Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bradley Wiggins  (Read 19525 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 19:44:31 »

Don't really 'do' Tour de France, but Bradley Wiggins has all but won - being the first Brit to ever do so. Congrats...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/9417545/Bradley-Wiggins-wins-penultimate-stage-time-trial-and-will-now-become-first-ever-British-winner-of-Tour-de-France.html

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 19:47:43 »

I fucking love Wiggo...

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
stfcinbmth

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 19:47:54 »

So he can't fall off and blow it then?
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 19:52:48 »

He just has to finish, I think

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 19:55:54 »

It is of course possible, yesterday 2 or 3 riders were brought down on a closed motorway, by someone who'd let their dog get out of control. It's just that it never does happen...the ride into Paris is ceremonial.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:01:04 »

I think if something like that happened, after Le Gent let Evans catch him up the other day the riders would do something to help him out, Wiggins has done enough to show he's the best this year.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:04:21 »

Huge achievement, nothing in the Olympics will even come close to matching this. I don't think even Team Sky would have envisaged having a British 1-2 on the podium.

Wiggins has had an incredible season, nobody had ever won Paris-Nice, Tour of Romandie and the Dauphine in the same year, he's not only done that, he's won the tour as well.

Chapeau...
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:17:37 »

Awesome pair of sideys ...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:23:02 »

Massive credit is also due to Chris Froome who has had an amazing tour and even more remarkably will make it a GB 1 an 2. He's going to win it sooner rather than later.

The cycling events in the Olympics will certainly be interesting.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:24:40 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:27:20 »

Not sure about that OST. Team Sky are the reason Froome's done so well and Wiggins today has showed what a class above he is, by destroying the field.

Froome's whining (and his Mrs' whining) won't have done his chances much good I think.

I like the way the mail describe Froome as a kenyan rider, due to his place of birth, brought up in South Africa too, so I'm more interested in Cavendish and Wiggins than Froome to be honest.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:39:50 »

Not sure about that OST. Team Sky are the reason Froome's done so well and Wiggins today has showed what a class above he is, by destroying the field.

Froome's whining (and his Mrs' whining) won't have done his chances much good I think.

I like the way the mail describe Froome as a kenyan rider, due to his place of birth, brought up in South Africa too, so I'm more interested in Cavendish and Wiggins than Froome to be honest.
Do me a favour Jan. So you don't think it has anything to do with him being rather good at riding a bicycle?

The way he tore up the Pyrenees a couple of days ago was an incredible ride regardless of what team he is on. I was knackered just watching it. The reason Team Sky are so good is because of riders like Froome, not the other way round.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:43:31 »

Obviously the lad is talented, what I'm saying is he'll need a hell of a team to win a future Tour de France, just like Wiggins has had this year.

Don't think it's as easy as saying 'He's going to win it sooner rather than later' though, there's a lot of variables that could go for or against the lad.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:48:35 »

There have been 2 occasions in the mountains when Froome could have riden away from Wiggins but hung bag to support Wiggins.  Froome is the better climber with Wiggo the better time trialist, it would have been a close race if they were on different teams.

Wiggins has made history in terms if British sport, top bloke as well.

Now for Cav to hopefully take the sprint tomorrow and gold next Saturday.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 21:18:23 »

Obviously the lad is talented, what I'm saying is he'll need a hell of a team to win a future Tour de France, just like Wiggins has had this year.

Don't think it's as easy as saying 'He's going to win it sooner rather than later' though, there's a lot of variables that could go for or against the lad.

But as you quite rightly say, he has a hell of a team - Team Sky. And yes, of course there are all sorts of variables - he may get hit by a bus or eaten by a lion or abducted by aliens - who knows?? All things being equal though, barring injury or spontaneous internal combustion, he will win the Tour 'sooner rather than later'.

On another note, one other thing that should not be forgotten is that we've had no less then four British stage winners this season - David Milllar going along with Wiggins, Froome and Cavendish.

Any way, on to tomorrow and if we see a repeat of this tomorrow it will make it the perfect Tour...

un-be-lieveable...

Weasel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 21:32:58 »

Almost a shame he's done this in an Olympic year - if he doesn't pick up Sports Personality it'll be a travesty.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: