Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BT Fibre Broadband  (Read 3963 times)
stfcinbmth

« on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 18:46:24 »

If anyone else is curious as to wether they can get better speed via fibre the checker is here

I'm due for 59/20 when they can get their arses into gear

Also remember you don't have to get it from BT. BT's contracts are 18 months where an independant ISP will be 12 months

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 18:50:24 by stfcinbmth » Logged
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:11:30 »

My experiances with BT Broadband in the past has been fucking woeful. Happily on Virgin who are due to double my speeds for free anytime soon too.

Thats just my experiance though, i'm sure there are many who have good service from BT. I won't go back purely on principle and being £145 out of pocket!
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:34:16 »

My experiances with BT Broadband in the past has been fucking woeful. Happily on Virgin who are due to double my speeds for free anytime soon too.

Thats just my experiance though, i'm sure there are many who have good service from BT. I won't go back purely on principle and being £145 out of pocket!

Absolutely, BT are a hateful company. Their infinity service is also nowhere near as good as they imply (after 2 months when they move you on to over contented lines anyway).
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:54:01 »

The cancellation fees they charge are ridiculous also... i want to cancel before my contract ends so i can get a Virgin Package in my new place, but it'll cost me £352.71 apparently. I understand the nature of contracts, but they are a) too long, and b) have too many hidden penalties.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
stfcinbmth

« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 16:12:50 »

Absolutely, BT are a hateful company. Their infinity service is also nowhere near as good as they imply (after 2 months when they move you on to over contented lines anyway).

Your not having problems with yours are you Barry?
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 17:09:12 »

I'm sure I read somewhere BT were fined by Ofcom and were forced to amend there tv ads where they implied they offered the Uk's fastest broadband.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 17:40:46 »

I'm sure I read somewhere BT were fined by Ofcom and were forced to amend there tv ads where they implied they offered the Uk's fastest broadband.

Think all the major players get fined for false or misleading claims somewhere along the line
Barry Scott

« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 19:02:04 »

Your not having problems with yours are you Barry?

You know I'm not with BT mr bmth! My line rental is, which is enough to make me dream of waking up with no bills being paid to BT but having aids instead.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 19:47:07 »

You know I'm not with BT mr bmth! My line rental is, which is enough to make me dream of waking up with no bills being paid to BT but having aids instead.

You are indirectly which made me wonder. As long as you are fine that's good. Still waiting for my order to go through, back log apparently
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 19:53:25 »

BT are cunts they charged me £147 just to flip a fucking switch in their exchange, I couldn't get Virgin when I lived in the Holbeins which was a kick in the teeth, I'm with Virgin for internet now and never had a problem with it.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:12:39 »

BT are cunts they charged me £147 just to flip a fucking switch in their exchange, I couldn't get Virgin when I lived in the Holbeins which was a kick in the teeth, I'm with Virgin for internet now and never had a problem with it.

I love my ISP been with him four or five years now, he's just a small independant. He's not cheap, but I can live with that for the better experience and better speeds even though I am on the BT backbone. I get no limits, but he knows I won't take the piss as I realise bandwidth is expensive.

One thing he did say to me recently was that he could also offer Virgin cable, now I didn't question him too closely on this at the time, but I will do when I get the chance. Might be something to with everything has to be available to all, might be an offcom ruling, not sure tbh

Anyway having Virgin cable would be of interest because then I wouldn't have to legally obliged to have a landline and could just do away with BT and make calls via VOIP, one less bill to pay. Will ask about that when I can pin him down
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 21:03:04 »

One thing he did say to me recently was that he could also offer Virgin cable, now I didn't question him too closely on this at the time, but I will do when I get the chance. Might be something to with everything has to be available to all, might be an offcom ruling, not sure tbh

Anyway having Virgin cable would be of interest because then I wouldn't have to legally obliged to have a landline and could just do away with BT and make calls via VOIP, one less bill to pay. Will ask about that when I can pin him down

Be surprised if he can offer anything other than reselling Virgin cable as they've always been strongly opposed to opening their network up to others. Doubt Ofcom would have the power to force them to either. The difference between BT and Virgin is that the BT network was largely paid for by the public and they make an easy profit from it, whilst Virgin will be repaying the cost of their network for many years to come.

Doubt you'll save much by not having a phone line from Virgin as well. For residential accounts they bump the price up if you don't take a phone line so it would only save you about 50p a month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: