Pages: 1 ... 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1611658 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4380 on: Thursday, February 20, 2020, 22:15:59 »

Unfortunately stinks of "Fear of failure" for Joe. A shame but at Melksham he'll been seen as a big fish in a small pond. He'll probably enjoy that, especially while on a pro wage. Likely be too late to realise it was the wrong decision when the penny drops.

My mantra is to always push yourself and it should never be a piece of piss. It's all relative though, if he's comfortable with that then fair enough. Shame though, it's a privileged position to be in and you'd like to think he would make the most of it. Hope he doesn't regret it when he looks back.
I’ve played one level below that and I’m crap. He’s playing teams like Slimbridge and Cinderford from what I remember when I played, it’s not even remotely close to league level. Seems very foolish to me.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4381 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 01:04:27 »

I’ve played one level below that and I’m crap. He’s playing teams like Slimbridge and Cinderford from what I remember when I played, it’s not even remotely close to league level. Seems very foolish to me.

Hmmm it does seem a tad strange. But maybe he isn't having much foresight and thinks "this is alright, piss easy football, less training and I'm still getting a pro wage."

It'll bite him on the bum. I wasn't brilliant but half decent, the closest I got to "big time" was training with Hednesford Town Reserves. It was probably a borderline moment for myself after missing out getting picked up by Chesterfield (two other lads in my team did but they weren't great and one was a stroppy cunt (surprised then he didn't go on to make a career in the Prem!), one of our keepers got picked up deservedly by Notts County, I was certain he would make it) but travelling 3-4 times a week as a 16/17yr old to Cannock Chase with no parents to take me or afford to fund it, it was quite difficult to maintain (travelling from near Chesterfield). Had there been more support links/programmes I could've continued.

A raft of trials and playing for a few semi-pro clubs followed. Coupled with being jaded by the Chesterfield miss out and other things beginning to interest me (not just the cliche of women and beer), you feel that bit of the dream slipping away. There's a millions, if not more similar stories to mine. I'm sure with ones that got even closer to being a "nearly man".

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4382 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:40:20 »

That's an interesting way to make a story about Joe Romanski about yourself....

I like Joe. Trains at the same gym at me and is a nice lad... I hope he can come back into the STFC fold.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4383 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 16:38:22 »

My nephew Olly play at Melksham with him.  Says he's allright.

Searing insight as ever there.

Never knowingly overstated.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4384 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 16:55:48 »

Seems a bit harsh to me with the lack of ambition comments. He's young and enjoying life, why not enjoy it whilst it lasts. I would.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4385 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 21:07:49 »

That's an interesting way to make a story about Joe Romanski about yourself....

I like Joe. Trains at the same gym at me and is a nice lad... I hope he can come back into the STFC fold.

Not really. Theakston mentioned he played at a similar level to that JR is at currently. Natural conversation flow meant there was a relative interest that came full circle. I was purely offering a slight insight as to what JR may be thinking and highlighted the difficulties of "making it", that are sometimes out of our hands. For JR, he is in a more privileged position. I'm purely saying I hope he doesn't waste it.

Sorry for being semi-decent at football and offering a "relative" experience. The fuck is it with some of you people on here.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #4386 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:43:15 »

Real shame Lydon is out for the rest of the season. Class act of a player.

We’ve consistently looked our best when playing 433 with Lydon, Grant and Doughty in mid

Fine to play 4231 at home but will be interesting if Rose or Palmer get a run in the away games
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4387 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:49:17 »

Lyden is a big miss but we have the talent at the club in midfield to soak up that problem, we have Palmer, Rose and Anderson who can now vye for a starting place in a similar slot in the team.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #4388 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 10:38:23 »

wonder how many of the current squad we will see again. shame we probably wont see doyle or benda again in a shirt town
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4389 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 10:49:08 »

‘This Town is looking like a Shirt Town’
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4390 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 11:01:19 »

wonder how many of the current squad we will see again. shame we probably wont see doyle or benda again in a shirt town
I think Benda and DJ and possibly REG will come back next season, Yates may well be made a perm signing too.

Not sure Muskwe was up to the required level in L2 let alone L1, but never saw enough from him to make a judgement, he did well in 2 games but poor in the other 4 or 5 games he came on.

Doyle and Grant I would like to think will be given a year extention as Wellens hinted was in their contracts.

Benda is probably not close enough to first team level at Swansea so I think they will be happy to send him back for at least 6 months loan, Norwich have said DJ needs to step up another level before he can get into their side, we will be at that higher level.

REG I think could be a decent squad player and us being a league higher would work in our favour, he only made a handful of mistakes in his 9 games and looks promising.

Yates obviously loves it at Swindon and plays 3 or 4 good games for every 5 he plays, if he could improve his finishing he would be a very good Championship level player.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4391 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 08:41:58 »

When is the Retained List usually published?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4392 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 08:56:41 »

When is the Retained List usually published?
It often varies heavily, some do not announce it until the final contract date of 1st June, but many clubs announce players that will not be having contracts renewed as soon as they have kicked their final ball of the season.

Usually all players that will be leaving clubs will already know their fate by the last game of the season anyway as the players will have been told they are free to find new clubs.

This is definately very different though as even players under contract may have their contracts terminated anyway if next season is postponed for a year, which has been mooted, then almost every player in L1 and L2 would be a free agent come the start of the actual next season.

Clubs will of course have to honour longer contracts but it could mean almost a totally level playing field player wise in a years time.

I doubt any club this low in the league structure could survive if they have to pay players for a whole season playing no competitive matches and with pretty much zero income.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4393 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 09:42:31 »

Lee Power stated in the TalkSport interview that the conversation hasn't even started.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4394 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 10:13:46 »

Lee Power stated in the TalkSport interview that the conversation hasn't even started.
Under the present circumstances thats understandable as until Friday we didn't even know what league we would be in next season.

I was commentaing on what usually happens not what has happened this season as the question asked.

Pages: 1 ... 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: