Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bike advice  (Read 1681 times)
cired45

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 18:47:50 »

I know that there are quite a few townenders who are into cycling, I wonder if anyone can help an old fart whos just started again after too many years.  I have just bought a used Claud Butler with shimano atlus cantilever brakes.  One of the pads on the front is not releasing, I have trawled youtube and all they say is that there should be a 2 mil allun screw for adjustment, just my luck there is not one on my bike.  Anyone know an easy fix to save me from putting it in the shop?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 18:56:01 »

Do you mean it is stuck against the wheel rim?
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 19:07:51 »

The 2mm bolt is only on one side, and it should be there. It could of course have fallen out or have been removed. You release or tighten it depending on the position of each side of the brakes. Does the stuck side spring out if you push the other side against the rim?
cired45

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 19:16:59 »

I have looked all over but there is no 2 mil bolt cant even see where it might have fallen from, the stuck side does release if you press the other side in against the rim, any thoughts?
Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 19:22:51 »

In that case the spring is alright, but without that bolt, you can't bring it out. Just to clarify, it's only one bolt on the front pair and one bolt on the rear pair and it's not on the other side?

If it's not, the only thing you could try, which might work, although it's not ideal, is to take them both off and where there's normally 3 holes to mount the spring (it has a pin that sticks out that goes through a hole mounted on the forks/frame) try moving one side down a notch and the other side up, or some version of this. Alternatively, get some new ones off eBay for a few quid.
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 19:26:09 »

You can see the screw in this picture, sticking out of the right calliper just up from the main allen mounting bolt. (Don't mean to be patronising by the way!)

[url width=640 height=387]http://i47.tinypic.com/2dbnq13.jpg[/url]
cired45

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 19:46:40 »

Thanks a lot I will give it a go at moving the springs hope that works if not theres always ebay
cired45

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 20:58:20 »

Thanks a bunch Barry, been out and moved the springs, worked a treat.  On getting to the springs found that the plastic cover had broken at the bottom, probably where the fucking screw was.  Will be looking at ebay now
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 21:05:51 »

No worries.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 21:06:59 »

Suggest you get better than Altus Cired - those plastic covers are metal on better models.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: