Poll
Question: How much would you be willing to pay for this device?
£5 max
£10 max
£15 max
£20 max
£25 max
Would not buy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Product Survey: uCharger  (Read 4034 times)
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 21:22:47 »

I'm not promoting any sales here, but I'm interested to see what people would be willing to pay for this product.
It is not out on the market yet, so it is a unique device.

The leaflet I attached possibly oversells the product. It says you can experience 2 to 4x faster charging speeds, but that's compared to the charging speed of a USB cable which is considerably slower than with an AC cable. In reality, the product allows you to charge your device through your laptop or car, with a USB charger, at similar speeds to AC.

One other mention is that you can charge your iPad and tablets via USB. If I recall correctly, you cannot charge an iPad and some other tablets with a USB cable as it does not supply enough current.

Thank you  Grin

EDIT: To summarise..

1. No need for AC charger any more (other than laptop)
2. It works for anything. You don't have to bring your chargers for digital camera, mp3 players, portable gps things..
3. It will charge iPads and tablets. Some, if not most laptops don't charge tablets properly.
4. You can use this to charge things in cars through USB
5. I think there is a new model being made that adds a micro-SD slot in the USB as well, so that it can act as a memory stick. (Everyone owns one of these, and needs one of these, so the charging aspect would be a very welcome addition?)

* uCharger_Leaflet.pdf (895.14 KB - downloaded 58 times.)
* uCharger Test with Galaxy S2.pdf (362.69 KB - downloaded 31 times.)
« Last Edit: Monday, April 23, 2012, 22:09:05 by pericarp » Logged

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:00:05 »

One other mention is that you can charge your iPad and tablets via USB. If I recall correctly, you cannot charge an iPad and some other tablets with a USB cable as it does not supply enough current.

It depends on whether the port provides enough power or not, though it's likely to only be an issue with older computers. I've never had a problem charging an iPad (or iPhone) via USB, both the ports on my Macbook Pro work fine and I've always found at least one suitable port on other computers when necessary.

Not quite sure why anyone would want to buy this. Think you need another option to vote for.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:35:50 »

It depends on whether the port provides enough power or not, though it's likely to only be an issue with older computers. I've never had a problem charging an iPad (or iPhone) via USB, both the ports on my Macbook Pro work fine and I've always found at least one suitable port on other computers when necessary.

Not quite sure why anyone would want to buy this. Think you need another option to vote for.

Thanks for your view  Smiley

pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:44:27 »

Just one question, how slow is the charging? I've heard that it's either really slow, or does not work at all. Just wondering thanks.

Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 23:36:14 »

Just one question, how slow is the charging? I've heard that it's either really slow, or does not work at all. Just wondering thanks.

I tend to agree with jonny, but I couldn't tell you how long it takes, mainly because I don't actively charge my phone using my computer, just often leave it plugged in for the sake of it while using iTunes.

And it does definitely charge the phone for what it's worth.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 00:05:33 »

I can't comment on the time as it's not something I pay attention to, but it definitely isn't so slow as to cause an issue. Though I'm the same as Barry, I do full charges from the mains with USB charging more of a bonus than a necessity.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 00:53:17 »

USB 2.0 maximum current is 500ma. My car stereo has a USB port but it is low powered also.

How does it work then?
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:15:15 »

USB 2.0 maximum current is 500ma. My car stereo has a USB port but it is low powered also.

How does it work then?

Not really sure, but it is something to do with communicating with the hardware to release more current (bluntly speaking). I don't think the maximum is 500mA because when a portable charger (for iphone or whatever) was charged using a laptop with a normal USB cable, it gave higher than 500mA.

If you see my next attachment, it should be pretty straightforward.

* uCharger Test with Galaxy S2.pdf (362.69 KB - downloaded 40 times.)

pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 12:56:30 »

I guess this product isn't a necessity, like most gadgets. I'm actually surprised more people didn't say they would not buy.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 13:15:25 »

Personally I wouldn't buy, I keep a charger at work and at home. The only time my battery dies is if I've been out all day with no access to any charging facilities (hence I carry a spare battery now).

I guess £10 would be what I would pay if it worked and I needed it.

Incidentally I could achieve the same effect by buying a cheap usb cable and shorting the data pins (or cutting those wires) which would only cost a few quid. But I'm notoriously lazy to try that sort of thing.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 13:18:33 »

I can't see the need for it. If you want mains charging speeds, plug the phone into a mains charger.

Plus, from my very limited knowledge of electricals, the only way to get higher amperage is to change the voltage or wattage of the circuit. I wouldn't want to go messing with that. At the least it might destroy the phone's battery, at worst you'll toast the phone or the PC/laptop power supply.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 13:22:43 »

I think if it was marketed as "get the same power as a mains charger without fucking up your gadget" then it would be a good thing to have on the move, car, work etc.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 13:24:50 »

Not really sure, but it is something to do with communicating with the hardware to release more current (bluntly speaking). I don't think the maximum is 500mA because when a portable charger (for iphone or whatever) was charged using a laptop with a normal USB cable, it gave higher than 500mA.

USB ports can supply more than 500mA, definitely up to 1000mA (maybe more). Initially there wasn't a standard for delivering the higher power level so there were some inconsistencies in how it was implemented, looks like this device simply works round those to deliver the maximum power level. Whether the device will actually achieve anything will depend on the devices involved, I doubt it would help if it was an iDevice connected to a Mac for example.

Might be a market for it though, bit like a sandwich toaster - will seem like a good purchase at the time if it's cheap enough but you'll use it a few times then put it in a cupboard and forget about it.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 13:26:36 »

To be honest I can't really see the point of the product, and therefore I am out Smiley

If you look at the benefits (that I can see) the only one is that it charges faster than the A/C adapter - the question is, is that a real benefit to anyone ?

Most people will have a way of charging their phone/iPod/iPad etc... at home, and some people will at work.

The times when you need to be able to charge your gadgets outside this area are when you are nowhere near a power source - and this does nothing to help that scenario....

What EVERYONE in the world needs is one of these .....

www.powerfreakz.com

If everyone had one of these, flat batteries on gadgets would be a thing of the past....

Now I must admit to having a slightly vested interest in this as I own a third of the company - but I still think everyone needs one Smiley

Wise men say........
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 13:28:40 »

can we get a TEF discount ?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: