Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Powerpoint training  (Read 10553 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 13:47:41 »

Plenty of people (especially older people who didn't grow up with them) don't know how to perform basic functions, such as navigating Windows and using a mouse, on a computer. If you don't know what a web browser is, don't know what a url is, don't know what a search engine is then using Google to self train isn't really an option.

It's not scraping the barrel - there are plenty of people I've helped, some of whom couldn't even turn a computer on. Saying they shouldn't be allowed to use computers is just naive, ignorant and rude.

Whatever you do, don't get a job as an IT trainer or working in IT support as you wouldn't last 5 seconds.

Instructions....

1) Push that button to turn on.
2) Double click that icon to open browser
3) Type in www.google.com
4) Type in your search query
5) Press enter

THAT IS IT

I stand by what I said. If following those 5 simple instructions is beyond you, then computers are not for you. If they can't achieve that, how the fuck could they be expected to achieve anything else?

walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 13:50:06 »

Instructions....

5) Press enter

THAT IS IT

I stand by what I said. If following those 5 simple instructions is beyond you, then computers are not for you. If they can't achieve that, how the fuck could they be expected to achieve anything else?

Technically it'll be 6 steps where do they type address for google?
Flashheart

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 13:54:53 »

You got me there Walcot, that'll be a mind blower.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:01:21 »

Instructions....

5) Press enter

THAT IS IT

- You forgot to turn on the monitor.
- What about selecting an account and logging on?
- You haven't shown them how to use a mouse.
- What does double click mean?
- What about single click?
- What is the enter key?
- What if there isn't an icon for the browser on the desktop?
- Where do they type in the url?
- Where do they type the search query?

Because it's so simple to you, you've made the mistake of assuming it will be simple for everyone else and it's not.

It was interesting watching my niece and nephew learn how to use a computer, they basically just copied with some trial and error thrown in. Remember my nephew sitting at the computer (when he was tiny and hadn't been talking for long) and then using Google to search for some Disney characters when he'd never been shown how to do anything. His explanation (using hand gestures and garbled words) was; I saw you double click on that thing, then type google.com there so I did that and then I copied the Disney character name from the packaging on my toy and it brings up pictures. Adults don't think like that, hence the saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:04:14 by jonny72 » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:04:01 »

This thread reminds me of work...booo.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Flashheart

« Reply #35 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:05:03 »

My word
Flashheart

« Reply #36 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:08:41 »

Try this......

It is understandable that somebody completely new to computers will be clueless and will perhaps take some time to find their way around. Fair enough, it's to be expected.

But if they don't have the nous to get to grips with the very basics, how on Earth can they be expected ti get to grips with the more advanced stuff?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:11:34 »

Pericarp posts on here! Nuff said.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:18:42 »

Try this......

It is understandable that somebody completely new to computers will be clueless and will perhaps take some time to find their way around. Fair enough, it's to be expected.

But if they don't have the nous to get to grips with the very basics, how on Earth can they be expected ti get to grips with the more advanced stuff?

Depends on your definition of advanced stuff.

You learn the basics, same as anything and you pick it up as you go along.

One of the most frustrating things i've ever done is try to teach my Mother how to use a computer. Now she uses email, browses and all sorts.
Flashheart

« Reply #39 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:21:40 »

Depends on your definition of advanced stuff.

You learn the basics, same as anything and you pick it up as you go along.

One of the most frustrating things i've ever done is try to teach my Mother how to use a computer. Now she uses email, browses and all sorts.

But she did learn the basics and from there, she went on to learn more.

Johnny is using examples of teaching people to use powerpoint, for example, when they can't turn the machine on yet. How could anybody get anything from a computer that isn't turned on?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:31:20 »

Johnny is using examples of teaching people to use powerpoint, for example, when they can't turn the machine on yet. How could anybody get anything from a computer that isn't turned on?

No I'm not. I was replying to this comment and then you jumped in;

Google is the only thing you need to learn any computer based skill.

I was making the point that using Google is a computer based skill and there are a lot of steps before that for a novice.
pvsmark

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:34:42 »

I train people on CAD and other software and if you cant bloody use google to figure stuff out for yourself you shouldn't be in a job that involves using computers imo. And powerpoint is just like word with fancy effects, its a piece of piss to learn.
Flashheart

« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:34:56 »

No I'm not. I was replying to this comment and then you jumped in;

- You forgot to turn on the monitor.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:35:54 »

There you go cookie, pm pvs
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #44 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:39:52 »

It's not scraping the barrel - there are plenty of people I've helped, some of whom couldn't even turn a computer on. Saying they shouldn't be allowed to use computers is just naive, ignorant and rude.

Whatever you do, don't get a job as an IT trainer or working in IT support as you wouldn't last 5 seconds.

If you can't turn a computer on, you shouldn't being using a computer. There, I said it.

PS, I've worked in IT support for 12 years, I have no formal qualifications. Today, I installed some SSL certificates on a load balancer to get an internal website working on port 443. I did not know how to do this, so I learned. Using Google.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: