Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Town Game  (Read 253288 times)
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 22:04:02 »

Mine was the first game of the 94/95 season (the year after we got relegated from the Prem). Port Vale at home, a 2-0 win with goals from Fjortoft & Keith Scott iirc!! Sat in the Arkells & have only ever been in there about 4 or 5 times since!!

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 12:39:04 »

My first away Game was West ham in the Cup 1974 i think lots of Swindon support there
The away end was full of West ham real kicking that day and the reply the following Tuesday
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 18:17:39 »

Looking at the first post (thanks Constanza), there aren't many of us whose first game was away.  Not too surprising, I guess.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 21:09:53 »

Home to Blackburn in 1988 I think it was. Can't remember the result (which even at that young age probably means that we lost) but do seem to recall Ossie Ardiles and Steve Archibald turning out for the visitors.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 21:19:06 »

Home to Blackburn in 1988 I think it was. Can't remember the result (which even at that young age probably means that we lost) but do seem to recall Ossie Ardiles and Steve Archibald turning out for the visitors.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19880138
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 21:24:11 »

Ta.

Interesting to note just the 23 teams in Division 2 that year.
Drakes Way

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Thursday, March 21, 2013, 02:37:57 »

First game my Dad took me to was Swindon Reserves 1 Southport 2 in 1968 (I think). Can't remember much about that day except for:

1. jumping onto the pitch perimeter to retrieve a ball that went out of play (because you could in those days), and
2. changing the score in the Football Pink to 3-2 and magically expecting us to move up the table (in my defence I was 7 at the time).

Moved to Australia shortly after beating Arsenal at Wembley and it took me until 1986 to get back to the County Ground, just in time to see Swindon 2 Blackpool 6. Did, at that point, think I was a bad luck charm but happy to say that I have seen Swindon win many times since then.

Hoping to get back for a holiday next season but will need to wait for the new season's fixtures to come out so that I plan it around when we are at home (preferably a Saturday/Tuesday arrangement).
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Thursday, March 21, 2013, 10:01:38 »

Swindon 1 Sheff Wed 0 1972 Frank Burrows scored. All I can really remember is wondering why the mustachioed winger had to take all the corners from both sides. Went with my neighbour and his son, and neighbours brother and his 2 sons. Think they had about 4 season tickets and smuggled at least 2 of us in somehow in the seats in the old shrivvy road. You had to go up a real rickety old stair case to get up there.

Next game was a night game v Burnley - stood on the Stratton bank seem to remember no segregation between home and away fans but what really stuck with me as a 8 year old kid was the vivid green of the pitch and the bright white floodlights as you first entered the terrace. That image still gives tingle of anticipation for night games even now.

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Monday, July 29, 2013, 21:34:09 »

Portsmouth at home 27/02/1993 - 1-0 (Bodin)  Grin

Roaming the land while you sleep..
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 07:48:55 »

My first away game I am reliably informed was Portsmouth, I must have been about 4 so about 1992....I have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever or my first home game for that matter.

First away game I remember would have been a couple of trips to Elm Park followed by Old Trafford in the Coca-Cola Cup 1996.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, September 29, 2013, 14:18:30 »

I have only a very vague recollection of the game, but I think my first time was when my dad took me to a testimonial match at the CG when Stanley Matthews was playing in the other team, possibly an All-Star selection. It would have been in the mid to late fifties. I stood on the boards, Stratton Bank, just to the right behind the goal. I watched the Maurice Owen generation and later teams from that spot, moving later to watch Bert Head's Babes from around the half-way line, standing at the front of what became the North Stand (called "The Enclosure" I think) . Then to the back of the Town End in the late sixties.  Happy Days...

First away game was at Crystal Palace, traveling there with my dad and a few of his friends in a Vauxhall Cresta estate, owned by Bill O'Connel. He ran a shop in Swindon Road, Stratton, which later became Sleeman's. I think we lost 4-1.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 2, 2013, 05:00:34 by Munichred » Logged
Bert Heads head

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Saturday, October 12, 2013, 23:02:31 »

I can't remember my first Town game, apart from by using the method of looking at the results and thinking I must have been at that one. So, 1960-61 is the best bet, the days of Arnold Darcy dancing down the wing, Bronco Layne preparing to spend time with his lawyer, and of course Ernie Hunt's barrell chest, Woodruffs throw ins, and Mike Summerbee's nose.

At a guess then, the first game was Lincoln City at home on 30th September 1960. We won 4-0.
Later I enjoyed watching players like the vertically challenged goalie Tony Hicks taking time off from his love affair with pints of Guinness Pint to crouch between the sticks, Keith East who we saw score 9 goals in a week, Frank "ten past" Haffey and our best ever player, Ron Dodgers. EVERY time Don got the ball, a collective aaaaaaahhhhhhh reverberated around the ground

But the first game I can really remember going to was at Leyton Orient on 28 March 1964, proudly wearing my new Donkey Jacket. The Kinks "All Day and all of the Night" blaring out of the coffee bars juke-boxes on Leyton High Street. Can't remember the fucking game, though the statistics say we lost 2-1
STFCDude3

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 12:45:10 »

16 Sept 1986

Swindon 2 Blackpool 6

Stood on the Town End, what a terrible but realistic way to realise life as a Town fan !
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 13:11:31 »

Swindon 2-2 Newcastle in the Premier League 1993, can't remember the date. I don't actually remember anything about the game, I vaguely remember my dad picking up some mates and also seem to remember finding the floodlights fascinating!

Pretty sure my first away game was Wrexham in 1996. We lost, and that was the first time I'd seen us lose and I bawled my eyes out.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 13:27:14 »

Swindon 2-2 Newcastle in the Premier League 1993, can't remember the date. I don't actually remember anything about the game, I vaguely remember my dad picking up some mates and also seem to remember finding the floodlights fascinating!

Pretty sure my first away game was Wrexham in 1996. We lost, and that was the first time I'd seen us lose and I bawled my eyes out.

Surely you can remember Andy Mutch and the somersault?

Pic on my office wall....

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: