Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Confirm Transfer of Collins, Roberts and Williams  (Read 9114 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:12:57 »

Agree to a degree as well, our ultimate long term goal at the moment is to get ourselves established in the Championship.

If manage to do that for a few years then aspirations might naturally change and the Premiership become the target.

One step at a time though
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:13:29 »

Personally, playing teams like Ipswich, Bristol City, Sheff Weds (& United), Barnsley and Leicester week by week would be enough for me.  These were the clubs we were rubbing shoulders with when I first started watching.  I'd be happy just to be back there, and watching us play in a full ground.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:21:06 »

Mid table Championship is our Premiership if you ask me.  Maybe the occaisional flirt with promotion and relegation every few years, but a competetive team mid table Championship would do me.

If we did manage to get to the Prem I would prefer us to take the Blackpool route and try to stay up without spending beyond our means.  Would be nice to have say one or two seasons in the Prem every 10 years just to experience it now and again, similar to what Reading have done.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:26:51 »

Begs the question what is the level that most fans would be happy with? To be honest we'd struggle at sustainable championship football on current numbers.

Yes.

But I guess the aim is to address this over time.

And yes.

Current crowds would not support Championship football, I'd agree.  But the Swansea example shows, I think, that crowds would not just grow, but would grow significantly if a well executed ground move/redevelopment went together with continued success on the pitch.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:33:43 »

A few years 'doing a Huddersfield' and being a regular top 3/4 League 1 team would do for me. Not just a one-off good season.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:48:26 »

A few years 'doing a Huddersfield' and being a regular top 3/4 League 1 team would do for me. Not just a one-off good season.

This for the next little while definitely.

Without wanting to piss on people's bonfires, we've only just got out of league 2 and haven't been in the Championship at all for 13 years.

As much as our future on and off the pitch is as bright as it's been for a long while, talk of the top half of the Championship is a couple of years away yet. Can't wait though.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:48:29 »

Just being back in the second tier will also do for me. Our attendances would be much higher than they ever were in the same league back in the 90's. Coupled with a redeveloped stadium, we could average 12k-14k with an established Championship team.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 13:55:31 »

I think talk of Premier League football is a long long way off for this club. We should be aiming to consolidate in this division this season and not have too much expectation to win back to back promotions (regardless of what Paolo has said)

I would like to see us in the next 2-5 years win promotion and consolidate in the Championship like Barnsley have done. Once we're a decent Championship side hopefully the ground will have been improved and then maybe we can dream of taking the next step.

Doing what Blackpool have done is more the exception than it is the rule.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 14:04:57 »

I don't give a fuck what league we play in. I go to football with my mates. We get pissed, we sing stupid songs and we take the piss out of people and then we go and get more pissed. The moment it stops being fun is the moment I stop going, our league position just isn't important to me.
Acetripper

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 15:09:37 »

From a Terrier, Good luck Gary Roberts at Swindon Town.

Gary has been a great servant to us and while he fell out of favour to some degree last season I feel he still has plenty to offer. On his days he's as good as anything in League one and can provide moments of real magic. That said, I still think he needed to move on and face a new challenge. He's a great lad and if allow him time to settle in I'm sure he'll be a great asset.  Cheesy
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 15:13:49 »

From a Terrier, Good luck Gary Roberts at Swindon Town.

Gary has been a great servant to us and while he fell out of favour to some degree last season I feel he still has plenty to offer. On his days he's as good as anything in League one and can provide moments of real magic. That said, I still think he needed to move on and face a new challenge. He's a great lad and if allow him time to settle in I'm sure he'll be a great asset.  Cheesy

Spot On Spot On

otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 16:06:17 »

I don't give a fuck what league we play in. I go to football with my mates. We get pissed, we sing stupid songs and we take the piss out of people and then we go and get more pissed. The moment it stops being fun is the moment I stop going, our league position just isn't important to me.

Agreed. Now, wheres that jaeger

Jump to: