Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1612009 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #3165 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 17:11:55 »

Not sure of the exact timelines but the specificity of Ferret's "15th birthday" thing makes me think that Lukas may have still been in the Southampton academy at that point

That's right yep.

I appreciate that not many of our youth teamers have done a lot elsewhere, but I'm not willing to dismiss that as being due to 99% of them over the last 20 years being hopeless, and I still think the club has a lot to answer for.

Some clubs of an equivalent size will obviously have it a lot more difficult to get very young lads in if they're in the suburbs of Manchester or similar. We are the size of a city, with no league club within 30 miles and no Prem club within 60 miles. We will always have a reasonable area to recruit from (even if, granted, big clubs still get first pickings). And yet we hardly ever make it work.

We are good at taking young boys from the depths of non league and developing them (Charlie, Gladwin etc), we are good at taking young boys from bigger clubs and developing them (Ritchie, Luongo etc), but we are bad at developing our own.

Even Nathan barely played until he was about 21, he couldn't get a game in the Wilson / Hart days. When Paolo di Canio (who gave Nathan his chance, gave Louis his debut at 17, and also gave some of the other young lads such as Kennedy and Storey a fair few games) represents the most patient this century, it really doesn't reflect well on the club at all.

Maybe Smith is a naughty boy. But Flitcroft was raving about him in the summer - he was doing the same about Twine. Another one who is way down the ladder because he would never get a sniff of football here. Last week they interviewed the Chippenham manager on the radio after their game and asked whether Flitcroft phones him in the week to talk about Twine. The answer was basically a polite and long-winded 'no'.

This could probably justify a thread of its own, but I'm heavily involved with youth development within another sport and it's something that I will always feel pretty strongly about.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3166 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 17:25:12 »

I’d imagine when Flitcroft got the gig with a decent budget and the proviso of getting back up at the first attempt, blooding youngsters wasn’t high in his priorities.

Not that I advocate ignoring our own but those youngsters we bring in on loan look a cut above what we have.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #3167 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 17:42:05 »

I’d imagine when Flitcroft got the gig with a decent budget and the proviso of getting back up at the first attempt, blooding youngsters wasn’t high in his priorities.

Not that I advocate ignoring our own but those youngsters we bring in on loan look a cut above what we have.

Fair enough, and I'm certainly not against loaning youngsters in. But I haven't been taken by any of them yet. For example, all Gordon seemed capable of last week was laying the ball off to Purkiss (who certainly isn't in the team for his crossing ability), and I wasn't sorry or surprised to see him go off at half time.

And of course the older boys aren't tearing up trees. Dunne strikes me as a headless chicken with limited ability, far from the experienced cool head that he's meant to be, and McDermott keeps letting us down. Do they offer more than, say, Smith and Iandolo would? Not for me.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3168 on: Friday, November 10, 2017, 18:34:12 »

Tom Smith loan extended by 2 months
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3169 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 14:01:06 »

McDermott out 4-6 weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41970685

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #3170 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 19:33:06 »

Fixed it for you
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3171 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 20:23:11 »

When inserting a link you don't need to use any special tags unless you want to name or shorten it. Fixed.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3172 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 21:03:11 »

When inserting a link you don't need to use any special tags unless you want to name or shorten it. Fixed.

How is a man supposed to keep up with all this change?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3173 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 09:38:04 »

How is a man supposed to keep up with all this change?

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3174 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 09:58:00 »

I'd try a snappy response but it turns out I don't know how to post pictures any more. Bloody TEF and its kiddytech.  Angry

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3175 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 12:11:00 »

I'd try a snappy response but it turns out I don't know how to post pictures any more. Bloody TEF and its kiddytech.  Angry

Use tags like these:

Code:
[img]https://yourgoogleimage.jpg[/img]

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3176 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 12:24:05 »

HOW TO: Embed images in posts (for idiots)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3177 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 12:51:12 »

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #3178 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 13:13:25 »

With January approaching what do we need to improve for the 2nd half of the season, I'd suggest a box to box midfielder and a striker
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #3179 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 13:15:56 »

With January approaching what do we need to improve for the 2nd half of the season, I'd suggest a box to box midfielder and a striker
Cover in the defence and a creative type midfielder for at home. Not sure we need any more strikers
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: