Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1611574 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 14:33:35 »

We've been told there will be 20 of our players next season, so it should be relatively easy to work out who that will be...

Something like...

Branco
Belford
Foderingham (unless sold)
Thompson twins
Ward
Byrne
Kasim
Gladwin
Luongo
Harley
The Smiths
Barker
Ranger (usual provisos applying)
Storey
Barttram

That leaves wriggle room for 3 others.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 14:48:33 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 14:50:52 »

Are we planning for a squad of 20 plus a similar intake of loanees?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 14:54:03 »

What 20 loanees?  Smiley

You can't run a squad in this day and age on only 20 players, so you'd imagine it will be supplemented by about 3/4 loanees.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 15:00:39 »

What 20 loanees?  Smiley

You can't run a squad in this day and age on only 20 players, so you'd imagine it will be supplemented by about 3/4 loanees.

Poorly/incorrectly worded. Deserved.

Smiley
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 15:13:31 »

Barthram has looked pretty ok whenever I've seen him but Cooper doesn't exactly seem a big fan and its hard to see him shifting Nathan Thompson from the first team other than for injury or suspension. In which case Cooper would most likely replace him with Nathan Byrne. If McEveley goes elsewhere then maybe Byrne would compete with Smith (or god forbid Reckord) for left back slot and Barthram would have a shot at stepping in at right back but I think Cooper is more likely to extend Branco who gives options as right back, 3rd man in a back 3, or 2nd centre back.

Ferguson, Francis and Oakley don't really seem to have challenged for place in first team. Have they actually made the bench this season? So expect them all to be off to Chippenham or Supermarine. Waldon may get another year but probably needs to make reasonable impact when Cooper gives him a chance as he kind of did against Sheff Utd. But in view of desire for quality not quantity I think he's got quite a lot to do to earn another year.

Would imagine Jay, Troy and Cox might get hugely reduced offers but acceptance entirely dependent on what else is on table for them elsewhere

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 15:57:12 »

I'd imagine that's the plan. 20 full-time squad players plus 4/5 loanees. I'd be happy if the core of  the squad looks like this next year (Similar to Reg):

Fods
Belford
Thompson 1, the Greater
Thompson 2, the Younger
New Centre Back
Troy/Ward (either, I don't expect both. We have to keep Ward really if we get rid of Troy, but I would prefer Troy)
Alex Smith
Byrne
Kasim
Gladwin
Luongo
Harley (Not a huge fan, but eh, he'll probably stay and he might improve)
Michael Smith
Nile Ranger (as Reg said, usual provisos)
Storey

That's 16. If possible it'd be good if we keep:
Cox - he's a good player who's had a fair bit work against him in the past few years.
Branco - (he's had a stuttery season, but I do think he's one who's only going to improve.
Jay Mac - not going to lie, he's finally proved me wrong this season, want him to stay.

So that makes 19, which is deliberate as in m wildest dreams I see us signing a young striker who turns into the next Charlie Austin.

As for loans, it'd be good to have Pritchard back, although I do think he'll go to a Championship side next season. Mason is someone likely to come back I think, possibly as a permanent signing. Stephens has done a brilliant job, so it'd be great to have him for a season. Would be nice to have a winger or two on loan, there are some decent ones floating about Premiership youth/development sides. As a complete pipedream, Nick Powell would be a great player to have- he's not getting a look in at Man U and was easily one of the best players in the lower leagues before he went up North.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 17:24:45 »

Nick Powell would be a great player to have- he's not getting a look in at Man U and was easily one of the best players in the lower leagues before he went up North.
One of the best players in the Championship currently and will probably get a Premier League loan next season.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #862 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 17:37:54 »

One of the best players in the Championship currently and will probably get a Premier League loan next season.
Almost definately. He has been Wigans best performer this season and is in line for player of the season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:33:56 »

Almost definately. He has been Wigans best performer this season and is in line for player of the season.

Shit me, utterly missed that he was on loan at Wigan this season.

Whoosh.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 21:57:27 »

Nick Powell would be a great player to have- he's not getting a look in at Man U and was easily one of the best players in the lower leagues before he went up North.
Agreed, he was the best player on the park when we opened with the 3-0 home win v Crew Alex under PDC.

But in what era would the twenty mile northerly trip from Crewe to Manchester have constituted going "oop Norf"
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 23:04:59 »

... it's further North than Crewe, therefore is up North in comparison.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #866 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 07:22:49 »

... it's further North than Crewe, therefore is up North in comparison.
Going up in the world, literally.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 09:31:09 »

Josue Antonio becomes our latest 'work experience' Samsung winner.

Good name though.
kerry red

« Reply #868 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 09:34:06 »

I suppose the 'sue' part is quite apt for us.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #869 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 09:38:48 »

Josue Antonio becomes our latest 'work experience' Samsung winner.

Good name though.
I see Kayden Jackson scored for Oxford City again Tuesday, not sure how many goals he has scored this term for Supermarine and Pox City but it must be close to 30.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: