Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195226 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 13:02:10 »

From prior experience, losing 25kg is the easy bit. Keeping it off is bloody challenging.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 13:06:46 »

I'm not talking from experience. I don't maintain my figure with a peloton. More like a Mr Kebab

Fat bastard
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 13:32:07 »

I am not on commission but I would again recommend beachbody home workouts. I started with insanity and few years ago.

Nothing to see here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 14:17:19 »

I often don't like the thought of getting on the turbo-trainer, but enjoy it when I do. I can't abide the thought of a structured session or training plan though. For me, winter will be about going on the bike when its nice 1/2 per week and then the turbotrainer once a week or when wet. Hopefully, I'll be able to do a couple of spin classes if and when gyms reopen

I find Zwift pretty good for motivation by trying different courses and either taking part in races (where I have no chance of keeping up with the top people in my category) or doing group ride 'Meet ups'.

Did one on Wednesday where there we a dozen of us from our cycling club (all of different standards) riding through France together. The software keeps you all grouped together, and the only thing you have to do is pedal hard! I was listening to Motorhead while riding, but some of the others chat on Discord - I can't do that, because I'm puffing and panting (with the odd bit of Tourette's thrown in) all the time! All of the courses have little sprint sections, which get me a bit competitive against some of the better cyclists in the club - They all beat me, but it pushes my heart rate up and I'm usually a good lead out man for them!

I have been doing it all on Zwift, either supported by podcasts, music or watching the GCN channel!

I do it occasionally with a couple of mates and like being outside it makes it easier as it provides some motivation, plus we chat via WhatsApp whilst we are doing it so also gives a link to the outside world and my covid updates.

Have also done a fair few races, got a second and a third in my cat, but if I go up a cat as I may have to do I am going to be shite, have actually been doing a structured plan for 6 weeks (two to go) and dropped my mate on a climb last week so must be doing some good, albeit I just cannot shift weight as I eat crap ans drink too much!
Flashheart

« Reply #634 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 09:16:05 »

I've been playing the oculus quest 2 a lot - particularly beat saber. I'm loving it, but I've hit a snag.

Me fookin' back.

After a while my lower back is killing me. I'm sure it's down to posture and I do try to keep my back straight, but I still end up bending slightly instinctively and it's not long before my lower back feels as though it's on fire. It's enough to cut my sessions short or prevent me from playing altogether.

Any recommendations?

I was wondering if a weight lifting belt would help with my posture? Or maybe it's something that will just go away as I get used to it? Something else?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 09:37:29 »

I'm guessing you are standing when on the VR?
I've read a lot of lower back pain is caused by hips/arse muscles. Perhaps best to assess the root of the pain first.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 10:19:21 »

I've been playing the oculus quest 2 a lot - particularly beat saber. I'm loving it, but I've hit a snag.

Me fookin' back.

After a while my lower back is killing me. I'm sure it's down to posture and I do try to keep my back straight, but I still end up bending slightly instinctively and it's not long before my lower back feels as though it's on fire. It's enough to cut my sessions short or prevent me from playing altogether.

Any recommendations?

I was wondering if a weight lifting belt would help with my posture? Or maybe it's something that will just go away as I get used to it? Something else?

Lack of Core strength is your (and my) problem. If you slouch when standing as your core doesn't hold you together it fucks your back. I have been meaning to sort it for sodding years, just never get round to it!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 10:26:41 »

Plank  Wink
Flashheart

« Reply #638 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 11:50:26 »

Lack of Core strength is your (and my) problem. If you slouch when standing as your core doesn't hold you together it fucks your back. I have been meaning to sort it for sodding years, just never get round to it!

So, will the cause (playing beat saber) fix it? Is it the same thing as when other muscles ache when you're not used to exercising them?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 12:23:07 »

So, will the cause (playing beat saber) fix it? Is it the same thing as when other muscles ache when you're not used to exercising them?

I dunno TBH, I have been to the docs multiple times over the years with lower back pain and am always told the underlying problem is my posture and lack of core strength (as I am 6'4 I tend to slouch plus I have a bit of a gut which means my back is permanently twisted as I stand like Sid the Sexist), its the same when I am on my bike, always been told to make sure I tense my stomach muscles but I tend to forget and then get a bad back after a few hours. I need to get into the hanit of working on core strength, just never get round to it.

Plank  Wink

I am and I can't!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 12:51:36 »

I do a minute each day
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: Friday, January 22, 2021, 14:08:28 »

If you've gone from predominantly sitting your arse all day to now spending hours on end standing of course you'll get back pain.

I had the same when I got my standing desk. You just need to gradually increase the time standing. I tend to use the standing desk in 45 minute chunks.

Core strengthening will help. I like kettlebell swings and deadlifts. Haven't had any back problems since I started training with kettlebells regularly again.

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 11:27:31 »

After completing couch to 5k recently I've kinda hit the wall. I've got a niggly pain above my left hip which aches quite badly during/after running and is always a bit tender(feels muscular)and my right hip itself really aches when running. Last couple of runs I've had to stop during or cut short. Think I might have to find something else and definitely won't be coming out of football retirement ( the kid in me foolishly thought I could still do a job for a team)
What's my options, cycling I guess or swimming. Tried a Joe Wicks workout this morning so will do some more of those for sure. I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle
Panda Paws

« Reply #643 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 11:34:41 »

Sounds like a hip flexor issue. I get it too. Mostly from sitting down all day.

Stretching should help. Joe Wicks style workouts with tons of jumping etc may not.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 11:35:07 »

You could get someone to massage the areas that are painful, also do some stretching. When I dislocated my shoulder I struggled to raise my arm above horizontal, a quick massage of the tissue between collar bone and shoulder joint and I could lift my arm another 20 degrees.
I suffer muscular pain between my lower back and hip joint, a good bit of stretching does help.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: