Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread  (Read 60912 times)
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Monday, August 20, 2012, 17:35:09 »

get chris nash in
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Monday, August 20, 2012, 18:13:44 »

I'd agree with DMR, that it's probably time put Strauss out to pasture.  This seems like a natural point in the cycle....and I'd be very surprised if KP gets another game...both Taylor and Bairstow should be given a go now, with Cook as captain.  Ravi has had a fair crack of the whip in Tests and shouldn't play again.

Having to find another opener though is a bit of a problem atm...the summer has been so dismal, and the fixture list so strange, that very few players have had much of a chance to put their foot in the door....for this reason I think Strauss will take it to the end of  next summer.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Monday, August 20, 2012, 19:39:31 »

Agree DMR, Strauss has scored 2 hundreds since the 1 he scored in the 1st test of The Ashes down under, both this summer against the West Indies, who's bowling attack is by no means up there with the South Africans. A legend in his own right and a great captain. He did say in the interview he hopes he'd be the guy to lead England back to the top, although I'm not so sure. Playing at home to SA has seen a few captaincy changes over the last few series (Hussain/Vaughan, then Vaughan/Pietersen) so I wouldn't be surprised if Strauss stands down.

The whole KP incident needs sorting out before the end of our season, we have a massively tough trip to India this winter before entertaining Australia next year in The Ashes. I don't think Taylor is ready yet, although he is a classy batsman. Fair play to Jonny Bairstow, a great couple of knocks and would prefer him over Taylor. I'm not sure what the score is with Bopara but he's had far too many chances and just isn't good enough IMO at test match level. I still don't know why this series was only a 3 match test series, but SA deserved the series and look a class outfit. We don't play them again until 2015/16 so it could be a long wait if we are to return to World Number 1 in the test rankings!

ODI's start Friday, looking forward to going to Cardiff *weather please hold*!

What stand you in on Friday?

I dont think India is the place to blood a new opener and new captain.  Remember what happened to the one day squad in India last year?  But after the new year in New Zealand I expect someone to be given a go as someone rests.  Maybe Joe Root.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Monday, August 20, 2012, 19:40:06 »

Strauss is the weak link in the batting order, even Prior has a higher average over the last two years. I still think he has to take some of the blame for the problems with KP, it must have been building up over the previous months and a good captain would have diffused it earlier rather than letting it blow up. I'd say we've been successful despite Strauss rather than because of him.

He's not going to go though, unlike KP who barring a miracle won't be playing international cricket ever again.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Monday, August 20, 2012, 19:44:29 »

I reckon Prior will bat at 6 in India and they will play Samit Patel as a spinning all rounder to bat 7.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Monday, August 20, 2012, 20:54:46 »

What stand you in on Friday?

I dont think India is the place to blood a new opener and new captain.  Remember what happened to the one day squad in India last year?  But after the new year in New Zealand I expect someone to be given a go as someone rests.  Maybe Joe Root.

The Spar stand block 28...should be a good view at 'cow' or backward point depending on your take!

Yeah it's going to be a tough challenge whatever happens between now and then, we have the ODI series and then the t20 world cup in Sri Lanka as well before then, so lots of cricket and perhaps more importantly time available to make key decisions for the next chapter in English cricket!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 09:18:09 »

T20 Finals Day today, anyone going?

Sussex look strong, although I fancy Yorkshire. Somerset are my side but will no doubt come second somehow and Hants aren't too shabby either, an excellent finals day. That said, last year the team that looked like the whipping boys won so predictions seem a little silly.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 09:27:48 »

Somerset to lose in the final.  That's my only prediction...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 10:31:19 »

Somerset have been playing recently with as many as 9 players unavailable because of injury or international commitments...missing Compton, Keiswetter, Alfonso Thomas, Gregory, Waller, Meschede, Craig Overton, Jamie Overton, Dockerell....no idea who's playing today
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 10:34:39 »

Yeah, injuries/internationals have not been ideal for us this season, nor our continuing overseas player fiasco.

Believe Levi and Kevin O'Brien are overseas today, Kieswetter and Buttler are available from England and Tresco, Gregory and Kirby definitely fit. Not 100% sure on Thomas and Waller, hope the latter is fit or we have no spinner.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #295 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 11:21:18 »

Has the Summer of cricket finished yet?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 16:15:34 »

Hampshire v Yorkshire final, Hampshire made hard work of chasing a tiny total but Thomas looks disappointingly past it.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 16:29:42 »

T20 Finals Day today, anyone going?

Sussex look strong, although I fancy Yorkshire. Somerset are my side but will no doubt come second somehow and Hants aren't too shabby either, an excellent finals day. That said, last year the team that looked like the whipping boys won so predictions seem a little silly.

I am here!

My £30 on Yorkshire at 3/1 looking like money well spent thus far!

My man of the semis was Bairstow. My let down was Levi.  Although running him close was the Gloucestershire mascot in the mascot race!  Hants probably favourites in the final due to the better bowling attack but come on Yorkshire!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 17:13:05 »

At least Somerset didn't bottle it in the Final this time...
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 18:11:15 »

Come on Yorkshire!!!!

Bloody weather, absolutely pissed it down in Cardiff yesterday waited around for hours and match abandoned...but more than a few pints sunk  Pint

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: