Pages: 1 ... 317 318 319 [320] 321 322 323 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1618348 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4785 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 13:18:47 »

He’s not good enough for the championship, the facts prove it.

If you haven’t played in the top 2 tiers and you’re 33 it means you probably haven’t been good enough to do so during your career.

Nothing wrong with that, i couldn’t give a shit, he’s more than good enough to be a force in league 1 still and that’s all that matters
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4786 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 13:24:16 »

He’s moved around enough to think that at least one of the moves could/should have been from a side higher up the pyramid by now

I dunno. Maybe this season will be the one that changes that. Fingers crossed

I know exactly where you are coming from but it does happen in "later" life for players. Different divisions but it's all relative. I'm sure going into the 2013/14 season when Wes Morgan's deal was due to end the following Summer, he likely thought he'd be either playing to get a better deal elsewhere or doing enough to justify an extension. I would imagine at that point he would look back and think that he would spend his career as a Championship level player and no realistic thoughts about playing in the Premier League.

Obviously Leicester went on to romp a Championship title at a canter but had they only achieved a middling season, I imagine Morgan would've been seeing out his career at Champ level.

The point being, 17 other players make up a matchday squad and around another 10-13 make up a team that should be keeping you on your toes and so on. That kind of drive behind you should make you work harder, if every single one of them is working just as hard to displace you and especially so in the same position/role. Healthy competition, an older player should want some younger lad trying to force into the squad.

I can see what you mean RE: Grant, if he was (well he has been voted PoTY several times) the stand out player in a squad, then you'd think he would be a good addition to an even better squad higher up the "chain". I guess maybe his past "attitude" has been a factor, maybe an unsettling risk/influence? We as fans really don't know but as far as we can see, currently at Town he has always applied himself professionally; as well as a seemingly good relationship and understanding with RW. He played that Cov game like it was a crunch league fixture. Friendly or not, he made everyone aware that he was on the pitch. Long may it continue.

NB: Also thought Baudry played pretty well. When you watch back and track his movements, he was generally in good positions or moved to be in the right position, to make some key clearances. I do like Baudry, I think he is marginally/similarly underrated in the same way Hunt is - yet we'd definitely be weaker without them. L1 is likely Baudry's level but as stated, if you have another 17-25 players all pushing each other to be better, you can find that desire, commitment and energy to find another gear. All you then need to do is microwave it, and ping...synergy  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4787 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 13:30:44 »

If you haven’t played in the top 2 tiers and you’re 33 it means you probably haven’t been good enough to do so during your career.

Nothing wrong with that, i couldn’t give a shit, he’s more than good enough to be a force in league 1 still and that’s all that matters

Don't think anyone is suggesting he would boss a top end or even mid-table Championship side but I think he could do a job in a lower end Championship side; or a recently promoted to Championship side. That would be me own opinion of his limit.

Like arseholes - opinions, we all have one. And yes, some of them stink, some think they smell of roses and some think the sun shines out of it but we do all have one nonetheless Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4788 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 13:44:22 »

I wonder whether the player has expressed a view (in interviews etc) whether he could/should have played at a higher level and, if the answer is yes, why he hasn't.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #4789 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 13:49:10 »

They really don't.

They may suggest it. But they fall far from proving it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4790 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 14:42:57 »

Thing is, when/if we go up again this season, would you (collective you) still want him in the team?

Damn right I would!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4791 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 14:53:15 »

Thing is, when/if we go up again this season, would you (collective you) still want him in the team?

Damn right I would!

If the same attitude and professionalism is sustained this season from last with Grant then absolutely. Even though this would be a new challenge for himself, at a minimum, doing it as a squad player; the wider experience and locker room influence would be great to have.

'Incessant Nonsense'

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4792 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 13:22:35 »

Interesting graphic regarding each L1 club’s squad ‘churn’. Some of the supposed big hitters have huge numbers - could go either way. Have they dumbed down or traded up?

Ours is just over 50%.

* 0CD8702C-E246-4442-B6E9-94BB4D9CE4A5.png (209.19 KB, 360x332 - viewed 281 times.)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4793 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 13:34:57 »

Interesting graphic regarding each L1 club’s squad ‘churn’. Some of the supposed big hitters have huge numbers - could go either way. Have they dumbed down or traded up?

Ours is just over 50%.

Isn't the higher number a good thing as effectively less churn?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4794 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 13:44:19 »

I automatically thought the higher the % the higher the churn. Dunno, really.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4795 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 13:48:36 »

I automatically thought the higher the % the higher the churn. Dunno, really.
Dark bits represent players still at club so definitely think the higher the % the better.

Ours makes sense as we've lost Benda/McCormick, Doyle, Yates and Woolery/Isgrove that would effectively account for 40% of our 1st team minutes alone last season.
Flashheart

« Reply #4796 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 13:48:45 »

It is counter-intuituve at first, but it does appear the higher number means the fewer changes in the squad.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #4797 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 14:03:05 »

You’d imagine stability to be a good thing, though we won div 4 and hit the top of div 3 with Paolo and there was little sign of stability on the field, off the field... or indeed ‘in the head’ there!
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #4798 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 20:33:24 »

You’d imagine stability to be a good thing, though we won div 4 and hit the top of div 3 with Paolo and there was little sign of stability on the field, off the field... or indeed ‘in the head’ there!
I’ve just had a look at my di Canio dictionary, and the page with “stability” on it seems to have been ripped out.

Ah - here we are.  It’s tucked in at the end. 
STABILITY - Underperforming player susceptible to receiving a visit from the boys.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4799 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 14:59:20 »

So, Jonny Smith on loan, should hopefully add some goals and assists.
Can't remember him when he played against us last season Oldham.
Does he fill the 'tricky little fella' requirement filled by Isgrove?

We need a 'pace and power' option as well, so I'm hoping that Woolery will sign or better still an upgraded replacement.
Hopefully those are attributes that are being looked for in the recruitment.
The formation last season was suited to playing on the counter so more of the same would be good.

The jigsaw is coming together ok.
#undertheradar

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 319 [320] 321 322 323 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: