Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bradley Wiggins  (Read 19199 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 21:34:36 »

Almost a shame he's done this in an Olympic year - if he doesn't pick up Sports Personality it'll be a travesty.
They should just make up an award for him.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 21:43:10 »

They should just make up an award for him.
stuck in the brit pop era look of the year?
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 22:33:26 »

Almost a shame he's done this in an Olympic year - if he doesn't pick up Sports Personality it'll be a travesty.

10/11 on at the moment, nearest challenger is Jessica Whatsername at 4's, Mo Farah could be worth a punt, he won £250k on The Cube after all
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 23:57:40 »

Am I missing something about Tour De France time classifications? So wiggins is a couple of mins ahead. If he falls off his bike tomorrow, or at any stage, the others will close that gap. But there never seems to be more than a very marginal difference in times....
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 06:16:01 »

For those like me who don't understand cycling too well, from what I gather Wiggins is leading the tour because overall his accumulative time is better then anyone else's. What I'd like to know is what difference is there between say time trialists, sprinters etc?

If wiggins wins does that make him overall a better rider then say someone like cavendish who is a sprinter?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 07:24:34 »

Think I'm right in thinking that all riders in the peloton are given the same time?  So if that's right, all a leader has to do is stay a part of the peloton and he knows that his lead in any given stage can be eroded by no more than the time difference between the stage leader and the leader of the peloton?

If that's wrong, someone pls help me out.  Thanks.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 07:30:55 »

For those like me who don't understand cycling too well, from what I gather Wiggins is leading the tour because overall his accumulative time is better then anyone else's. What I'd like to know is what difference is there between say time trialists, sprinters etc?

If wiggins wins does that make him overall a better rider then say someone like cavendish who is a sprinter?
Well I'm no expert but to give you an idea, Wiggins is 1hr 38minutes ahead of Peter Sagan, who is going to win the green jersey by a country mile. He is no less than 3hrs 28 minutes ahead of Mark Cavendish, who won the green jersey last year. The main difference is that those guys can't ride in the mountains (well they can ride but they're just not very good relatively speaking). In the mountain stages they will be finishing way down the field whereas the Wiggins and Froomes of this world will be right up the front.

You ask what the difference is between him and time triallists, well Wiggins and Froome are the best time triallists around. They were first and second yesterday (edit: yesterday was a time trial stage). Wiggins was 1 minute 16 seconds ahead of Froome who in turn was 34 seconds ahead of the third places rider. In other words, they absolutely smashed it.

In answer to the question about what if Wiggins fell off today, I guess the whole peloton would just stop and if absolutely necessary would carry him over the line. The last stage traditionally is just a procession which may sound strange but that's just how it is. The one aspect in which it definitely is not a procession though is for the stage win, which is where Cavendish comes in. While Mark Cavendish is going at it hell for leather and the other sprinters are trying and failing to keep up, Wiggins will be safely tucked back in the main field. And as you can see from the times above, none of the sprinters are even remotely a threat to the yellow jersey.

And yes, what you are saying is correct Ardiles.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 07:44:57 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 07:40:47 »

Yep, today's stage is a weird one. They'll all stick together (no breaks) until they hit the Champs Élysées and the they go balls out for the stage win. Just to give the punters something to get excited about.

Think the only way he won't win SPOTY is if Mo Farah does the 5,000 and 10,000 double.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 07:45:30 »

I think we'll see Wiggins as part of Cav's lead out today, dress rehearsal for next week, rather than taking it easy.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 07:51:08 »

Yep, today's stage is a weird one. They'll all stick together (no breaks) until they hit the Champs Élysées and the they go balls out for the stage win. Just to give the punters something to get excited about.

Think the only way he won't win SPOTY is if Mo Farah does the 5,000 and 10,000 double.

I think you're right... but as much as I love Mo, Wiggo would still deserve it more. The public would probably go for Farah though.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 07:51:54 »

I've enjoyed it watching it again this year although I'd be lying if i said I really understood it. It always makes me want to buy a road bike,then I remember i'm 41 and clinically obese.

/
W56196272
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 08:01:33 »

I think we'll see Wiggins as part of Cav's lead out today, dress rehearsal for next week, rather than taking it easy.

Absolutely, just like he did on Friday.

Wiggins and Frome will be busting a gut in the last 10K to get Cav in position.  Once it gets to the last 3km anyone in a crash gets the time as the winner of the stage so no need for Wiggins/Frome to play it safe.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 08:19:04 »

I've enjoyed it watching it again this year although I'd be lying if i said I really understood it. It always makes me want to buy a road bike,then I remember i'm 41 and clinically obese.
you wont be 6 months after buying the bike
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 08:19:35 »

Think I'm right in thinking that all riders in the peloton are given the same time?  So if that's right, all a leader has to do is stay a part of the peloton and he knows that his lead in any given stage can be eroded by no more than the time difference between the stage leader and the leader of the peloton?

If that's wrong, someone pls help me out.  Thanks.

Wrong. They are all individually timed.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 08:29:37 »

No, Ardiles is correct, when the peloton finishes together every rider in it gets the time of the rider at the front of the peloton, even though the peloton takes tens of seconds, and possibly even a couple of minutes, to cross the finish line - there is a rule that if one rider finishes less than one second behind another then he is credited with the same finishing time as the first.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: