Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Powerpoint training  (Read 10555 times)
Cookie

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:02:54 »

Dear TEF,

I've been tasked by my boss to  become a powerpoint master. Do any of you bastards have experience of training in powerpoint and if so can you recommend me a training centre or any alternative to getting proper good at it?

Thanks in advance
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:07:20 »

What version and what sort of thing are you trying to achieve?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:07:57 »

Are you sure he doesn't want you to just plug things in?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:18:58 »

Teach yourself like everyone else does
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:22:46 »

Work have 2007 installed although have 2010 at home so whichever is best. What I'm trying to acheive is a good understanding of all the functionality available to be able to produce decent looking presentations. I guess being able to produce something along the lines of the presentations in the link below.

http://labnol.blogspot.co.uk/2007/05/best-powerpoint-presentations-in-world.html

Actually looking at them I'd probably also need to become a good graphic designer too which isn't going to happen overnight. So I probably just need a course to show me all the bells and whistles which I might not find by bumbling through myself.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:27:25 »

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-powerpoint/

These are quite good books. Ideal for first users.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0735627282/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0538748435&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=06CK692CEN50R1A8YZN8

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:44:58 »

Highlight everything.

Animation > Fly In From Right

Job done.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 14:50:43 »

Don't bother with any of it. Do any presentations David Brent style, with a boom box and a baseball cap.
Dozno9

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 16:04:19 »

I'm a PowerPoint trainer at work and a few tips I would give are;

Don't overkill the animations it will take away from what you are saying.

PowerPoint is meant to assist you and highlight main points in your presentation only and is not meant to be your presentation it can remove personality from it.

Don't put on paragraphs and read word for word use bullet lines and print off notes pages and add your own notes to them to remind yourself if you need to embellish a section.

Keep all fonts the same and only have 2 or 3 sizes.

If you're using a new version then add border effects to pictures, something simple and if you have slide with only text on add a simple small picture to the corner somewhere to break the text up, a white stick man is the type I often use.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 16:14:45 by Azza » Logged
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 16:13:58 »

Don't overkill the animations it will take away from what you are saying.

fuck that!

Make everything fly in, spin then explode when you've finished making your point, all with accompanying sound effects obviously.

Dozno9

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 16:15:47 »

fuck that!

Make everything fly in, spin then explode when you've finished making your point, all with accompanying sound effects obviously.

One of my sales guys added applause once to his sales figures when they came up.  No
Coca Fola

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 16:21:08 »

One of my sales guys added applause once to his sales figures when they came up.  No
Cheesy
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 17:24:50 »

I'm a big fan of Train Signal (trainsignal.com) training video's. I've never tried their Office stuff but I've used their IT certification videos (Cisco, Microsoft, VMware) and they are better than anything else I've seen.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 23:49:15 »

I'm a big fan of Train Signal (trainsignal.com) training video's. I've never tried their Office stuff but I've used their IT certification videos (Cisco, Microsoft, VMware) and they are better than anything else I've seen.

Agree, have used Train Signal myself and also Lynda.com.  Lynda have a free week trial which is long enough to take a single course.
china red

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 00:19:48 »

White back ground, black font.  Have something decent to say and the PPT is not so important
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: