Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Town Game  (Read 253332 times)
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 10:49:03 »

My first game that i remember going to was against Rochdale at home in october 85. It was a 4-0 win. I had been to other games before that but i don't really remember them that well. I remember this one as my brother took me to get me out of the house so my mum & dad could go out for their anniversary. By about February 86 i was going to every home game.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 11:26:59 »

I didn't go to my first game until I was 12, which was Boston at home, in the last L2 promotion year.

I vaugley remember it being a draw. Maybe. Or we might have won. But i'm fairly certain we didn't lose.
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 11:33:46 »

I am led to believe that my first game was the FA Cup tie against Carlisle in 1984, though I have no recollection of it whatsoever... I also went to the Blackburn game in the next round, and up until recently I thought I had a clear memory of Blackburn's winning goal... that was until I saw the highlights from a game in the early 90's against Blackburn and I realised that was the game I had been remembering!!

First real memories I have are being embarrassed at losing to Dagenham the following season, and beating Sheffield Wednesday - we used to sit up in the old wooden seats on the Shrivenham Road -remember being scared shitless walking up the rickety steps to get in, and an old couple in front of me offering me some of their soup from a flask at half time. I also vaguely remember a friendly against Man Utd, standing on the centre circle after we won promotion against Chester, and the Jimmy Allan testimonial.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19840604

I'm not around this week but I've got a lot of the games mentioned on video... will post them up when I can.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:03:19 »

I remember my sons first game it was in April 1999, a 2-0 home win over Grimsby.

He had just had his 3rd birthday, the best thing is that he is now 16 & is still coming to games with us Smiley
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:05:36 »

My parents weren't interested in football and I was ten when the local garage owner from my village near Newbury took me in 1966 (pre world cup) to a Division Three home game v Southend Utd.

Although I had been to the odd game before with my grandfather at Tottenham I never identified myself with them and I remember the thrill of my first glimpse of the County Ground turf after climbing the steps of the rickety, corrugated Southside Stand.

The Don scored two early goals in a 4-0 home win and my footballing hero and football club have never changed since.

England won the World Cup that summer and Town humbled Hurst, Moore and Peters in the FA Cup the very next season and won the League Cup not so long after.

All very easy for a gloryhunter like me till that fat slob Dave MacK*** (whom I had admired at Tottenham) put his nose in here getting rid of Harland and Rogers...but that, like countless others, is another story
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:10:08 »

1979:
Swindon 0 Reading 0

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19800102

What a season......pity it died towards the end. After being knocked out of both cups the Town slumped and the slide continued into the next couple of seasons - ending in relegation to Division 4 for (I think) the first time ever. Things weren't to pick up again until the arrival of Lou.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:14:43 »

This beauty.  Hooked every since.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19920115

I seem to remember the fireworks were better than the game...although maybe we went top for a night?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:15:09 »

Swindon 3 Bury 1 - October 1997
Sat in the Town End (or Rover Family Stand as it was then Cheesy) Soaking wet day.

My life has been ruined irreparably since, thanks dad.
Swindon 'til I die

I come from a land down-under
lazyboy

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:29:57 »

Swindon vs Southend October 1974

2 nil Swindon Eastoe 2 - legend
Peacocks-Lucky-Coat

Dishonest Abe

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:35:23 »

Swindon 1 Cheltenham 3.   2007, cold wet tuesday night, LDV Vans trophy.

Fuck knows why I came back

Glad to have done so now though.    Cheesy

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:37:15 »

We only gave the TE over to away fans the year the Intel stand was being built which was in 94-95.

I'm pretty sure I've sat in the intel-don rogers when away fans were in the town end.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:48:16 »

Pompey and Sunderland (the year they won the league) at least spring to mind.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 12:51:49 »

Pompey and Sunderland (the year they won the league) at least spring to mind.

1998–99?
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 13:26:18 »

I'm pretty sure I've sat in the intel-don rogers when away fans were in the town end.

At the start of 90-91 they gave the town end to the away supporters, i can't remember for how long but one which sticks in my mind is September 1990 when Middlesborough had the Town End. That was after they had made it seated in the summer, not sure what the thinking on that was at the time....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 13:31:29 »

I am led to believe that my first game was the FA Cup tie against Carlisle in 1984, though I have no recollection of it whatsoever... I also went to the Blackburn game in the next round, and up until recently I thought I had a clear memory of Blackburn's winning goal... that was until I saw the highlights from a game in the early 90's against Blackburn and I realised that was the game I had been remembering!!

First real memories I have are being embarrassed at losing to Dagenham the following season, and beating Sheffield Wednesday - we used to sit up in the old wooden seats on the Shrivenham Road -remember being scared shitless walking up the rickety steps to get in, and an old couple in front of me offering me some of their soup from a flask at half time. I also vaguely remember a friendly against Man Utd, standing on the centre circle after we won promotion against Chester, and the Jimmy Allan testimonial.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19840604

I'm not around this week but I've got a lot of the games mentioned on video... will post them up when I can.

Your website is outstanding.  A fantastic resource for all Town fans.  Whoever you are, thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: