Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195373 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #615 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:14:51 »

Splits means working stuff out for yourself though. I'm running to clear my mind, not do maths Cheesy
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:31:07 »

fair enough.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 16:35:12 »

Get a short girlfriend who will give timely reminders such as, "my legs aren't as long as yours, can you bloody slow down?"

Thanks BD, Jayo & Batch. I did used to have a watch but never took to it  (used to use it playing golf more than anything). Will maybe have a look at a cheap but efficient fitness band/watch and try and see if I can regulate from there. I do think it might just be me being a strict fucker with myself and conditioning so I can change it up/down.

RW-D, I used to have one of those but I clearly didn't listen because she got rid of me. It's probably an effective method though except you end up with ear ache no doubt  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Panda Paws

« Reply #618 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 09:30:22 »

Since the gyms reopened at the end of July, I've been trying to lose some weight so I can be eligible for some non-critical treatments on the NHS. Lost 17kg since then and feel awesome, and hit my target weight today.

Got a phone call from my consultant last week though, the eligibility has changed and I've got to keep going. In the words of Stevie G; "we go again".
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 09:39:53 »

Since the gyms reopened at the end of July, I've been trying to lose some weight so I can be eligible for some non-critical treatments on the NHS. Lost 17kg since then and feel awesome, and hit my target weight today.

Got a phone call from my consultant last week though, the eligibility has changed and I've got to keep going. In the words of Stevie G; "we go again".

Wow fantastic achievement and one many can take inspiration from.

So, give no fucks
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 09:45:23 »

That's an epic piece of work. Puts to shame my failing efforts to shed 2kg since the summer, despite running 2 or 3 times a week. Think my metabolism is slowing down faster than I can work off the calories.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 09:45:52 »

Quote from: Panda Paws

that's a brilliant achievement. nice one
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 10:08:34 »

17kg! 'kin 'ell did you cut off a leg?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 10:36:32 »

I've been doing 100+ miles a week on the turbo trainer and have lost sweet fanny adams, I need to drink less wine!
Flashheart

« Reply #624 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 10:41:51 »

I've given up on the exercise bike. I hate it, it's so fucking boring. Even just the thought of using it bores me and drains my enthusiasm for life. I've also taken a 'fuck it' attitude to eating crisps 'n' shit and am starting to pile on the pounds. I think it's partly down to comfort eating (I've had a really shitty couple of months).

I'm planning on getting a VR kit early next year with some 'fun' exercise games, which I hope will kick-start me into making some level of effort again. In the meantime - I am rather partial to cheese and chives pringles.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 10:59:14 »

I often don't like the thought of getting on the turbo-trainer, but enjoy it when I do. I can't abide the thought of a structured session or training plan though. For me, winter will be about going on the bike when its nice 1/2 per week and then the turbotrainer once a week or when wet. Hopefully, I'll be able to do a couple of spin classes if and when gyms reopen

I find Zwift pretty good for motivation by trying different courses and either taking part in races (where I have no chance of keeping up with the top people in my category) or doing group ride 'Meet ups'.

Did one on Wednesday where there we a dozen of us from our cycling club (all of different standards) riding through France together. The software keeps you all grouped together, and the only thing you have to do is pedal hard! I was listening to Motorhead while riding, but some of the others chat on Discord - I can't do that, because I'm puffing and panting (with the odd bit of Tourette's thrown in) all the time! All of the courses have little sprint sections, which get me a bit competitive against some of the better cyclists in the club - They all beat me, but it pushes my heart rate up and I'm usually a good lead out man for them!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Panda Paws

« Reply #626 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 11:01:12 »

17kg! 'kin 'ell did you cut off a leg?

Ha, it feels like that sometimes with some of the aches and pains! I was coming from a high starting point (132kg) so had a lot to lose. Only another 26kg to go, ideally.

That's an epic piece of work. Puts to shame my failing efforts to shed 2kg since the summer, despite running 2 or 3 times a week. Think my metabolism is slowing down faster than I can work off the calories.

Interesting you mention metabolism. I've done quite a lot of reading on this, and also talked with my PT about it too. Is starvation mode a thing? Or are the laws of thermodynamics and energy always true?

My informed opinion (i.e. parroting my PT) is that so long as you burn more and consume less, you'll always lose weight but people have no clue about the amount of energy they're consuming. I certainly didn't.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 13, 2020, 11:28:16 by Panda Paws » Logged
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 11:13:21 »

I've given up on the exercise bike. I hate it, it's so fucking boring. Even just the thought of using it bores me and drains my enthusiasm for life. I've also taken a 'fuck it' attitude to eating crisps 'n' shit and am starting to pile on the pounds. I think it's partly down to comfort eating (I've had a really shitty couple of months).

I'm planning on getting a VR kit early next year with some 'fun' exercise games, which I hope will kick-start me into making some level of effort again. In the meantime - I am rather partial to cheese and chives pringles.

I know it's expensive but have you looked a Peloton bike. All interactive with classes you can do to suit you. Also adds a competitive edge to build your fitness .

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 12:34:38 »

I know it's expensive but have you looked a Peloton bike. All interactive with classes you can do to suit you. Also adds a competitive edge to build your fitness .

Fucking hell Martin, you flash bastard!
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 12:48:37 »

Fucking hell Martin, you flash bastard!

I'm not talking from experience. I don't maintain my figure with a peloton. More like a Mr Kebab

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: