Pages: 1 ... 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1612002 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3795 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 18:09:10 »

Other than the facts back up Ticker to some extent... it's hardly surprising given that Power owns both clubs..  It will be interesting to see what becomes of Noel Hunt, as I believe the Irish season starts in Feb, and Wellens has got in Lifter for cone duties.  Hunt always looked like a move of conveneience in reverse to Vigs, Smith and Evans.

Could be that RW & Hunt met on a coaching course?
More likely that Power is giving NH a helping hand on the coaching ladder.
Football, like any other employment market, has always operated on the "who you know" network.
Jobs for the boys, call it what you will.

Having said that it, it us unusual for us to have 4 coaches, including Taylor, on board. Five if the GK coach is included.
Will need a bigger dugout at this rate.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3796 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 18:35:13 »

Having said that it, it us unusual for us to have 4 coaches, including Taylor, on board. Five if the GK coach is included.
Will need a bigger dugout at this rate.

Different time and all that (spending wise, relative to then) but PdC had quite a big one didn't he? Backroom staff that is.

Was it really 6 years ago when the verge of almost guaranteed 2nd Tier football was in clear and confident sight? Only to all come crashing down and be replaced with "Rooaaarrrr!"

Sad

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3797 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 18:54:33 »

Different time and all that (spending wise, relative to then) but PdC had quite a big one didn't he? Backroom staff that is.

Was it really 6 years ago when the verge of almost guaranteed 2nd Tier football was in clear and confident sight? Only to all come crashing down and be replaced with "Rooaaarrrr!"

Sad

I think it was 4 under PDC including the man himself.

As Reg has said, wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor move on in the summer. Either a PL coaching job in development or some punditry for Sky, or both.

A belief that the good times will come again is what keeps me going. A Rochdale like spell in L2 or worse would be a nightmare scenario.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #3798 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 22:31:39 »

Not wanting too many loan players, then getting 6.

Saying not thinking of PO's as you can lose 2 games, which is sort of what has happened so the others disappear out of view, then saying Robinson is in for a crack at the PO's

Saying Robinson scores in batches.... he doesn't, as 13 FL goals in 3 and 2/3 seasons testifies.

Correctly pointing out we've been poor at home for several years.... then saying it's because the players can't handle the pressure.... I don't think that is the reason.

It's what happens gaffers come in with good intentions then get taken over by events...... the good ones can sort it out, the no good ones can't, as yet we've no idea as to what sort Wellens is, but I'll say again I reckon he needs 4 home wins, minimum, to suggest next season could be better.
The only one of those that could possibly be considered incoherent is the one about Robinson scoring in batches. But he may well have been referring to a little spell that Robinson had in April 2018 (I checked) when he scored 5 goals in 4 games. If you go on Soccerbase and check his goalscoring stats you'll see that he does tend to score in batches - he'll score in consecutive games or 2 in 4 games.....the problem is that he doesn't score again for 10-20 games. So Wellens is not actually wrong in his assessment.

He explained in the phone-in the other day why he got loans in. There's no incoherence. He has said many times that he prefers permanent signing rather than loans and he would have preferred to have signed permanents in the January window, but it is not always possible as they are more difficult to find in that window. Loans were all he could get with what he had available in the way of funds (and the quality of the loans was better than the quality of permanent signings that he could have made). Just because he had to do what he prefers not do to doesn't make him incoherent. It just means his options were limited. He also said that some of the loans were with a view to a permanent signing next season so the players are basically on trial for the next few months and could well be permanent signings.

He may have said he wasn't thinking of the play-offs. However, with the signings that he has managed to get he may also think it is a possible "to have a crack". That's not incoherence, it's positive thinking.

As for the home form it's a matter of opinion. He thinks it's because the players can't handle the pressure and I'm sure there are many who agree with him. Just because you don't think that is the reason doesn't make him incoherent. It just means he has a different opinion to yours.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3799 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 00:25:45 »

Wellens is doing the best he can in the circumstances and he has got us up 3 places in the league which is to his credit...but this is not an easy job.

I'm not expecting a magic wand, he's going to make a lot of mistakes... they all do. The key though is seeing some improvement as a result of your decisions... this particularly in our case applies to the home form, if Theo can get say 4 goals at the CG by May, perhaps we could win 4 games, the sort of minimum requirement. Let's hope it starts on Tuesday
Panda Paws

« Reply #3800 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 09:47:26 »

The only one of those that could possibly be considered incoherent is the one about Robinson scoring in batches. But he may well have been referring to a little spell that Robinson had in April 2018 (I checked) when he scored 5 goals in 4 games. If you go on Soccerbase and check his goalscoring stats you'll see that he does tend to score in batches - he'll score in consecutive games or 2 in 4 games.....the problem is that he doesn't score again for 10-20 games. So Wellens is not actually wrong in his assessment.

He explained in the phone-in the other day why he got loans in. There's no incoherence. He has said many times that he prefers permanent signing rather than loans and he would have preferred to have signed permanents in the January window, but it is not always possible as they are more difficult to find in that window. Loans were all he could get with what he had available in the way of funds (and the quality of the loans was better than the quality of permanent signings that he could have made). Just because he had to do what he prefers not do to doesn't make him incoherent. It just means his options were limited. He also said that some of the loans were with a view to a permanent signing next season so the players are basically on trial for the next few months and could well be permanent signings.

He may have said he wasn't thinking of the play-offs. However, with the signings that he has managed to get he may also think it is a possible "to have a crack". That's not incoherence, it's positive thinking.

As for the home form it's a matter of opinion. He thinks it's because the players can't handle the pressure and I'm sure there are many who agree with him. Just because you don't think that is the reason doesn't make him incoherent. It just means he has a different opinion to yours.

I'm glad you had the enthusiasm to do this. Was thinking the same but couldn't be bothered calling out more nonsense.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #3801 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 09:53:18 »

But but but....we're not in danger of going down anymore (we never were but you know what i mean) so someone/something else has to take it in the neck. This week's candidate(s) being the new gaffer and our home form.

Good post Exiled Bob and i feel exactly the same Panda.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #3802 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 10:22:58 »

But but but....we're not in danger of going down anymore (we never were but you know what i mean) so someone/something else has to take it in the neck. This week's candidate(s) being the new gaffer and our home form.

Good post Exiled Bob and i feel exactly the same Panda.
My post was to be fair more abouti am concerned the way he seems to marginalise players quite quickly and publicly. On the pitch so far i am happy enough i just worry about the public moaning about players.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3803 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 10:24:50 »

I agree fully with Exiled Bob too, more reason for optimism than pessimism for me at the moment, I was against his appointment initially but hes doing things fairly well so far, of course there are blips, but I for one am far more optimistic than I was under the previous 4 or 5 managers.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3804 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 10:26:40 »

My post was to be fair more abouti am concerned the way he seems to marginalise players quite quickly and publicly. On the pitch so far i am happy enough i just worry about the public moaning about players.
I understand what you are saying mate, players these days seem to respond less well to having problems aired in public unlike the older days, with players mollycoddled far more now than ever before.

I think Wellens has weighed up the players already and knows which ones will respond better to that style and some that won't, hence not naming them but hinting to them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #3805 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 10:36:09 »

The only potential damage he could do by talking negatively about fringe players is alienating them before releasing them.

He's already said the squad is too big. It'll be a quality over quantity approach next year, so think we'll see the back of people like Iandolo, and if the kids don't go out on load and develop, they'll be released at the earliest opportunity. Rightly so.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #3806 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 10:38:05 »

The only potential damage he could do by talking negatively about fringe players is alienating them before releasing them.

He's already said the squad is too big. It'll be a quality over quantity approach next year, so think we'll see the back of people like Iandolo, and if the kids don't go out on load and develop, they'll be released at the earliest opportunity. Rightly so.
Can't argue with that if it works mate.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3807 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 10:39:15 »

I'm glad you had the enthusiasm to do this. Was thinking the same but couldn't be bothered calling out more nonsense.

Right let me see if I've got this right... on the one occasion in the last 6 seasons that EB mentioned when Theo scored in 3 games out of 4.... that justifies him scoring in "batches". Sorry don't see it.  Interestingly in that trot, he scored v Oldham managed by Wellens.  I'm sure Theo brings something, but a goal rush doesn't look to be likely on the past 6 years.

EB maintains Wellens is right in his interpretation, yet a scan of the stats reveals one other occasion in the last 6 years where Theo scored in back to back games.

Call it nonsense if you want, but I don't think it is and will continue to try and interpret the facts.

Panda Paws

« Reply #3808 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 11:30:20 »

Right let me see if I've got this right... on the one occasion in the last 6 seasons that EB mentioned when Theo scored in 3 games out of 4.... that justifies him scoring in "batches". Sorry don't see it.  Interestingly in that trot, he scored v Oldham managed by Wellens.  I'm sure Theo brings something, but a goal rush doesn't look to be likely on the past 6 years.

EB maintains Wellens is right in his interpretation, yet a scan of the stats reveals one other occasion in the last 6 years where Theo scored in back to back games.

Call it nonsense if you want, but I don't think it is and will continue to try and interpret the facts.

I'm fine with people interpreting facts. It's the huge leap in logic from this interpretation of fact v a manager's pre-match press conference to the statement that RW is "increasingly incoherent".

That is nonsense.
Flashheart

« Reply #3809 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 11:36:07 »

Reg spouting shite?

Shocking
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: