Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shearer or Austin?  (Read 13942 times)
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 10:12:50 »

No mention of Martin Williams or Steve Cowe?
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 10:16:43 »

We've had some great strikers down the years....some have done it for the odd season, some have done it for longer....I would have loved to have seen Harold and Harry play...Archie Bown, or Freddie Wheatcroft, who like Alan Fowler 30 years later made the ultimate sacrifice, in defence of our country. Jack Johnson was another who had a near 1 in 2 strike rate through the 20's.

Post war, we had Morris Jones, Bob Edwards and of course Maurice Owen, not forgetting John Stephens who notched 25 in a season before moving on to West Ham.

I saw Maurice play, but by then as full back, as he gradually withdrew from up front, to take on all jobs at the CG, including groundsman and wages packet dispenser.

In the 50 years I've been going, there's been a massive list of quality strikers, some already mentioned some a bit forgotten, and not just because they were a while back....top of the forgotten list I'd put Iffy Onuora, one of only 3 men to score 20 league goals in a 2nd tier season.

You must be ancient!  Cheesy ......

Was that the season Craig Brown admitted eyeing him up for the Scottish National Team?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 10:23:27 »

Why is he?
He was probably the most arrogant Swindon player I have known, hardly ever had any time for an Town fans when they asked for his autograph, several players did not like him at all and struggled training with him, ask Moncur, Fenwick and Kilcline who all had major bust ups with him and his "attitude".

Thats all I am prepared to put on the subject on here.

As a player he was awesome though and some things can be forgiven if he produces the goods on the field.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 10:25:47 »

You must be ancient!  Cheesy ......

Was that the season Craig Brown admitted eyeing him up for the Scottish National Team?

98/99...may well have been, we were mostly shite that year, McMahon got sacked Jimmy Quinn came in, and we just about managed to stay up, because Iffy would find a way to knock in an important goal every so often.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 11:14:30 »

Watch out, DV will be on you in a flash
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 11:29:26 »

Steve White, great in the air!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 11:49:17 »

Have to say not heard any of this about Jan before. Big shame if true. My only contact with him merely consisted of asking for an autograph as a kiddie. He signed that with a smile. Admittedly it was only "Jan F" but you can hardly blame him with a name like that.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 12:01:27 »

Have to say not heard any of this about Jan before. Big shame if true. My only contact with him merely consisted of asking for an autograph as a kiddie. He signed that with a smile. Admittedly it was only "Jan F" but you can hardly blame him with a name like that.
You don't have to be nice to be successful.

Jan was a great player for us, the quality of which we may never get again but all hope we will.

Some players are great people but not good footballers....it is fairly rare to get both.

mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 12:06:20 »

Was never fortunate enough to have seen Shearer play live (have seen YouTube clips though), he was a bit before I started going. Out of the later players Parkin was unbelievable for us, scored 20 + goals three seasons in a row with two seasons being in average sides. Without the injuries he would've gone on and played higher for longer. Cox was an all round brilliant player, scored all types, very skillfull and a nice guy too. I've said it before and I'll say it again for me Austin is the best finisher I've seen play for us, hugely prolific, goals to games ratio is frightening, right place at the right time and I think he'll play PL before too long.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 12:10:02 by mrverve » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 12:15:53 »

Well. when people are discussing the Town's best strikers, those 2 are hardly at the forefront
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 14:42:42 »

He was probably the most arrogant Swindon player I have known, hardly ever had any time for an Town fans when they asked for his autograph, several players did not like him at all and struggled training with him, ask Moncur, Fenwick and Kilcline who all had major bust ups with him and his "attitude".

Thats all I am prepared to put on the subject on here.

As a player he was awesome though and some things can be forgiven if he produces the goods on the field.

..... pm?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 14:48:18 »

I've got a picture somewhere of JAF, with my 2 lads when they were about 5 and 7, he couldn't have been more helpful or all round pleasant......
Peter Venkman

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 14:50:10 »

I've got a picture somewhere of JAF, with my 2 lads when they were about 5 and 7, he couldn't have been more helpful or all round pleasant......
Nice.

I worked for the club at the time and knew a different side of him.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 14:52:53 by JJEdmunds » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 14:52:58 »

Never met fjortoft so dunno what he was lke. I've met a few players and ex players- managers town and others and they've mostly been talkative and friendly.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 14:53:55 »

Nice.

Yes, it is quite a nice pic Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: