Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1611802 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3315 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 09:58:43 »

Here he is with Power’s new youngster intake

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #3316 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 10:36:23 »

Can’t agree about the strikers. Norris is good for 12 max including pens, not good enough. Can’t expect to rely on Richards. Woolery and Anderson have shown very little.

Anderson makes me wonder whether he wanted to sign permanently in the first place. Woolery’s form matches the form we were warned about from Wigan fans.

However, I’ve seen enough of both to think that the right manager could get a tune out of them.

I do concede that I might be overly optimistic on both fronts.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:59:51 by Costanza » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3317 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:37:37 »

Let's hope you aren't.

To say I've been underwhelmed by Anderson is an understatement.

Woolery is like a 'worth a punt' signing, a Kaid Mohammed. No problem with that, other than he reportedly cost 10x the normal punt value.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3318 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:45:47 »

The main reason I’d want Brown to stay is that he has witnessed first hand the utter crap we have within the squad. Who the bottlers are. Who the bad apples are.

A new fella may feel he has to give them another chance.

God help us all!
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #3319 on: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 14:23:40 »

Must keeps for me would be Vigs, Preston, Conroy, Knoyle, Taylor, Richards, Smith, Young, Twine & Woolery. Not overly bothered either way on RCC (adequate back up but nothing more), Purkiss, Lancashire, Linganzi, Anderson, Iandolo, Mullin, McDermott & Norris. Wouldn't be gutted if any of them were still here next season but certainly wouldn't be shedding any tears if any of them left. Definitely bin Moore, Henry, McGivern, Dunne & Robertson. Too soon to comment on Romanski & other youth players who may get a pro contract in the next few weeks. Haven't commented on the loans as presumably all will return to their parent clubs although would love us to be able to sign the pre injury version of Elsnik (I know it won't happen).

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3320 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 08:59:24 »

Not sure keeping 18 members of the current squad wold be a particularly good move, but to each his own I guess.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3321 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 09:46:28 »

Not sure keeping 18 members of the current squad wold be a particularly good move, but to each his own I guess.

I looked at the Accy squad from the game when they beat us in Jan. To get a bit of an insight into how to do it. Of the lads who got on the park, 2 have been there 3 seasons... a couple of key players (no pun intended) Billy Kee and Sean McConville, both played most games this season. The defender Coneely, was on the bench.

Then 5 lads on their second year. 3 in their first year, then 3 loans.  All of them either journeymen, or from non league, the bench made up of similar, only Coneely any experience.

PB, today's Adver pinpoints that if he's here next season then he will need to move out quite a few.  It's what the Accy model sort of shows.... you need a couple of old hands, which in todays game is 3 years, a core of second season players who know the managers style and then get the missing ingredient provided by the newbies.

We could potentially do most of that but haven't got anyone of the Div 4 quality of Kee or McConville... it'll be interesting to see how good they are next home game.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3322 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 10:43:41 »

We could potentially do most of that but haven't got anyone of the Div 4 quality of Kee or McConville... it'll be interesting to see how good they are next home game.
As individuals there was only one player in the Accrington team that impressed me that I would take (as an individual signing) and that was ex Town player Kayden Jackson, Kee and McConville.

But the difference is they were fitter than our players and they all wanted to play for each other, each had their own roles in the team and knew how to play those roles.

They were a team of players that would work for each other, we were a team of individuals who couldn't play as a team and looked like none really cared about playing as a team for each other.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 23, 2018, 10:47:10 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3323 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:01:05 »

As individuals there was only one player in the Accrington team that impressed me that I would take (as an individual signing) and that was ex Town player Kayden Jackson, Kee and McConville.

But the difference is they were fitter than our players and they all wanted to play for each other, each had their own roles in the team and knew how to play those roles.

They were a team of players that would work for each other, we were a team of individuals who couldn't play as a team and looked like none really cared about playing as a team for each other.

At the time after about 30 games there was little to chose between us and Accy.... had we nicked a point and I think they got a dodgy pen from memory, they'd have been a point better off.

The fitness thing for midweek games has been a theme through the season, at the time I couldn't quite work out how we managed to arrange 3 away games in a week including 2 mid week fixtures. I know Bambi said the FL stipulate it has to be at first available date but that doesn't seem to apply to others. For example the big game at Huish tomorrow will see the Wilits/Glos/Somerset mini league settled, but both Yeovil and FGR have had other Tuesdays available in the last 4 weeks.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 23, 2018, 11:07:59 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #3324 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:33:09 »

Vigs, Preston, Conroy and Taylor would be the only members of the "first team" that I would be disappointed if they left.  I would be willing to give Knoyle, Mullin, Woolery, Richards and Anderson another go for next season as part of the squad.

The rest can do one..

4 players from an entire squad (one of which hasn't played and is our longest serving player, and two that have spent most of the season injured) speaks volumes for our recruitment efforts over the past 12 months.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3325 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:42:26 »

Vigs, Preston, Conroy and Taylor would be the only members of the "first team" that I would be disappointed if they left.  I would be willing to give Knoyle, Mullin, Woolery, Richards and Anderson another go for next season as part of the squad.

The rest can do one..
Yeah I agree with that, I think it might be worth a go to try and get Banks in as hes out of contract but thats about it for me too. Although I think Linganzi shows some promise to would probably add him to the keep list too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #3326 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:54:57 »

Yeah I agree with that, I think it might be worth a go to try and get Banks in as hes out of contract but thats about it for me too. Although I think Linganzi shows some promise to would probably add him to the keep list too.

I think we need to keep a nucleus of the squad, I think the defence with Conroy, Preston, Knoyle and maybe Mcdermott I think this has a solid potential if all stayed fit

Midfield again is a tough one as I'm not sure there are many I'd keep Tom Smith, Linganizi, Matt Taylor, Twine

Up front I would keep Woolery & Richards and maybe Anderson and get rid of Norris thus freeing up wages for a couple of new young hungry strikers

And keepers would have to be Vigs & Henry

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3327 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 13:53:08 »

I think we need to keep a nucleus of the squad, I think the defence with Conroy, Preston, Knoyle and maybe Mcdermott I think this has a solid potential if all stayed fit

Midfield again is a tough one as I'm not sure there are many I'd keep Tom Smith, Linganizi, Matt Taylor, Twine

Up front I would keep Woolery & Richards and maybe Anderson and get rid of Norris thus freeing up wages for a couple of new young hungry strikers

And keepers would have to be Vigs & Henry

We've no idea how Conroy will rock up after his lay off..... remember he's an inexperienced kid. Preston is out of contract and expected to sign elsewhere probably Mansfield.  I think our young lads are about Southern league or possibly Conference south standard. Nothing wrong with that you can have a career and it is possible to make your way back up if good enough.

Our front men are all under contract.....difficult to see much a queue from elsewhere for their sevices during the summer, but I thought Conor Thomas would be difficult to shift but with new markets opening up you never know.

Vigs isn't very good.... I suppose it's just about possible that he might have learned something about being a pro.... but you have to wonder.  Fods wasn't happy when PdC took him off after about 20 mins at Prestoin, but rewalsied what he needed to do... and did it starightaway, whcih is why he's got a career at a reasonable standard.

Linganzi is a typical example of one of our Francophone players..... can look decent, but then drifts and gets injured or is absent for some reason or other.

Has Matty T got another year in him  Hmmm
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3328 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 07:48:30 »

I'd be hopeful that Matt Taylor may look to stay and potentially work in some coaching form at the club in the future. He seems to be a very respected professional and i'm sure has loads to offer.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3329 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:39:49 »

We've no idea how Conroy will rock up after his lay off..... remember he's an inexperienced kid. Preston is out of contract and expected to sign elsewhere probably Mansfield.  I think our young lads are about Southern league or possibly Conference south standard. Nothing wrong with that you can have a career and it is possible to make your way back up if good enough.

I see this statement cropping up again and again about Preston, but where is the evidence to actually support it, he appears to have no history with Flitcroft prior to Swindon, and people were always suggesting that there was some manner of Hussey/Flitcroft love in until it became clear after Flitcroft went that Hussey thought he was a wanker!

I fear for your life after making such a suggestion about the ginger Messi!
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: