Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1621075 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4635 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 17:36:55 »

Presume Donohue is the full back.
If all the full backs who have been offered deals accept them, Donohue could be surplus? Either in contract or offered we have Hunt, Caddis, Fryers, Reid, Iandolo.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4636 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 17:59:29 »

If all the full backs who have been offered deals accept them, Donohue could be surplus? Either in contract or offered we have Hunt, Caddis, Fryers, Reid, Iandolo.
Iandolo has been offered a contract elsewhere and is mulling it over, I can forsee Reid going out on loan again and Wellens seemed to prefer Fryers as a centre back which would leave just Hunt, Caddis and Donohue.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4637 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 18:50:55 »

iandolo isn't a full back
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4638 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 19:10:36 »

Iandolo has been offered a contract elsewhere and is mulling it over, I can forsee Reid going out on loan again and Wellens seemed to prefer Fryers as a centre back which would leave just Hunt, Caddis and Donohue.
Hence why I said "If" Smiley

iandolo isn't a full back
Wing back/full back. Don't think he'd be first choice in either position in our squad, but as a squad player he'd still count as cover for a position where we seem to have lots of options.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4639 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 19:15:41 »

Donohue is the best of all the options when it comes to left back though assuming he can be kept on the straight and narrow.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4640 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 19:17:47 »

Donohue is the best of all the options when it comes to left back though assuming he can be kept on the straight and narrow.
Not doubting his quality, just musing aloud whether we can or would want to have so many options for one position (and yes I know several of them can play other positions too) in what's likely to be an era of much more constrained budgets. We'll see, I'm sure Wellens has a plan for it.
Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #4641 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 19:52:49 »

I think if we sign Donohue we should be good at full back with him, fryers, hunt and Caddis, with potentially Reid or maybe he is loaned out again. 2 for each position should be enough with possible budget restrictions and each can one of them can cover another position.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4642 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 20:23:06 »

Not doubting his quality, just musing aloud whether we can or would want to have so many options for one position (and yes I know several of them can play other positions too) in what's likely to be an era of much more constrained budgets. We'll see, I'm sure Wellens has a plan for it.
If it comes to Iandolo or Donohue though it’s Donohue every time for me. From what we’ve seen of Reid so far I can’t see him figuring at all. Donohue has played left back, left mid and even centre mid for teams in the past so definitely ticks the versatile box as well.
Flashheart

« Reply #4643 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 20:31:48 »

Iandolo migtht be better off going somewhere else. At his age he needs games, and we can't promise him that.

We can then watch him turn into Ronaldo after a full season and get sold for gazillions.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4644 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 20:53:09 »

Iandolo is a good footballer but doesn't seem to know how to play a position.  I guess the hope has always been that will come with age and experience, but doesn't seem like much progress has been made really.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #4645 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 21:42:45 »

Iandolo looked incredibly promising when he first broke through as a number ten, before being completely ruined by Flitcroft putting him at left back because he was left footed. Another in the long list of reasons to hate flitcroft

Things get better but they never get good
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4646 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 21:50:18 »

Iandolo was looking quite promising when he seemed to be breaking through as a No.10 but obviously a bad injury this term has unfortunately set him back. It could be make or break for him, whether with us or not. I'm sure Wellens seems him more as an attacking minded player. Anyhoo Flitcroft totally misjudged his ability by shoving/shoehorning him into a LB role, purely based on him being left footed.

I feel his time may be up here though and better to move on, especially if he wants regular  game time. L2 should have several offers but he could still be a squad player here.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4647 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 08:42:32 »

For the sake of his career I think Iandolo needs to move on, I doubt he will get much game time with us next season, he has skill and control but drifts in and out of games and his defending at times is shocking.

He needs to be played with a solid fullback behind him giving him the freedom to attack.

He also suffered quite a nasty injury last season and that could take a while to come back to any level of fitness again.

Donohue is easily the best left back at the club if he signs, Fryers is inconsistant, Hunt is great but I prefer him at right back, Caddis is a great right back as well though. Fitting them all in may be difficult but then Donohue has played as a left midfielder many times in his career so would give Hunt/Fryers more protection if played in front of them when needed.

I would like Donohue back for certain, he is also on last chance saloon territory so should up his game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4648 on: Monday, July 20, 2020, 12:39:16 »

Sounds like McCormick is leaving.

Iandolo and Grant close.

Woolery, Fryers and Isgrove hopeful.

Rose contract offer in the next 10 days.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 20, 2020, 13:05:57 by Costanza » Logged
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #4649 on: Monday, July 20, 2020, 13:03:50 »

Very pleased that Iandolo is basically done. Much better player than most of our fans seem to think. His versatility is also important particularly if squad size is smaller.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: