Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Desktop wireless connection help request  (Read 4676 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 05:59:30 »

My wife's friends have switch broadband provider from BT to Utility Warehouse (?? presumably they are a broker). The switch involved changing the homehub to a new router - a Technicolor branded TG582n.

Issue : Acer desktop PC - Slow/no loading of certain pages such as facebook game apps. Lottery flash app. Etc.

I tried running speedtest.net - I can get sensible downlink speeds (3.2 meg from 3.9 synch) but no uplink connectivity whatsoever - its not slow, it just fails to connect.

I think this is the root cause of the issue - poor connectivity. I can web surf though, with the occasional lockout where service seems to stop and resume after a while.

I am sure this is a local connectivity issue - I can not connect into the router during these "outages".

All other laptops in the house work fine, as did my own.

Things I have tried

Direct cable connectivity - seems to work fine.

With wireless:
- Disable firewall (kasperski)
- Tried various wireless channels (inSSIDer showing just one other wifi net visible)
- Tried disable of wireless security
- Tried deleting PCI card/driver from device manager and reinstalling following reboot

Things yet to try The obvious thing is to eliminate a co-incidental OS issue or hardware failure. I thought the best way of doing this would be to bring the PC to my house and try it on my tried and tested DG834G - though obviously this isn't "n" capable wifi.

Unknowns
- PC OS - pretty sure its Windows 7 but not sure of edition (doh!)
- Wireless card in PC is Realtek RTL8190, the latest official drivers I found were early 2010 ??
- 582's firmware version

Does anybody have any further advice they can offer in zeroing in on the issue?

Has anyone come across anything like this before? (tried a search, didn't see anything obvious).

Thanks in advance,
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 07:51:18 »

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 07:54:13 »

Now you mention it..... Smiley
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 07:57:46 »

When the connection drops (locks up) does it show the limited connectivity icon in the taskbar?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 08:32:58 »

I had a similar problem with Kaspersky and in the end (cos I am lazy) just uninstalled Kaspersky then reinstalled the driver and it worked.

When I disabled the firewall it made no difference and only when I uninstalled it fully did it work.

Not sure what the problem was with the way it handled the firewall but it basically shut down all internet access even though the network settings were fine.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 13:15:28 »

When the connection drops (locks up) does it show the limited connectivity icon in the taskbar?

It does indeed show the yellow triangle of frustration at times (not always).

I'll take a look at that JJ. Thanks.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 14:43:27 »

Upgrade Tecnicolour router firmware if there is one available

Beg steal or borrow a decent wireless router not some ISP supplied cheap crap and try that
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 14:56:59 »

I had a similar problem with Kaspersky and in the end (cos I am lazy) just uninstalled Kaspersky then reinstalled the driver and it worked.

Don't know why people still bother with Kaspersky, AVG and similar home security software. They all cause far more problems than they solve, I remove them from any PC's I work on and put Microsoft Security Essentials on instead - works just as well and doesn't cause anywhere near the same level of problems.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 15:01:57 »

Don't know why people still bother with Kaspersky, AVG and similar home security software. They all cause far more problems than they solve, I remove them from any PC's I work on and put Microsoft Security Essentials on instead - works just as well and doesn't cause anywhere near the same level of problems.
I do that as well, I tell them to put their £30 a year payment back in their pockets and use MSE instead, its at least as good, free and is less resource hungry.

stfcinbmth

« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 15:28:48 »

Hacking and unlocking Homehubs. If you have time on your hands Batch

http://www.psidoc.com/
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 15:36:04 »

I had several cases of mse lettting some nasty stuff through - take virus checker stuff, hence personally went back to Kaspersky. It was 12 for 3 pc paper annum.

But I didn't put Kaspersky on the problem pc, it was already there.

Will try pc on my router, couldn't find a firmware upgrade for theres, seems to be push only or well hidden.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 15:45:48 »

If it's not the AV/firewall, I'd hazard a guess it might be the wireless card.

I had a problem with my old laptop where it would intermittently show that dastardly little yellow triangle. I tried everything like you have but nothing ever worked. (Un)fortunately the mobo fried before I got to the bottom of it and I've since replaced the router too, so I'm none the wiser. All I know is the new laptop/router combo has resulted in nil drop outs.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 15:57:25 »

Yeah, I'm guessing the same, some router/card capability issue. I bet the thing works fine on my router.

I suppose I can try and force it from wireless n to g, just to see if it resolves anything - you never know. If it doesn't work on my router then I'll investigate Kaspersky.

At the end of the day a new wireless card is not the expense it once was Smiley I just want to know now (saddo).
Peter Venkman

« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 6, 2012, 16:01:06 »

At the end of the day a new wireless card is not the expense it once was Smiley I just want to know now (saddo).

Yeah a network card can be bought for a desktop for less than a tenner these days.

And I agree....if there is a problem you HAVE to solve it, now its man vs machine!

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 15:19:04 »

Couldn't find a router firmware update. PC card seems to have the latest driver.

Forced the PCs network card to b/g mode. Seems to work fine so I'll assume it is a wireless 'n' compatibility issue.

Not exactly a solution as such. But they don't stream/copy across their network so it works for them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: