Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Languages  (Read 5751 times)
Coca Fola

« on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 21:45:38 »

How many do you speak and why?

I speak:

English
Spanish (did it at school)
French (same)
Bosnian
Croatian
Serbian
Slovenian (I can understand 95% of it, very similar to the above)
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 21:50:28 »

English as default setting
French I know enough to get by but not fluent
Greek I know a few phrases
learning German (listen to a lot of german music and want to know what i'm singing along to)
and British Sign Language (have deaf family member and would be nice to speak to her, and it'll be useful in my job)
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 21:51:59 by walcot red » Logged
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 21:50:51 »

Before you get a comedic or sarcastic reply, can I be the first to say that's very, very impressive.  Is there a family thing going on, or are you just very interested in and talented at languages?

If we are talking fluent, just English.  If we are talking basic travel, ordering a table, asking directions etc, you can add German to that.  Shameful really.  I blame our schooling system...
Coca Fola

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 21:57:09 »

Ta, it's a family thing, I love languages, whenever I go somewhere I always make the effort to learn some phrases in that language. Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian are all very similar but have enough differences to be classed as separate languages. It's like the gulf between English and American English but a bit larger. I'm planning to learn Russian in a couple of years too.

It's a shame that this country is quite far behind other European countries with regards to learning languages in school. Most countries make children learn 2 languages from a very young age until they are 18. In this country you don't learn a foreign language until secondary school and even then it's only 1 most of the time. My cousin in Bosnia started learning English in school when he was 7 and he's pretty much fluent now.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 21:57:44 »

Its a shame, because we expect everyone to know english, so most people can't be bothered. I always try and learn a few phrases in the native language. Because we expect people to speak english in the uk, so why cant us brits speak spainish in spain?
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 21:59:21 »

forgot to add the more languages you can speak the more women you can pull  Cool
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:01:36 »

-English
-French
-German
-Russian
-Bullshit
-The language of lurve

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:02:33 »

Ta, it's a family thing, I love languages, whenever I go somewhere I always make the effort to learn some phrases in that language. Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian are all very similar but have enough differences to be classed as separate languages. It's like the gulf between English and American English but a bit larger. I'm planning to learn Russian in a couple of years too.

It's a shame that this country is quite far behind other European countries with regards to learning languages in school. Most countries make children learn 2 languages from a very young age until they are 18. In this country you don't learn a foreign language until secondary school and even then it's only 1 most of the time. My cousin in Bosnia started learning English in school when he was 7 and he's pretty much fluent now.

I completely agree - linguistically, we (Brits) are very ignorant and arrogant.  I'm pleased that it is looking likely that my kids will be schooled bilingually.  Its a shame that its English and Welsh, but I'm hoping it has the desired effect on them.  I genuinely hate being a linguistic imbecile.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:04:04 »

I completely agree - linguistically, we (Brits) are very ignorant and arrogant.  I'm pleased that it is looking likely that my kids will be schooled bilingually.  Its a shame that its English and Welsh, but I'm hoping it has the desired effect on them.  I genuinely hate being a linguistic imbecile.

Its never to late to learn, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:05:32 »

Having been baiting 419 scammers for a few years, I've become semi-fluent in the Nigerian languages of Pidgin English and Igbo.
Coca Fola

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:07:09 »

http://file011.bebo.com/13/large/2007/09/21/22/4203889533a5613998047l.jpg
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:07:21 »

I speak English reasonably well. Can muddle through most conversations in French too - want to learn it properly though. Was gutted I had to choose between French and Geography for A Level as I loved (and would have aced) both. Geography won that particular battle. Used to know a bit of German and Italian but most of that has slipped away now - just the odd phrase left.

I agree we're poor at languages. I suppose the difficulty is which language do you teach british kids from a young age? French? Spanish? You could argue that Cantonese/Mandarin would be more beneficial in 10-20 years time. Personally, I'd support a campaign to teach kids French from the age of about 4, and have them pick up another language from Year 7 and carry it on to GCSE.
Coca Fola

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:09:25 »

I'd support a campaign to teach kids French from the age of about 4, and have them pick up another language from Year 7 and carry it on to GCSE.
I agree.
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:10:31 »

I agree we're poor at languages. I suppose the difficulty is which language do you teach british kids from a young age? French? Spanish? You could argue that Cantonese/Mandarin would be more beneficial in 10-20 years time. Personally, I'd support a campaign to teach kids French from the age of about 4, and have them pick up another language from Year 7 and carry it on to GCSE.]

Agree that Cantonese/Mandarin might well be the most beneficial in the future.  However, in terms of the early age, I'd have all kids in this country learning Spanish.
Coca Fola

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 22:11:36 »

Any of the following in my opinion,

French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian.

Tell kids to pick 2 out of that 5.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: