Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 [313] 314 315 316 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1611633 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4680 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 15:56:33 »

Good. There's definitely a player in there somewhere. Time for home to start kicking on, though.
He needs to find his best position, for me its as a winger, his defending isn't up to standard yet but sometimes his crossing is excellent, as Aud says the set up at Cambridge was brilliant.

I still think a loan with game time would be best for him until Christmas though, he needs minutes on the pitch now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4681 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 17:15:54 »

I don't get iandolo.

he's got technique. but how long do you give him.

I hope he proves me wrong
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4682 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 17:27:40 »

I don't get iandolo.

Pretty much this.

He has a talent but is far from a 1st team standard consistantly and where he goes from here I dont know, he would benefit from a run of games but I feel its unlikely with us, 2 years surprises me though.

Good luck to him, would love to be proved wrong about him.

Is the longest serving player left at the club, has progressed a bit in 5 years but not enough for me.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4683 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 17:32:27 »

Last season was definitely his best though...
Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #4684 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 17:40:38 »

Let's hope next season will be better.

RW must rate him as well due to a 2 year contract. I think he will be played further up the pitch this season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4685 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 17:42:15 »

I don't get iandolo.

There are three types of footballer who get the Scholarships - Athletes (with the hope of teaching them to play football), good footballers and players with great technique (with the hope of teaching them to play football).  The latter group tend to fail more I think, because they can't rely on superb strength or pace to cover for not knowing where they should be or what they should be doing.  It's pretty hard to know if you've managed to get the ones in the middle when they are young though.  Iandolo simply doesn't look like a player that knows how to play football, he's just good with a football - I know that sounds odd, but I know what I mean.  As a youngster, I had a good footballers brain, an average footballers technique and zero athletic abilities.  Doomed to failure.  I bet Iandolo used to be able to do all sorts of tricks in the playground and grew up not having to worry about what position he'd play.

Something like that.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #4686 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 19:37:02 »

I don't get iandolo.

I agree, however, there is the Wellens effect. So based on the fact the gaffer has dished out a two year deal he must see something we have missed.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4687 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 09:08:54 »

There are three types of footballer who get the Scholarships - Athletes (with the hope of teaching them to play football), good footballers and players with great technique (with the hope of teaching them to play football).  The latter group tend to fail more I think, because they can't rely on superb strength or pace to cover for not knowing where they should be or what they should be doing.  It's pretty hard to know if you've managed to get the ones in the middle when they are young though.  Iandolo simply doesn't look like a player that knows how to play football, he's just good with a football - I know that sounds odd, but I know what I mean.  As a youngster, I had a good footballers brain, an average footballers technique and zero athletic abilities.  Doomed to failure.  I bet Iandolo used to be able to do all sorts of tricks in the playground and grew up not having to worry about what position he'd play.

Something like that.
Understand what you mean generally, but in regards to the specific instance of Iandolo, I think Wellens has seen enough of him to be able to make up his mind that he can play football and with all due respect I'd trust Wellens judgement on that rather more than yours or mine.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4688 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 10:38:52 »

I don't get iandolo.

You need squad players, daresay he's reasonably cheap and can do a job up and down the left.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4689 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 10:48:31 »

I don't get iandolo.

He counts as a home grown player which means with him in the squad we can have 7 subs on the bench. We know he can do a job if required whereas the alternative is a youth player on the bench or only 6 players. Keeping him makes sense on a number of fronts.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4690 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 11:03:41 »

I've lost track of the home grown bollocks..

but you are correct

didn't mean to be down on him. He just hadn't really shown he's going to be ousting anyone.

that said, it's easy to forget he's only 22 and had a few injury issues
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #4691 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:00:46 »

Versatile, still young, meets the home grown rules and was looking increasingly handy until he was assaulted against Vale. At the bare minimum he's a reasonable squad player so well worth keeping. As has been said, perhaps RW can nail down a role that suits him best and develop him there.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #4692 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 12:08:25 »

Definitely has something about him and fills out the squad which many have stated. Brilliant assist at Cambridge and I thought he was superb that day at Orient..
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4693 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 13:41:08 »

You'd almost want to to take him to one side and give him a personal coach for the next season.  Just drill him on positional and tactical play, see if it works.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4694 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 15:22:06 »

You'd almost want to to take him to one side and give him a personal coach for the next season.  Just drill him on positional and tactical play, see if it works.

I'd imagine he would work well under the guidance of a coach like Scott Parker. He clearly understands the difference of characters. The mental element too and that a "one way fix" works for everyone. He's become an impressive manager and done well to bounce back to the Prem too. No easy task. Many more experienced have failed.

Btw, I'm not suggesting Ian is capable of that level (in case those here that love to pick out one word and use it as an argument against), just that a coach like Parker could get the best out of him. I think Wellens might be able to also.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 [313] 314 315 316 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: