Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Official Euro 2012 Thread  (Read 330315 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 13:15:00 »

Carrick's probably been in some of the best form of his career this season. Aided mostly by injuries to Anderson, Fletcher and Cleverley at Man Utd.

The problem is though, he doesn't fit the stereotype of an English international midfielder (i.e. tough-tackler or goal-getter). He's defensively not as good as Parker and doesn't score as many as Lampard/Gerrard.

It's a real shame, because he's probably one of the best passers of a football that I've seen.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 13:20:09 »

I'd prefer England had it's 100% best squad but it's not always going to be the case. Carrick is seemingly not a crucial member of the squad and rarely has been. So it's a surprise to me when people treat him like scum for not wanting another summer of wearing a 21 jersey and sitting on a bench with the hope of 10 minutes against Belgium because Lampard/Gerrard are knackered.

For 12 years Carrick has accepted every call-up without complaint. It's got to the stage where he's got to think of his long-term career. We hated Shearer for calling it quits after Euro 2000 but it prolonged his domestic career, the game that pays his wages.

Logic? Reason?

'E DAAAN'T WANNA PLAY FOR INGERLUND SO 'E CAN FACK RIGHT OFF

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 13:35:06 »

I think the same of Carrick that I do of carragher. Not a lot.

Playing for you country is a privalidge not a right.

But he did the correct thing. Any player that thinks they are too good to sit on the bench can stay at home. Even if they are right.

I guess that is a symptom of how football is right now. Some players just aren't that bothered by international football.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 13:43:55 »

Can you blame Carrick? He's spent a decade watching Gerrard and Lampard fail to click and watch every coach keep the faith.

Carrick has achieved a lot and has never been fully recognised on an international level. Carrick knows that it's not going to get easier for him and therefore he's allowing the new generation to progress.

I don't blame Carrick one bit.
So how would Carrick going along but not playing actually shorten his career ?

Simple fact is that a lot of players are content to pick up vast sums of money on their own terms and not want to leave their comfort zone.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 13:44:34 »

A holiday on your own personal Caribbean island or staying in a succession of dodgy Ukrainian hotels with the weight of a nation on your shoulders supported by fans who will crucify you when you inevitably fail to live up to the totally inappropriate tag of "world beaters".

I know where I'd rather be
Norway, presumably.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 13:53:23 »

Carrick's probably been in some of the best form of his career this season. Aided mostly by injuries to Anderson, Fletcher and Cleverley at Man Utd.

The problem is though, he doesn't fit the stereotype of an English international midfielder (i.e. tough-tackler or goal-getter). He's defensively not as good as Parker and doesn't score as many as Lampard/Gerrard.

It's a real shame, because he's probably one of the best passers of a football that I've seen.

Totally agree with that, technically excellent. Shame that with England he hasn't got a look in.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 14:06:40 »

So how would Carrick going along but not playing actually shorten his career ?

Simple fact is that a lot of players are content to pick up vast sums of money on their own terms and not want to leave their comfort zone.

Many feel that leaving the international set-up helps prevent additional injuries. I'm not a sports scientist but many have cited this. There's no point in arguing this as all I'll get is...

"It's an excuse."
"He plays for Manchester United, Fergie is telling him what to do - Smalling isn't really injured you know."
"Bobby Moore played when called upon."

Also, out of his comfort zone? Carrick has been in the England set-up for over 10 years! I dare say that he found the England squad comfy, spacious with a lovely day spa and ping pong table that suited his needs.

He's been an unused sub (included all of WC 2010) seven England squads he's been part of. He's spent an entire international career in the shadow of Lampard and Gerrard. Those two often defied the form argument when Carrick was playing brilliantly, picking up Champions League medals and League championships along the way.

After a decade of service, he's had enough. Sorry. Wants to swim in a pool of money just like Scrooge McDuck.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 14:16:35 »

I guess that is a symptom of how football is right now. Some players just aren't that bothered by international football.

But not all, fortunately. Ruddy was happy to cancel his wedding despite being 3rd choice keeper and needing a miracle / disaster for him to even get 5 minutes playing time.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 14:18:24 »

But not all, fortunately. Ruddy was happy to cancel his wedding despite being 3rd choice keeper and needing a miracle / disaster for him to even get 5 minutes playing time.

Not strictly true. He's been granted permission to miss the 2nd warm up game against Belgium.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 15:46:12 »

A holiday on your own personal Caribbean island or staying in a succession of dodgy Ukrainian hotels with the weight of a nation on your shoulders supported by fans who will crucify you when you inevitably fail to live up to the totally inappropriate tag of "world beaters".

I know where I'd rather be

Capello, made sure there would be no dodgy Ukrainian hotels for our boys, rather dodgy Polish hotels, and 5 hour tactical flights into Ukraine.  Can they really be going Aeroflot? Plane

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 15:50:25 »

I'm in the fair play to Carrick camp. He'd be one of the last picks to play and i doubt he'd get selected anyway.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 16:15:27 »

[Offtopic]
How ironic that we have an Official Euro 2012 Thread just as the Euro appears to be about to die a horrible death.  The architects of the European Project should be lined up against a wall and shot.  There's a shitstorm coming our way.
[/Offtopic]
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 17:40:21 »

The official England hotel is right in the centre of krakow near all the bars, but more importantly it's dead opposite roosters - a polish version of hooters.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 18:51:23 »

The official England hotel is right in the centre of krakow near all the bars, but more importantly it's dead opposite roosters - a polish version of hooters.

I went to (a) Roosters in Krakow back in 2007. We spent the whole day there, food, beer etc and when we settled our bill it was something crazy like the equivalent of 10 Euro each!! I guess the price has gone up since then however.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
nochee

« Reply #194 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 18:58:18 »

Well he's never going to get a shot if he doesn't go, perhaps Woy would have used him more.

He has the opportunity to potentially represent his company in a major tournament and says no because he's in a bit of a sulk.  He's supposed to be a professional footballer.

Fuck him. Let him sulk and let another, more eager, player take his place.

It's a classic case of cutting your nose off bla bla bla

Carrick has reached the level that most boys dream of, and snubbed it. Let's face it, he is hardly the player that can change the teams fortune, we will easily survive without him.

He is the one that will live to regret his decision. Especially if we went and won the thing!!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: