Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Laptop wireless connection help request  (Read 11836 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 14:35:16 »

I'm sure you have already tried it, but the good old fashioned turning it off and turning it back on again?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Barry Scott

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 15:12:37 »

My understanding is you're connected to the router but have no internet access yes? (I'm presuming under connections and sharing centre, you have a blue line from your pc to the router, but a red X between the router and the internet.)

What security do you have on the computer?

This might sound silly, but if the above is the state you're in, I've seen this numerous times and the way I some how seem to to solve this ridiculous problem is by deleting the network and trying to connect again from scratch.

Then, bizarrely, it's normally a case of clicking "home" when the box pops up, upon first connecting, that asks whether it's home, work or public. I can't recall the number of times I've seen internet access denied by ignoring/missing that stupid box.

[url width=628 height=516]http://i49.tinypic.com/xf24cp.jpg[/url]
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 15:34:38 »

Then, bizarrely, it's normally a case of clicking "home" when the box pops up, upon first connecting, that asks whether it's home, work or public. I can't recall the number of times I've seen internet access denied by ignoring/missing that stupid box.

The day I work out how the bloody hell I am supposed to network share a printer connected to an XP machine with a Windows 7 laptop will be a joyous day.

Normally I map a shared folder to the Windows 7 PC, then I map the printer and it seems to work. Any other combo - printer not found.

I've given up trying to understand it!
Barry Scott

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 15:54:26 »

The day I work out how the bloody hell I am supposed to network share a printer connected to an XP machine with a Windows 7 laptop will be a joyous day.

Normally I map a shared folder to the Windows 7 PC, then I map the printer and it seems to work. Any other combo - printer not found.

I've given up trying to understand it!

Indeed. I started a thread on here about a printer share between Vista and 7 'cause it was a fucking nightmare. I recall doing it some cack handed way by adding a printer on a non-existent port, then removing the port or something then re-adding the printer which found the drivers... I don't know, it melts my mind now.

I just remember if you did it the logical way it showed as installed and working, but it couldn't be printed to!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 18:15:46 »

You connected to the router using http://192.168.1.1 ?  Did you definitely have the cable unplugged when you did so? The "ipconfig/all"  had the cable connected!

Anyway there are absolutely no clues that I can see why things are going wrong, but at least we ruled a few out.

Will think of the next step once you confirm http://192.168.1.1 via web browser (without cable).

It wont do it entered in the internet page at the top but did via your instructions earlier. I was plugging in the ethernet in between making posts as i couldn't without it.

in the network and sharing page it says this computer====unidentified network====red cross====-internet. Don't get it?
That box doesn't pop up barry? Internet security is microsoft security essentials.

I get an excellent wireless connection but it say limited access and get nothing on a web page. I've tried turning everything on and off,deleting the network and connection and re-entering the wireless password etc.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 19:07:33 by arriba » Logged
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 18:22:31 »

I'm sure you have already tried it, but the good old fashioned turning it off and turning it back on again?

That's usually the best advice
Barry Scott

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 19:48:08 »

It wont do it entered in the internet page at the top but did via your instructions earlier. I was plugging in the ethernet in between making posts as i couldn't without it.

in the network and sharing page it says this computer====unidentified network====red cross====-internet. Don't get it?
That box doesn't pop up barry? Internet security is microsoft security essentials.

I get an excellent wireless connection but it say limited access and get nothing on a web page. I've tried turning everything on and off,deleting the network and connection and re-entering the wireless password etc.

Bear with me, because in many respects I'm clutching at straws and making random guesses, as I don't have access to a Windows machine (or actually know what I am doing for that matter)! It's just how I somehow manage to solve this problem (at least it sounds the same) with my old man's computer/s!

When you go into network and sharing centre, is the network listed as, public, unidentified network?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:03:43 »

It wont do it entered in the internet page at the top but did via your instructions earlier.

Eh? I meant do it in the internet browser address bar (where you normally type "thetownend.com").

At this point I'll let Bazza continue and only jump in if he hits a brick wall (or JJ must have some ideas too!).

I have a wireless issue of my own. I'll hijack this thread after yours is fixed.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:26:13 »

Eh? I meant do it in the internet browser address bar (where you normally type "thetownend.com").

hahaha
that's what i did and it didn't work.

Don't blame you for bombing out, it's my kids laptop and i'm close to giving up
stfcinbmth

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:28:11 »

You've changed the wireless channel in the router? Yes?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:30:22 »

Bear with me, because in many respects I'm clutching at straws and making random guesses, as I don't have access to a Windows machine (or actually know what I am doing for that matter)! It's just how I somehow manage to solve this problem (at least it sounds the same) with my old man's computer/s!

When you go into network and sharing centre, is the network listed as, public, unidentified network?

Er both...
Says this      Unidentified network(Public network)

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:32:13 »

You've changed the wireless channel in the router? Yes?

Nope. How do i do that? And considering the connection is excellent why would that help?
I'm sure the lap top is the issue not the router.
If its worth a go i'll try it though
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:38:42 »

It'll be the laptop.

Delete the wireless network connection then add it again but set the network location as 'home' like Barry mentioned earlier.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:46:36 »

I have not had the option to set up as 'home' i've never seen the page barry put up on the laptop.
Gotta go now. will check back in the morning.
thanks to all who have tried to help. fucking thing
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 20:48:32 »

I have not had the option to set up as 'home' i've never seen the page barry put up on the laptop.
Gotta go now. will check back in the morning.
thanks to all who have tried to help. fucking thing

It only offers you the choice when you first connect to the network. That's why you have to delete it and start again.

Well there probably is a way to change it, but its easier to start again...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: