Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BT to show Premier League Football  (Read 4953 times)
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 16:59:35 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18430036

Really didn't see that coming,

BT said it would launch a new football-focused channel to carry the games.

"It will offer new interactive features when supplied over BT's fibre network and we will look to distribute it on other platforms," the telecoms firm said.

BT said full details and pricing would be published in due course

"We welcome BT as a new Premier League broadcast partner," said Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.

"They are a substantial British company that is at the leading edge of technology and infrastructure development."

He said BT would "deliver new ways in which fans will be able to follow the competition".

He added: "The continuing support of BSkyB for Premier League football is significant beyond the revenues delivered; the longevity and quality of their commitment has done much for the English game as a whole."

Under the new agreement, BT secured two of the seven packages on offer, showing 28 Saturday lunchtime games, including the opening game of the season, and 10 matches taking place on bank holidays or midweek evenings.

That's me getting rid of ESPN then, Can't afford three sporting channels. Shame because I like ESPN, get the Classic channel with it which I enjoy, but that's not worth the money.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 17:02:59 »

I have BT Vision, doubt that they'll include it as part of my package.

That said, I do get ESPN as part of my sports package at the moment, so maybe I will.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 17:06:33 »

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but would this effect pub/bars screening games?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 17:09:53 »

I doubt it. BT Sport will just become another channel just like ESPN that will be carried by Sky/Virgin etc.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 17:11:35 »

I doubt it. BT Sport will just become another channel just like ESPN that will be carried by Sky/Virgin etc.

Cheers - I didn't think so.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 18:02:09 »

Shame because I like ESPN, get the Classic channel with it which I enjoy, but that's not worth the money.

The classic channel is free with Sky sports I think.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 18:36:01 »

Yup. Ali v Fraser right now, The Thrilla in Manila.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 18:39:37 »

Just remembered that I had the XL package with Virgin so get ESPN free anyway, hopefully the BT Channel will be add no extra fee with that package.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 19:37:59 »

That is a crazy amount of money being paid for the rights. Watching football live is going to get a lot more expensive.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 19:42:31 »

Will ESPN give up in the UK I wonder.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 19:55:23 »

Will ESPN give up in the UK I wonder.

They should concentrate on the Euro Leagues, some very good football being played in over there.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 23:49:08 »

Can't see ESPN leaving the UK market, they're pretty sensible when it comes to paying for rights (hence why they've given the Premier League a miss) so their overheads will be comparatively low. They've got quite a good line up of sports plus their America and Classics channels are popular.

The difference for BT and Sky is that they will use them to drive sales of bundles including all their services, hence they can justify the outlay.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 06:19:24 »

I can see ESPN trying to become a package channel rather than a standalone premium sports channel. There are a lot of American sports that's true, but demand is spread between them all and I can't see NFL, NHL, rounders or netball driving enough sales. We'll see.

Interestingly BT has won 18 "first pick" games to Sky's 20. This in theory makes Sky's package weaker than it is now.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 10:27:59 »

so will ESPN no longer be showing Prem Football?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 10:40:30 »

They will for 2012/13, but from 2013 they will no longer have the rights.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: