Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 741443 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1665 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 19:00:20 »

Question for anyone who cycles to work.

I'm now working just 10 miles from home...so within easy cycling distance.  Just wondering what the routine you have.  Do you leave clothes at the office/workplace?  Is it pretty much essential to take a shower when you get in?  I'm just toying with the idea.  I used to do loads of cycling, but have not even owned a bike for a few years now.

Thanks.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #1666 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 19:30:11 »

OK that's a shame. Did you take the pedal Axel out? I've just bought a tool to help me do that.

Apart from that id suggest cleats/shoes or just soak every thing in gt85

Didn't have the right tool for that. Do have some spd sl 105s barely used with some fizik shoes that need to be sent back to the shop because they're broken, so will try those at some point before sending them back. Changed the cleats on my normal shoes in the summer and they're tight so shouldn't be them.

Put a new 105 bottom bracket in a few months ago after the clicking first appeared, usually when riding out the saddle then, checked the tightness at the weekend and seemed fine. May try looking at the headset bearings, there's a small amount of play when rocking the bike back and forth with the brakes on, but doubt it will be that, it's just something that's been bugging me for ages. Seems to be coming from the right side of the drive, after pedalling one legged on each side for a bit, hence why I've ordered the new chainset. Just not sure how much work I can be arsed to do on it as I'm away on holiday in a few weeks and then hopefully this puppy will be ready to be ordered soon after I'm back. http://www.shop.18bikes.co.uk/m5b2s586p2307/GENESIS-Equilibrium-Disc-725-Frameset-2015

Fault finding is such a frustrating process, don't really want to do everything listed in one big go because if it does remedy it, I may not be completely sure which one of those things actually sorted it, so I'm none the wiser to what to look out for in the future. But as a consequence you have to take your bits apart, reassemble, ride, and start over again on the next part if its not sorted. Argh.

As for tyres, I've found GP 4 seasons very good through winter, but currently run some michellin pro 4s which have been just as good and cheaper than the contis, but haven't used them in mucky weather yet.

Monster ride from Jens, sums the guy up that after that effort, 5mins later he's joking about with the photographers, grinning like a loon. Most others would need to be swept off the track with a shovel and a bucket. Great way to bow out for him.

No doubt Wiggo and Martin will break that record by a fair distance in current form, but would like to see how they'd do at 43 doing it!
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #1667 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 19:39:53 »

I'm now working just 10 miles from home...so within easy cycling distance.  Just wondering what the routine you have.  Do you leave clothes at the office/workplace?  Is it pretty much essential to take a shower when you get in?  I'm just toying with the idea.  I used to do loads of cycling, but have not even owned a bike for a few years now.

Thanks.

Generally leave trousers in the changing room with a towel, change them at the weekends. Carry in new shirt and underwear etc each day. Depends on your facilities at work where you can keep stuff. I'd say a shower is essential at that distance, unless you ride at walking pace! Nice feeling walking into the office fresh out the shower. But generally the best feeling comes from flying past all the suckers stuck in the nose to tail traffic in their cars. Witchelstowe was completely backed up all the way to wootton Bassett road Wednesday afternoon, never ever seen it that bad. I just flew past everyone with an inane grin, would've pulled a wheelie just to rub more salt into the wound of those stuck there, if I could on my roadie...I'm no Peter Sagan.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1668 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 20:59:54 »

I cycle to work some days (7 miles) and we don't have showers so I shower before I go and layer up with deo and apply some more at work. I have a bag that sits on a rear pannier so I don't have a rucksack that makes your back sweat profusely which helps massively.

I leave a pair of shoes at work as these are heavy along with hair gel and deo. Trousers, shirt, tie, etc I take with me. I work it a town centre so its easy if I forget something.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1669 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 21:02:05 »

I have a creak on my MTB that comes from the stem/headset which annoys me but I find a strip down, a re-grease and GT85 stops it for a few months....and then it comes back.

Clicking when pedaling has to be the worst so I understand your pain...............
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1670 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 22:19:50 »

Thanks.

I have cycle commuted on a regular basis (90%+ of my journeys) for the last 12- 13 years and have always been at a location with showers. These did however, on occasion, go faulty and be out of action. Remedy- small hand towel/ large face cloth and stand in front of a sink in the gents (warn your colleagues of your routine first!) and give yourself a good wipe down with a damp cloth. Failing that, baby wipes in the pits and crotch area at a minimum. Trousers and footwear stayed at work as did deo/ anti perspirant and a comb. Shirt was gently rolled and carried in my pannier/ rucksack. Rolling neatly reduces the creasing you get with folding. Keep a spare pair of underwear and socks at work for those facepalm moments.

It might feel like a bit of a chore at first but, persevere and it quickly develops into a fantastic way to wake up and start the day. Even in the bad weather. The look on traffic jammed cagers faces when a smiling cyclist stops at the lights, singing rain based songs to himself is priceless Grin
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1671 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 23:26:28 »

Drive. Cycle in the evening and at weekends
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1672 on: Friday, September 19, 2014, 08:23:32 »

I can only echo others comments - leave heavy stuff (shoes and shower gel) or stuff you'll need day in day out (troosers, gel etc) at work and only take a shirt/tie combo and pants and socks in on a daily basis.
alternatively if you've got space at work leave a weeks worth of shirts, pants and socks then enjoy not having to lug shit around!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1673 on: Friday, September 19, 2014, 22:54:16 »

Drive. Cycle in the evening and at weekends

Cycle to work AND in the evenings and at weekends........
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1674 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 17:53:56 »

Thanks NMH - will take a look

Cheers Bennett - I like that !!
also:
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-footwear/northwave-sonic-3s-cycling-shoes-fluo/black/10896858.html

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1675 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 18:59:34 »

And those. Of only they had a ratchet
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1676 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 19:04:25 »

Looking to buy some kit for my mtb rides. Recently got a hi vis jacket, most of my riding is off road but can include country lanes.
I'm after a hi vis compact ruck sack and possibly a saddle bag. Also a decent and compact pump.
Can anyone recommend a local shop or the best place online?  Ta.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1677 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 21:12:56 »

if you've got presta valves i've got a pump and saddle bag you can have for cheaps mr 4d.

£10.99 rucksack cover:
http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/528291

alternatively a cheap hi viz on amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/VISIBILITY-RUCKSACK-BACKPACK-BEST-SELLER/dp/B004TMV8R4/ref=sr_1_5?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1411420468&sr=1-5

no idea if either are decent. my crazy bright shoes are enough to warn drivers of my presence
« Last Edit: Monday, September 22, 2014, 21:15:32 by bennett » Logged

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1678 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 22:09:42 »

I have Schrader valves,  Mr Bennett  Wink but thanks.

I did see this earlier.....

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-backpack-764851?colcode=76485113
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1679 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 06:21:48 »

seems ideal! but you'd need pink shoes to go with it

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: