Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1618952 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3870 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 16:56:03 »

Mansfield away. Got him the gig, I reckon.
Flashheart

« Reply #3871 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 17:04:11 »

If he fell into a bucket of tits he'd come out sucking his thumb on purpose is the analogy I think of.

Cheesy
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3872 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 17:30:09 »

The football under Flitcroft was terrible, even when effective, but the worst bit was that it was by design.  The spectacle on the pitch under Wellens has generally been better to watch - again, not always, but when it isn't that is not because it was by design, it's been because we haven't played well.

Luton, against 10 men, and maybe a bit against Mansfield - even that wasn't pretty.  FGR under Flitcroft was still pretty abject entertanment.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3873 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 18:02:33 »

I do think you are doing Wellens a massive injustice, we saw more decent football in Wellens first 3 matches than in a whole season under Flipflop.

Yes he may have got results but the football was utterly shocking, I think you could be alone in supporting him with this one, I for one think it was THE worst football I have watched Town play in my 45 years of watching us.

That includes the awful season under Beamish when we were appalling. Despite maybe getting a few results along the way the football was Div 4 at its worst.

We've done this one before, but you have to take in context.... given the situation Flitcroft came into, it was always going to be about pragmatism. We'd just witnessed what I would consider to be much worse football under Luke.

Similarly with KB's side.... decent at home, a cup run, poor on the road; traditional Town at the time. It's highly likely that in Div 4 you'll get Div 4 football, and that season was hardcore 4, not for the faint hearted.

Brown had an opportunity to play something a bit more cultured, having a bit more time and a core of a squad.... but to do it and get results is difficult, hence why he was sacked.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3874 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 18:35:19 »

The football under Flitcroft was terrible, even when effective, but the worst bit was that it was by design.  The spectacle on the pitch under Wellens has generally been better to watch - again, not always, but when it isn't that is not because it was by design, it's been because we haven't played well.

Luton, against 10 men, and maybe a bit against Mansfield - even that wasn't pretty.  FGR under Flitcroft was still pretty abject entertanment.

I think a manager should set up the best way he thinks the side might win the game, with the available personnel, given conditions time of year etc.  Sometimes things might fall nicely into place other times not.  Quite why this should be is sometimes hard to discern.... take Bristol City, the 17 games prior to Jan (well 29th Dec) had yielded  4 wins 6 draws and 7 defeats. a reasonable start meant a safe lower mid table perch, and the fans probably critical of Johnson.  Then 8 wins on the spin and now win their game in hand and 4 points off auto. Clearly what Johnson was doing early season wasn't quite working now it is.... I doubt it is a whole lot different.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3875 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 21:05:38 »

To be clear, I made it known that my dislike of Flitcroft was not logically related to his win record - his team played awful football and I think I also stated it would get us play offs, but no better - that was the limit I saw to his approach.  If his team and Wellens' produce equal results, I'd watch the latter every day of the week.

It's not all roses yet - there are still Crawley games to watch.  The signs are good though

Agree 100%. The style of football was the worst I've ever seen Town play.  Wellens' style is light years ahead.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3876 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 22:15:48 »

Agree 100%. The style of football was the worst I've ever seen Town play.  Wellens' style is light years ahead.

But if it doesn't get results it will count for nowt... next match up is interesting, a chance to show we are making progress.... we've lost the last 3 to Grimsby under 3 different managers... Flitcroft, Brown, Wellens.... who now gets a chance to put matters right.  If they beat Numb on Sat at Blundell Park, they'll arrive at the CG above us, and would be on a 4 game winning run.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3877 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 22:52:04 »

But if it doesn't get results it will count for nowt... next match up is interesting, a chance to show we are making progress.... we've lost the last 3 to Grimsby under 3 different managers... Flitcroft, Brown, Wellens.... who now gets a chance to put matters right.  If they beat Numb on Sat at Blundell Park, they'll arrive at the CG above us, and would be on a 4 game winning run.

In one way yes.  But I can accept results not being that good as long as the football entertains.  The style under Flitcroft was so bad,  it damn near needed a win every game to make it palatable.  I have posted before on here,  however,  that I respect Flitcroft built a team from nothing,  and am grateful he helped stop the slide downward.  That should not be underestimated.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #3878 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 22:56:23 »

Oh, fuck off.

This is why (one of many reasons) I have him blocked. Now I just need to work out how to get his rubbish blocked when people quote him as well.

I’ve tried as well - unfortunately there’s no way of hiding the quotes.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3879 on: Thursday, February 14, 2019, 23:39:53 »

I’ve tried as well - unfortunately there’s no way of hiding the quotes.

Now i really want to know who are the top ten blocked.. I think I've only blocked 2 or 3. DMR as I spotted he was a total bell end 10 years before the courts did, and one i'd better not mention as I'd probably get hate mail...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3880 on: Friday, February 15, 2019, 08:16:48 »

Now i really want to know who are the top ten blocked.. I think I've only blocked 2 or 3. DMR as I spotted he was a total bell end 10 years before the courts did, and one i'd better not mention as I'd probably get hate mail...

Reg is only ignored by 6 or 7.

I've enabled viewing of ignore lists so everyone should be able to see who has ignored them now Cheesy
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #3881 on: Friday, February 15, 2019, 08:22:30 »

Reg is only ignored by 6 or 7.

I've enabled viewing of ignore lists so everyone should be able to see who has ignored them now Cheesy
But this is the 'Squad list' thread. So are we going to get an 'Ignored Squad List'?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3882 on: Friday, February 15, 2019, 08:39:21 »

My 'ignored by' list is surprisingly short:  Trini, ferret, hobnob, inept and tiresome, garystfcjeans
Flashheart

« Reply #3883 on: Friday, February 15, 2019, 08:41:36 »

I have somebody called Oxfordhater ignoring me.

I have no idea who that is.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #3884 on: Friday, February 15, 2019, 09:13:34 »

I would love to know who's blocking me..  A shame as they missed out on those free tenners I was handing out late last year when I won the Power lottery

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: