Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread  (Read 60922 times)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 21:25:02 »

Get in - Hampshire are my team. Not really sure why other than I went with a mate to watch them play back when I was in school. His bird and her dad were members.

Was the first time I met Mike Spearman. Then chairman - he was there too for some reason. Came over and introduced himself as I had been brave enough to wear a town shirt!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 00:29:51 »

Hampshire were deserving winners in the final and congrats to them, I thought David Miller would take Yorkshire home but sadly too much to do and lost wickets at valuble times. 10 years of t20 cricket as well!!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 22:13:51 »

ECB press conference tomorrow. Rumours that Strauss might be retiring, but nobody seems to know for sure, just that it's big.

Would be a huge shame to see Strauss go but he is being carried a bit as a player now.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 08:49:12 »

ECB press conference tomorrow. Rumours that Strauss might be retiring, but nobody seems to know for sure, just that it's big.

Would be a huge shame to see Strauss go but he is being carried a bit as a player now.

Looks likely to be confirmed today. It's the curse of those South Africans touring here, in a previous post them coming here and beating us has seen Hussain & Vaughan resign from the job....they're next here in 2016!

Cook has to be favourite to get the job, and it looks as though KP will have a route back into the side. Will Strauss retire as he hasn't been contributing big runs against the top teams for a while?!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:09:04 »

Looks likely to be confirmed today. It's the curse of those South Africans touring here, in a previous post them coming here and beating us has seen Hussain & Vaughan resign from the job....they're next here in 2016!

Cook has to be favourite to get the job, and it looks as though KP will have a route back into the side. Will Strauss retire as he hasn't been contributing big runs against the top teams for a while?!

What if the England players with KP issues conclude the KP saga has driven Strauss through the door and therefore the anomosity towards KP increases making it difficult for him to return.

I think Strauss will retire as well as resign.  KP will not tour India.  England will go to India with Cook and Trott opening.  Then along with Bell will have 3 batting rookies.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:14:21 »

Not sure Strauss can really stay on as a player because he has such status in the dressing room that it might well stymie Cook a bit (and Cook would definitely be the next cab).

Wonder if England might consider a Compton/Carberry call up so that we're not looking at 3 very young players in the middle order. Keep Trott and 3 and use either of them to open or Trott up to open and play Patel at 7 (Not a major fan but in India perhaps).

Those thoughts are for the selectors though, Strauss should be praised for his achievements as a player and particularly as a captain: those who complain about the South Africa series would do well to remember the mess we were in when Andy and Andy took over in the West Indies.

Would also not be surprised to see Flower gone within 12 months.
DMR

« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:15:08 »

Tim to fuck Strauss off, we need KP in India
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:17:56 »

Tim to fuck Strauss off, we need KP in India

Don't think it's that simple at all. Think if KP was to come back we'd be looking at a lot more than Strauss being unhappy...Flower, Anderson and Swann don't seem like his best pals either.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:23:18 »

KP has to go/stay gone. In any sport, at any time, no player is bigger than the team.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
DMR

« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:25:36 »

Don't think it's that simple at all. Think if KP was to come back we'd be looking at a lot more than Strauss being unhappy...Flower, Anderson and Swann don't seem like his best pals either.

I think it's very simple. KP is our best player. They don't have to be mates. Are you mates with everyone you work with? You can't go to India with 3 guys in the top 6 who have never played Test cricket (or barely any).
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:38:39 »

I think it's very simple. KP is our best player. They don't have to be mates. Are you mates with everyone you work with? You can't go to India with 3 guys in the top 6 who have never played Test cricket (or barely any).

No, but occasionally someone at work gets so disruptive that a line is crossed and they have to removed from the environment: it's not like this is the first time KP has been remotely difficult. I think suggesting that the issue with Pietersen is that he's not "mates" is a bit disingenuous really, it's clearly a bit more severe than that: if the (continuing, embarrassing) leaks are anything to go by, KP has as much chance of being on the India tour as I do.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:43:25 »

No, but occasionally someone at work gets so disruptive that a line is crossed and they have to removed from the environment: it's not like this is the first time KP has been remotely difficult. I think suggesting that the issue with Pietersen is that he's not "mates" is a bit disingenuous really, it's clearly a bit more severe than that: if the (continuing, embarrassing) leaks are anything to go by, KP has as much chance of being on the India tour as I do.

You do play spin with delightful soft hands!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:46:35 »

I couldn't do much worse than Bell did against Ajmal!

Latest from rumours from Lords suggest Strauss is calling it a day completely, first class and all.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 09:50:20 by Nemo » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 10:58:40 »

Officially retired from all professional Cricket, Cook takes over. Time will tell if it's the right time to go, but this makes the India tour very, very interesting. Also very sad, have nothing but respect for Strauss.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 11:02:48 »

Hes done a great job.  You have to remember the mess he inherited from the KP era.  Taken England to the top of the test tree.

Cant see KP been taken to India though.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: