Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you write a cover letter and do it well  (Read 11223 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 15:30:18 »

I normally just put that I'm applying for job xxxx and my availability for interviews, especially if it's through an agency.

Maybe put a bit more if I'm applying direct to the company and a bit more on top if it's a smaller company. If it's a big company it will go through their personnel department and be filtered by a recruiter first, who will know fuck all about the job and so just looks for key words and relevant experience in the CV.

I'd put the extra effort in to the CV - short, to the point and well presented.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 15:31:25 »

so to sum it up, keep it short, sell myself and check through for grammer and spelling.

cheers for the help Cheesy

So, something along the lines of...........

Dear Sirs,

I'm good at IT.
Gis a job.

Cheers,
WR
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 15:35:09 »

Good correction!! Smiley

Ha

Was tempting to leave it as it was.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 15:38:02 »

so to sum it up, keep it short, sell myself and check through for grammer and spelling.

cheers for the help Cheesy

grammar it's grammar...
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 15:40:57 »

Are you applying for an advertised position WR? If so, do they not provide an application form?

No, it's a speculative cover letter.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 15:42:18 »

No, it's a speculative cover letter.

Well that's different then. Just Google for "IT job cover letter" and you'll find plenty of good examples, some good ones just came up from Google Images. Find a few good ones and then copy, paste and customise.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 19:45:04 »

I've got a zip file with a number of sample cover letters if you want it. A PM will do the trick!
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 19:51:09 »

I'm not sure sending a PM to a prospective employer is the right protocol when applying for a job.
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 19:53:17 »

I'm not sure sending a PM to a prospective employer is the right protocol when applying for a job.

I'm guessing not. Especially if writing "Send me the fucking zip file then, you cunting fuckwit"
Flashheart

« Reply #24 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 19:55:27 »

Might hinder one's chances a tad.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 20:07:07 »

I've got a zip file with a number of sample cover letters if you want it. A PM will do the trick!

There's bloomin' loads in there I'm fairly sure there something there I can use.

Thanks again
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 20:12:10 »

No problem. Have a look in your local library for a book by James Innes, specifically on Cover Letters (not read it myself, but did use his CV book to good effect recently).
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 9, 2012, 21:00:03 »

Grammar, it's grammar...

Try and make it either short and to the point or vaguely interesting. I've had to sift through applications on occasions and trust me, if you read a whole bunch of them the one with something interesting in it stands out, a bit of personality in it so it doesn't look like you just Googled "What do I write in a covering letter". There's a line though, wacky is not where you want to be.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 06:55:53 »

Thought I'd stick this in here, it seems to be all about advice etc.

Anyway how do you write a decent cover letter?
Make sure the cover letter is brief and includes a bullet point that confirms your experience that matches the job role responsibilities
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 08:43:39 »

Just thought I'd let you know, since I originally asked for advice on cover letters, i've had at least three interviews and another 4 invitations to intervierws, and one job offer. Cheers for the help.  Too Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: