Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...  (Read 19331 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #180 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 06:54:36 »

Stories such as this in the Old and New Testament can be taken as not literal but as a metaphoric understanding of lessons and teachings.

Why?

Why would god write the bible metaphorically?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 07:24:08 »

Good didn't. Man did. Several years after Christ. Chinese whispers anyone?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 08:40:47 »

Love the chinese whispers theory, Batch.

I can accept that I may be wrong in my Christian beliefs but the idea that the bible all came about as a result of a hilarious mix-up, Life of Brian-style is both thought provoking and funny.

Whoever did in fact write the bible (beardy bloke himself or the Batch theory), Flasheart asks Azza, why metaphor?

Religious context or not, metaphor is a bloody handy tool for getting across ideas on the human condition, the universe and everything.

You can't always go for a Haines manual with facts and detailed pictures and illustrations.  I'd be a little sceptical as to the ability of say, science, to explain a simple metaphor although it creates good theories on some of the big stuff.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 08:53:15 »

Its not my theory Wink I though it was fairly well established the New Testament was written 50 or 60 years after Christ onwards.

Do you think that stories of Christ really remained unaltered over 6 decades? As I say, it will be subject of the rules of Chinese Whispers, tales based on fact but somewhat altered as handed from one person to the other.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 08:53:56 »

I'm not religious and have children. Funnily enough we don't really mention lack of religion or equally a lack of a god. I think this would be normal, why would atheists parents proactively poke holes in the religious just because they don't believe?
I was just ironically flipping the idea that passing on religious values or ideas is somehow harmful (with the contrasting  implication that passing non-religious ideas or no values would not be harmful). 

I'm sure you pass on good values and non-religous ones at that including in due course Pint and meanwhile STFC4eva
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 08:55:04 »

Oh I see, missed the context there sorry.
Flashheart

« Reply #186 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 10:35:43 »

Sicko and a drunk. Have you ever seen the nerve in a giraffes neck? The one that is badly "designed", due to it's evolution? Needless to say we don't need to go on to the eye, or the many other badly "designed" parts of living creatures.

While searching for the above, I saw the below. This truly is superb.

Found it......

This one's a classic Barry, start it at 25 minutes

Barry Scott

« Reply #187 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 12:05:25 »

Found it......

This one's a classic Barry, start it at 25 minutes

Just watched it on the throne. That's tough going. Dawkins has the patience of a saint.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 12:22:54 »

Dawkins has the patience of a saint.

A Saint minus all that religious stuff Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: