Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Town Game  (Read 253354 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:23:31 »

The Newcastle game was on my 10th birthday.

Two goals in quick succession are always great.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:29:40 »

Surely you can remember Andy Mutch and the somersault?

Pic on my office wall....

Well I was about 4 at the time and wouldn't have been able to see it anyway!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:32:57 »

There's got to be a Youtube clip of the Grandstand opening that included the Mutch Flip and Point.

Lovely stuff.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:39:51 »

Ten four  Smiley

blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:46:03 »

16 Sept 1986

Swindon 2 Blackpool 6

Stood on the Town End, what a terrible but realistic way to realise life as a Town fan !

Wasnt that the game where Alan Mayes ran the show for Blackpool ? I remember standing in the Shrivenham Road stand with my dad, he was applauding Mayes, when just about everyone else was ready to kick off. First time I remember being a little bit scared at a match  Embarrassed
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:59:37 »

Wasnt that the game where Alan Mayes ran the show for Blackpool ? I remember standing in the Shrivenham Road stand with my dad, he was applauding Mayes, when just about everyone else was ready to kick off. First time I remember being a little bit scared at a match  Embarrassed

They had a stocky winger called Mark Taylor, who tore us a new one that night, I thought he'd go on to be a decent player, but after a couple of successful seasons with the Tangerines he got injured, missed a season and a half and was never the same again. The one who did go on was Paul Stewart, he got one on the night....went on to Spurs and played for England.

3 players never played for Macari again after that night.....Kenny Allen, David Cole, stalwarts of the Div 4 champions, and Lingy who'd arrived in the summer.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #291 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 15:40:47 »

Early '83. Port Vale at home. Won 1-0. They wore yellow. Never seen so many people in one place. 5 years old, just turning 6. I chose my team for life on that day. Every time I go in the NS, my nostrils are still filled with smell of cigars despite it being non-smoking for  20 odd years.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 15:44:18 »

There used to be an old boy in the arkells, the cigar he smoked would last the whole game. damn thing must have been a foot long before he sparked it.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 18:51:41 »

Home win 1-0 V Orient 1968.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
swindonremo

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Sunday, April 13, 2014, 09:50:11 »

Mine was in the 2004/05 season vs Bradford at home. Can't really remember anything about that game, I think I went to a few with my uncle that season Cheesy, but my earliest memories of watching Swindon was in the 2005/06 season when we got relegated.

COYR
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Sunday, April 13, 2014, 16:56:14 »

They had a stocky winger called Mark Taylor, who tore us a new one that night, I thought he'd go on to be a decent player, but after a couple of successful seasons with the Tangerines he got injured, missed a season and a half and was never the same again. The one who did go on was Paul Stewart, he got one on the night....went on to Spurs and played for England.

3 players never played for Macari again after that night.....Kenny Allen, David Cole, stalwarts of the Div 4 champions, and Lingy who'd arrived in the summer.
I'd forgotten about Ling's first spell at the club and didn't realise he'd played in that game. What I remember about the game was that when the 3rd or 4th Blackpool goal went in a few fans started booing and singing "what a load of rubbish" and they were quickly shouted down - the Town End then started up with "Lou Macari's red and white army" and it went on for practically the rest of the match. The Town players noticeably raised their game and made a fight of it.....and it seemed to kick the season. After a slow start to the season we never looked back from then on.....or that's how I remember it anyway. Then again maybe the tears have blurred the memories a little bit....... I remember Mayes scoring at the Town End though.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 10:26:33 »

Swindon 0 Ipswich 1    27th March 1948.  My brother took me, and knew our goalkeeper Norman Uprichard personally.  Can't remember much else. 

ust be the oldest
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 11:36:00 »

Swindon 0 Ipswich 1    27th March 1948.  My brother took me, and knew our goalkeeper Norman Uprichard personally.  Can't remember much else. 

Thanks normy. Maurice Owen's first full season.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 11:46:36 »

Thanks Costanza.  I think I remember him, and later, plus Bob Edwards, Harry Lunn, Garth Hudson, Peart, Onslow, George Hunt, Jimmy Bain, and a few others.  Smiley

ust be the oldest
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #299 on: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 11:56:25 »

Are you Reg's son?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: