the family making the move in 1994 after his father Michael was offered the job of managing Waterford.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2605 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 16:28:24 »

i don't fancy doing offroady stuff really, so a roadbike would do me (and would make it easier to cycle on roads to work). but if i'm paying for skinny tyres and a raised arse then i might as well get a mountain bike

If you get a mountain bike maybe consider semi slick tyres to make it easier when cycling on Tarmac

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2606 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 16:31:32 »

i don't have a problem spending money on anything decent, but being a bit of a skav i saw a bike for £125 on tesco's and wondered how much difference there would really be...

What you got to remember is Tescos might be making £40-60 on that bike so you will be buying something with really cheap components which won't last which is ok if you're only cycling short distances

So, give no fucks
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #2607 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 17:31:27 »

What you got to remember is Tescos might be making £40-60 on that bike so you will be buying something with really cheap components which won't last which is ok if you're only cycling short distances
I’m in no way a cyclist, but I do have more than a passing acquaintance with Tesco!  You need to bear in mind that you will get absolutely no after sales service from Tesco.  Nothing.  They might offer a refund if a bike is faulty, but spares and repairs? Nada.
Pay more, and if you choose your retailer wisely, you won’t be fleeced, and you will get assistance, service, and added enjoyment for years to come! 
And you’ll be able to bore everyone rigid forever, telling stories about that great deal you got!! Smug Fuck Off
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2608 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 17:40:23 »

I’m in no way a cyclist, but I do have more than a passing acquaintance with Tesco!  You need to bear in mind that you will get absolutely no after sales service from Tesco.  Nothing.  They might offer a refund if a bike is faulty, but spares and repairs? Nada.
Pay more, and if you choose your retailer wisely, you won’t be fleeced, and you will get assistance, service, and added enjoyment for years to come! 
And you’ll be able to bore everyone rigid forever, telling stories about that great deal you got!! Smug Fuck Off

Spot on Geoff Tesco's won't give you any after sales service so if it was me ai would be going to Mitchell cycles and buying something for around £200-300 from a reputable family business who can't do enough for their customers

So, give no fucks
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2609 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 18:23:02 »

You two are replying to 8 year old posts ffs
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: