Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Languages  (Read 5629 times)
china red

« Reply #30 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 04:49:24 »

French and German at school but pretty useless at both of them.  Chinese isn't too difficult to speak and understand but the writing/reading side is hard.  Too many regional dialects here though (Cantonese is just one of hundreds) and very few people speak pure mandarin.

Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 06:18:02 »

i can get by in french and estonian but both are far from fluent. i bought a french course on CD by Michel Thomas and can't rate it highly enough - it's recorded with two other n00bs and you basically learn from their mistakes (the woman is a fucking tard so that makes me feel better also)

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 06:22:50 »

Can get by in french and Italian. Taught myself Italian to an okay standard, when I had a very boring job a few years ago, just to keep the brain ticking over.  To refresh I then went to the library and borrowed the Italian Michel Thomas cd's (and put them on my laptop).  As Bennett says it is a cracking way to learn the language.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 06:27:51 »

I'm pretty decent at Spanish, but that's it.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 07:49:09 »

I did French at school and hated it. Complete waste of time.

Pourquoi?

I always thought I'd like to speak Welsh.

Helo, yr wyf o Loegr. Iawn 'n glws i gyfarfod â chi  Smiley
« Last Edit: Friday, June 1, 2012, 07:51:25 by 4D » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 08:47:04 »

Pourquoi?

I'm learning Norwegian which is about as redundant as Welsh given the number of speakers and how many of them are extremely fluent in English.

I think Welsh will be my next language.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 09:14:51 »

English (obviously), German (from doing it at GCSE I can grasp most of it, providing they don't talk to quickly!) and sarcasm.
Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 09:19:07 »

Thai.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #38 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 09:26:03 »

I can do a little Russian and a little Polish. Rosetta Stone is the best way to learn. I torrented my copy.

Eastern European languages are so pretty.
Barry Scott

« Reply #39 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 09:27:32 »

I'm ok at German and speak a small amount of French, Spanish and Italian. I wanted to learn all 4 to a decent level, but I was unprepared for the time required so decided to leave it for now.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 09:50:41 »

Probably because we ought to be able to master our own language first. Grin

That serves me right for not checking the spelling  Doh haha
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 10:02:56 »

Pourquoi?

Helo, Yr wyf o Cymru braf cwrdd â chi hefyd
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 15:53:09 »

I lived in Germany for little while as a kid and the schools made no effort to teach young minds a new language, I've always considered that a shame.

I too lived in Germany as a kid but had the opposite experience. Although I went to an English Forces school we had regular German lessons. Apparently some of the reason behind this was the kids picked it up quicker than the parents and so when out and about the kids could then translate things. I enjoy going back to Germany and using the language I do, however, find that if I try to speak French or Spanish I fill in the words I don't know with German words which completely baffles people!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 15:56:10 »

I too lived in Germany as a kid but had the opposite experience. Although I went to an English Forces school we had regular German lessons. Apparently some of the reason behind this was the kids picked it up quicker than the parents and so when out and about the kids could then translate things. I enjoy going back to Germany and using the language I do, however, find that if I try to speak French or Spanish I fill in the words I don't know with German words which completely baffles people!

I went to a Forces school, mine clearly wasn't as forward thinking.
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, June 1, 2012, 15:59:35 »

Italian and French, degree level and then lived in Italy for 2 and a half years. Translator by trade so get to use one or both every day, although actually having a conversation is becoming more difficult these days!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: