Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1612134 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4350 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:38:03 »

Don't think it is. Wellens clarified this last night. Ordinarily, we'd need to have one home grown on the bench but we've "got a letter from the FA" giving us special dispensation not to as we are developing and selling players younger.
So basically we get a dispensation for treating young kids like cattle, that can't be right, although I accept that this is the FA we are talking about!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4351 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:03:11 »

So basically we get a dispensation for treating young kids like cattle, that can't be right, although I accept that this is the FA we are talking about!
Not sure we're "treating young kids like cattle". As I understand it, the lad was happy to go to Brighton and is thriving there.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #4352 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:07:22 »

The point was we are putting all of our youth development finances into developing 'young kids'. We don't have a U21 or U23 set up (we stop at U18). The dispensation was because we are still trying to nurture 'young kids' so that they can flourish elsewhere.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4353 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:09:35 »

Interesting, lets see if we carry on with just 6 on the bench or back to 7 if thats the case.

I am not always convinced Mr Wellens fully understand the rules, like his comments about signing players up to 11.59am on a Saturday.
Ha you may well have a point there. Although I suspect he understands the rules very well, but he does have a track record of "fogging" in interviews to the team's advantage Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #4354 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:18:54 »

Not sure we're "treating young kids like cattle". As I understand it, the lad was happy to go to Brighton and is thriving there.
He asked to leave said he had heard of interest and wanted to go there, we couldn't stop him and if it furthers his progress then its a great career move for the lad.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4355 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:19:35 »

The point was we are putting all of our youth development finances into developing 'young kids'. We don't have a U21 or U23 set up (we stop at U18). The dispensation was because we are still trying to nurture 'young kids' so that they can flourish elsewhere.

That makes much more sense.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4356 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:19:46 »

Ha you may well have a point there. Although I suspect he understands the rules very well, but he does have a track record of "fogging" in interviews to the team's advantage Smiley
Fogging, yes thats one word for it!

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4357 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:31:09 »

Probably so, it just seems a little dubious to attach a dispensation specifically to achieving a churn of kids. As long as its the kids who make the decision and they are happy fantastic.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4358 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:39:54 »

Probably so, it just seems a little dubious to attach a dispensation specifically to achieving a churn of kids. As long as its the kids who make the decision and they are happy fantastic.
As far as I know every youngster that has left our schoolboy/youth line up for the "big leagues" Walcott, Ifill, Bogle, Mitchell-Lawson, Henshall, the couple Chelsea took and the keeper Stevens to Liverpool all wanted to leave to forward their careers. For whatever reason a fair few never got much further but you can't blame them for trying. No player was made to leave at that age.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4359 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:46:22 »

As far as I know every youngster that has left our schoolboy/youth line up for the "big leagues" Walcott, Ifill, Bogle, Mitchell-Lawson, Henshall, the couple Chelsea took and the keeper Stevens to Liverpool all wanted to leave to forward their careers. For whatever reason a fair few never got much further but you can't blame them for trying. No player was made to leave at that age.

The boy Young opted to stay, Luke stuck him in the team but promptly injured and went nowhere.... had he joined Chelsea, porobably still wouldn't have made it, but picked up a nice little nest egg for a kid.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4360 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:48:36 »

Yes the kids have to look after their own career, which Swindon encourages, Young being the only one I can remember who prefered to stay rather than leave, but nobody at the club ever forced him out, as they didn't with the others, they all wanted to leave to further their careers.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4361 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:48:42 »

He asked to leave said he had heard of interest and wanted to go there, we couldn't stop him and if it furthers his progress then its a great career move for the lad.

Brighton are doing quite a good job of getting their young players through.

Wouldn't be surprised if we are loaned a player or two from them in the coming seasons. We were due to get the young lad who scored a couple v Tottenham in the Summer but that fell through.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4362 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:55:52 »

We do have a good relationship with Brighton, not sure who is in charge of the U23s/youth teams down there but we have been touted a few times with their players.

We got Brad Barry from their youth team, the crap midfielder...Starkey, Rob Hunt is ex Brighton youngster its like we are being tipped off about their cast offs. Not that its a bad thing, some work some dont. Lots of signings recently have spent time with Brighton too, Rodgers, El Abd, Ince, Hall, Barker, Harley, Kasim etc.

Alzate did fairly well for us too.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:58:27 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4363 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:07:49 »

We do have a good relationship with Brighton, not sure who is in charge of the U23s/youth teams down there but we have been touted a few times with their players.

We got Brad Barry from their youth team, the crap midfielder...Starkey, Rob Hunt is ex Brighton youngster its like we are being tipped off about their cast offs. Not that its a bad thing, some work some dont. Lots of signings recently have spent time with Brighton too, Rodgers, El Abd, Ince, Hall, Barker, Harley, Kasim etc.

Alzate did fairly well for us too.

Luke was their youth coach....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4364 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:09:09 »

Simon Rusk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Rusk
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: