Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Swindon Town set to trim their squad  (Read 28100 times)
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 12:15:04 »

I like your logic, I will be telling my sunday league team I am a 4 goal a season striker next year if they play me more often  Wink
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 12:26:16 »

Connell played 32 games last season, not 23. So by your logic he would have score more like 15-18 goals not 25.
Which isnt guranteed because generally, he was less dangerous when starting matches.

Ahhhh we just talking league games then Cibo? Yeah you're right he was involved in 32 games of the 46 games played. I notice you omit to say that he only started 13 and came on as sub in the other 19. He ended up with 11 league goals. Ok agreed he looked more dangerous as sub but based on minutes per game i would say he was capable of 25.

Paolo obviously doesn't agree though so that's all that matters. My logic works in my head anyway.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 12:27:41 »

So has Lukas Magera returned for pre season then?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 12:53:35 »

Swindon Town FC ‏@Official_STFC

Striker Lukas Magera to leave the club by mutual consent #STFC
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:09:10 »

The 4 transfer listed players won't travel to Italy with the rest of the squad.

Feel a bit for Connell and Smith but as has been said elsewhere, that's football - and a sign of how well Paolo and the board have strengthened the squad already this summer.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:15:42 »

The 'muscular presence' was negated on occasion by nimble midfielderis passing it around him and his evident lack of mobility (which I argue caused him to put it past Wes at Wembley; he couldn't get his body into an effective position)... in L1, this might be even more prevalent as I would expect the standard to be higher. No one could argue he doesn't win hopeful hoofed balls, but against more technical midfielders, I fear his short-comings will be highlighted further as games (and balls) pass him by.
This.  There's a lot of love for Risser on this Forum, because he's a nice guy, but as a football he's not that great.  Towards the end of the season he was dire and imo is nowhere near good enough for League 1, even as a squad player.  Why PDC thinks would prefer to keep him over Smith is beyond me, but it was clear he preferred Risser when he continued to play him when he was playing shite.

Really disappointed for Smith.  He's a young player who I thought might have a good future at Swindon.  As for Connell, not overly surprised as judging by last season he wouldn't have got a look in this season.  Still a kick in the teeth considering he was top scorer and personally I think he's been treated quite shabbily.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:17:45 »

Bit sad for Connell, liked the way he played
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:21:06 »

Connell has had his best season to date. At the age of what? 30? Not good enough for L1.

Would like to have seen J. Smith stay.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:27:25 »

This.  There's a lot of love for Risser on this Forum, because he's a nice guy, but as a football he's not that great.  Towards the end of the season he was dire and imo is nowhere near good enough for League 1, even as a squad player.  Why PDC thinks would prefer to keep him over Smith is beyond me, but it was clear he preferred Risser when he continued to play him when he was playing shite.

Really disappointed for Smith.  He's a young player who I thought might have a good future at Swindon.  As for Connell, not overly surprised as judging by last season he wouldn't have got a look in this season.  Still a kick in the teeth considering he was top scorer and personally I think he's been treated quite shabbily.
So you think you are right and PDC is wrong!!  We are all entitled to our opinions but the way some of our fans set out to crucify certain players is totally wrong.  If they are pulling a red shirt on we should get behind them - whatever!!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:33:50 »

So you think you are right and PDC is wrong!!  We are all entitled to our opinions but the way some of our fans set out to crucify certain players is totally wrong.  If they are pulling a red shirt on we should get behind them - whatever!!

Totally agree ronnie. It's only 'coz he's a nice bloke that i defend him though. Presumably Paolo thinks the same.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:37:07 »

Connell has had his best season to date. At the age of what? 30? Not good enough for L1.

Would like to have seen J. Smith stay.

Connell could do the business in L1. Not much of a step up and lets be honest there are some utter gash strikers in there. Hell, he's a much better player than some of the L1 strikers we've had who have done reasonable jobs.

Interesting to see where he goes. If it is to a L1 club - he will score past us FACT!
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 13:48:27 »

Wouldnt imagine Connell would have been too happy to start the season as 4th choice striker anyway.  Obviously that could have changed very quickly for any number of reasons.  I'd imagine he would probably wont mind moving clubs where he can be further up the pecking order.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 14:01:39 »

Based on last year Connell was always going to go, we have signed better versions of Smith and there was obviously something that went on with either the scouting or attitude/fitness with Cox.

I don't think anyone should be surprised with what has happened.  Connell at best 2nd/3rd choice striker last year except for a few games on the run.  We have 2 new strikers that would have made him 4th/5th choice. The wise move is to get a little bit back for him.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 14:02:46 »

Like a lot of people I am a Connell fan and wished that PDC would have given him more games but you trust his decisions or it all goes to rats. Got to say that Connell is nowhere near the same level of Simon Cox/Austin/Painter and that is why we need players of that quality in L1, so if he is not good enough in PDC's opinion then he moves on. The same can be said of Smith, I preferred him to Risser as a midfielder who broke up play and got in solid tackles, but did not have any other real attributes apart from that, and once again we need better in L1. Regarding the other Cox, not too sure what has happened there, I thought he was injured towards the end of the season but who really knows?  Hmmm

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 15:43:25 »

Ahhhh we just talking league games then Cibo? Yeah you're right he was involved in 32 games of the 46 games played. I notice you omit to say that he only started 13 and came on as sub in the other 19. He ended up with 11 league goals. Ok agreed he looked more dangerous as sub but based on minutes per game i would say he was capable of 25.

Paolo obviously doesn't agree though so that's all that matters. My logic works in my head anyway.

You make a good point about goals per minutes... Would be interesting to see a comparison of his too others. I just dont think that if he played double the amount of games then he would score double the amount of goals. Especially considering at least two of his goals were disputable. De Vita's overhead kick at Crawley (which I think was Connell's but it was definately debatable) and Jervis's shot at Wimbeldon, which upon watching on the season review DVD I still think was his... His stats could look so much different. 9-10 goals this season then nobody would care about him leaving. Would just like to clarify I dont think Connell was awful, did a job, but there are much better around.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: