Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wasp nest  (Read 7185 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:18:04 »

It would appear I have one in my loft. Saw loads of the buggers buzzing around the eaves this morning.

I've called pest control and waiting for them to arrange to come out, but in the meantime is it safe to go in the loft and see how big this thing might be?
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:20:01 »

I wouldn't

They are only likely to attack in self defense but you might piss them off accidentally. 

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:22:13 »

I had one last year in the loft too. Just left them to it as they vacate it come winter and don't return.
DMR

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:23:57 »

I wouldn't

They are only likely to attack in self defense but you might piss them off accidentally. 

Fear of death aside, if it was me, I would have to poke me head in the loft just out of curiousity and thus I strongly recommend this course of action.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:24:13 »

I had one last year in the loft too. Just left them to it as they vacate it come winter and don't return.

I know that, but the entrance is right above little one's bedroom window so would rather it was dealt with.
farmer61

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:27:02 »

I know that, but the entrance is right above little one's bedroom window so would rather it was dealt with.

Don't fuck with wasps, leave it to the experts.
DMR

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:28:27 »

Surely if you take the little one round the grandparents, and dismantle said nest with some sort of object, they will all fuck off eventually, does it work that way?
Flashheart

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:30:32 »

I think the wasps may object to having their nest dismantled.

But I've changed my mind and now agree with DMR, it would be interesting to hear of the outcome. Get poking Samdy.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:30:45 »

Here's the one we had and discovered during the renovation...

* waspnest.jpg (42.25 KB, 480x640 - viewed 122 times.)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:34:23 »

don't blame you. you'll get stung even if you just mooch around in the loft though i expect. Well i did and it was how i found out they were there in the first place
corner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:59:50 »

There seems to be a buzz about this thread, there may well be a sting in the tail
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 12:00:24 »

I'll have to leave it until pest control have been until I go an investigate how big it is. Don't fancy my chances as my old man is allergic to them and I don't know if I am too.

Google suggests now is the time of year that they start building them, so I would imagine it's not that big at the moment.

Did you leave the old nest in place arriba?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 12:10:19 »

I'll have to leave it until pest control have been until I go an investigate how big it is. Don't fancy my chances as my old man is allergic to them and I don't know if I am too.

Google suggests now is the time of year that they start building them, so I would imagine it's not that big at the moment.

Did you leave the old nest in place arriba?

Yeah, it was too much hassle to try to get to it and its a paper like substance anyway.
I had an allergic reaction to a wasp sting about 10 years ago on golf course which was pretty scary(whole body sweled and blistered up.ambulance called and pumped full of addrenaline in hospital) getting stung last year and having no reaction was a bonus.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 12:13:32 »

It would appear I have one in my loft. Saw loads of the buggers buzzing around the eaves this morning.

I've called pest control and waiting for them to arrange to come out, but in the meantime is it safe to go in the loft and see how big this thing might be?

Are they charging you for this service ?

I believe for Rats it is foc but you get charged for wasps.

Anyway don't go in the loft, not just yet.
You can get rid of them in true DIY style. Long Pole with petrol soaked rag at end (or something else).
Always works for me.

Wasp Grubs are excellent Chub bait for fishing Wink
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 12:15:35 »

They charge £50 which covers up to three visits (if required).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: