Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Black iPhone 4 32gb for sale  (Read 3787 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 23:44:02 »

Thanks, I will have a look. I suppose I can then install Twonky for transcoding across the network into my DNLA devices?

I was thinking about a QNAP or Synology, but I'm now starting to warm to a Netgear ReadyNAS. They can also transcode and support Time Machine, so despite my hatred, they do seem to tick all the boxes.

I have a hobby server in my lounge and running a server that also doubles as a NAS does hold some appeal.

Never used Twonky, but from a quick read you'd just need to bring up a Linux virtual machine and run it on that. The VMware vSphere Hypervisor is just a virtualisor that allows you to run multiple OS's on a single server, except it runs directly on the hardware rather than under a host OS.

I've got a 4 bay Synology as well. They do a lot of stuff out of the box which is good if you can make use of it and they have iPhone apps which are very useful. Wouldn't use it (or any 3rd party NAS) for Time Machine though, mine kept getting trashed and I gave up on it eventually.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 06:19:23 »

I'm sort of the same. I want my phone and computer to just work, leaves me with more time to play with more important stuff like servers, virtualisation, networking and so on.

With regards to the NAS, have a look at the HP Micro Server. They cost about £250 but there is a seemingly permanent £100 cash back offer, so it works out about £150. Whilst the cpu is low spec and it's only got 2Gb ram / 250Gb hard drive, you can up the ram to 8Gb for £30 and it's got four drive bays (no optical drive though).

Get one then install the free VMware Hypervisor and install OpenFiler (available as a VMware appliance). You've now got your NAS and it will be able to run some extra OS's on top. I've got a copy of XP running on it solely for downloading, plus I've normally got a few web servers running on it for development purposes. Also got SBS 2011 running on it. Handles it all fine.

Surely all those VMs just take up resources though? And I thought you wanted an out-of-the-box solution, not something to tinker with Wink

Anway, you could just use something like FreeNAS or Nas4Free as your OS which will do all of that (except SBS 2011 of course). Pre-installed services include usual NAS stuff like SAMBA, Rsync, FTP, SSH etc. As for your extras, it can be used as a webserver, uPNP media server and there's also a torrent downloader in the latest version.

With it being nix based, it's very easy to add additional packages like jdownloader.

And Barry, both FreeNAS and N4F support hardware & software RAID and ZFS which will be all you need for data integrity purposes. It supports Time Machine too, but I've never used it.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 14:06:03 »

And I thought you wanted an out-of-the-box solution, not something to tinker with Wink

No, I said I've got better things to do with my time than getting my mobile to work properly.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 16:07:40 »

So how much does Barry make from this site?  Cheesy

jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 16:21:59 »

Just dont like it mate, prefer the Iphone

I did exactly the same a couple of weeks back...I quick like mine as it happens.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #35 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 20:12:41 »

No idea to be honest, but lithium ion batteries do have a limited shelf life. And no doubt Apple would rape me for changing something that you should be able to do yourself!

I would suggest actually doing this yourself. Or ask Pericarp to throw in one of his amazing USB charge things with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: