Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Official Euro 2012 Thread  (Read 330210 times)
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 20:42:15 »

6.27% of TEF agrees with you.

88.4% of statistics are made up on the spot.

"Absolute Calamity!"
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:09:58 »

It seems Michael Carrick didn't want to go unless he was definitely going to play.  Imagine if all players said that - we'd only take 11 players.  Poor attitude from a good player.

"Manchester United's Michael Carrick, who has not played for England since May 2010, was not considered because he told the Football Association he did not want to be a bit-part player".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18098812
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:18:07 »

Carrick has never been an England regular due to his position. He's 30, not played since 2010 so I don't really blame him.

Oh... I mean

HOW DARE YOU NOT WANT PLAY FOR YOUR NATION!
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:46:08 »

Not quite how I put it, Constanza.  I actually would have him in the first 11 - extremely underrated if you ask me.  It is of course completely up to him - there are now plenty that have chosen not to play.  However, I really thought he would be in the squad - and would have a good chance of playing time.  Personally I do think it is a bad decision to turn down the chance - its a couple of weeks of hard work with a chance to play in a big tournament.  But as I said, he is completely within his rights.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:47:25 »

My post wasn't in reference to what you wrote (other than the fact that you brought the Carrick news to our attention).
Flashheart

« Reply #170 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:49:10 »

Carrick has never been an England regular due to his position. He's 30, not played since 2010 so I don't really blame him.

Oh... I mean

HOW DARE YOU NOT WANT PLAY FOR YOUR NATION!

Well it does actually outline something that has been a regular grievance for England fans for some years now....... they just don't care. There's an opportunity to represent your country and some of these overpaid cunts would rather be off on holiday somewhere.

Fuck them.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:52:56 »

at the other end of the argument, at least he didn't go along not giving a shit
Flashheart

« Reply #172 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:54:26 »

Which is why I say 'fuck them'
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:57:07 »

Can you blame Carrick? He's spent a decade watching Gerrard and Lampard fail to click and watch every coach keep the faith.

Carrick has achieved a lot and has never been fully recognised on an international level. Carrick knows that it's not going to get easier for him and therefore he's allowing the new generation to progress.

I don't blame Carrick one bit.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:58:13 »

Well it does actually outline something that has been a regular grievance for England fans for some years now....... they just don't care. There's an opportunity to represent your country and some of these overpaid cunts would rather be off on holiday somewhere.

Fuck them.
A holiday on your own personal Caribbean island or staying in a succession of dodgy Ukrainian hotels with the weight of a nation on your shoulders supported by fans who will crucify you when you inevitably fail to live up to the totally inappropriate tag of "world beaters".

I know where I'd rather be
Flashheart

« Reply #175 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 12:00:07 »

Well he's never going to get a shot if he doesn't go, perhaps Woy would have used him more.

He has the opportunity to potentially represent his company in a major tournament and says no because he's in a bit of a sulk.  He's supposed to be a professional footballer.

Fuck him. Let him sulk and let another, more eager, player take his place.
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 12:11:49 »

My post wasn't in reference to what you wrote (other than the fact that you brought the Carrick news to our attention).

Oops.  Sorry.  Over-reaction possibly on my part.

I still think he ought not to have ruled himself out, but perhaps, as others have said, if he doesn't want to play it is better that somebody who does want to gets a place.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 12:24:21 »

I know where I'd rather be

Don't keep us in suspense!

(It's the dodgy Ukranian hotel, isn't it?)
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 12:27:26 by Ginginho » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 12:56:30 »

Can you blame Carrick? He's spent a decade watching Gerrard and Lampard fail to click and watch every coach keep the faith. Carrick has achieved a lot and has never been fully recognised on an international level. Carrick knows that it's not going to get easier for him and therefore he's allowing the new generation to progress. I don't blame Carrick one bit.

It's his decision and you've got to respect it. But when a player shows that kind of attitude to playing for England that should be them done and dusted and not given a second chance. You shouldn't have to beg them to play, or to come out of retirement - if it's not the most important thing for them then they're not the right player to pick.

You can say what you want about Beckham, but he'd give anything even his dying breath to play for England again. If only we had an entire squad of players with that attitude, we'd probably still lose but at least we'd know they were trying and it mattered to them.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 13:06:04 »

I'd prefer England had it's 100% best squad but it's not always going to be the case. Carrick is seemingly not a crucial member of the squad and rarely has been. So it's a surprise to me when people treat him like scum for not wanting another summer of wearing a 21 jersey and sitting on a bench with the hope of 10 minutes against Belgium because Lampard/Gerrard are knackered.

For 12 years Carrick has accepted every call-up without complaint. It's got to the stage where he's got to think of his long-term career. We hated Shearer for calling it quits after Euro 2000 but it prolonged his domestic career, the game that pays his wages.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: