Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195271 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 14:08:04 »

As a regular, non competitive alternate cyclist/ runner, I’ve never bothered using apps but have come across the Nike Run Club and Strava apps recently. Any recommendations/ preferences, folks?
Cheers.
Strava's pretty good for tracking. RunGo is really good for a new route that you're not sure of, it literally does turn-by-turn voice navigation every step of the way. Like a personal sat nav for a running/cycling route. And you can add your own via the website if the route you fancy doing isn't there already. Although it probably will be (and yes I know you could use a map but it's handy to have voice directions when you're running so you don't have to keep stopping and pulling a map out every few minutes)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 08:42:48 »

Are you stretching your calf as well as the plantar fascia? Rolling your foot over a foam roller, or firm ball is a good - think golf ball, or perhaps a little bigger. Active rest, can you do something that doesn't irritate the are so much for a week or so - cycling? When lockdown is done, go and get a few sport massage treatments.

I've started using a rolling pin while i'm sat working and i've been doing calf stretches that my podiatrist showed me, and that's all helped and it's feeling much better, cheers.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 09:54:19 »

Strava's pretty good for tracking. RunGo is really good for a new route that you're not sure of, it literally does turn-by-turn voice navigation every step of the way. Like a personal sat nav for a running/cycling route. And you can add your own via the website if the route you fancy doing isn't there already. Although it probably will be (and yes I know you could use a map but it's handy to have voice directions when you're running so you don't have to keep stopping and pulling a map out every few minutes)

And don't forget to put your run on Facebook afterwards.  Suicide

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 10:40:12 »

I've started using a rolling pin while i'm sat working and i've been doing calf stretches that my podiatrist showed me, and that's all helped and it's feeling much better, cheers.

You'll damage your keyboard
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 11:00:24 »

And don't forget to put your run on Facebook afterwards.  Suicide
Oh God please don't. It's like people who post pictures of their fucking lunch. No-one cares.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 11:08:03 »

I did a bleep test in the garden yesterday. That was hard.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 08:19:07 »

Following on from my depressing ramble the other week, I've thrown myself in to eating better, drinking less, and moving more. It's heartening, 3 weeks later to be 6kg down, and getting my min/km pace down to 6:33 from 7:49 (progress is progress, right?!). I'm enjoying getting out along the canal nice and early... never thought I'd say that.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 08:56:20 »

Fair play, that's great going
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 09:11:32 »

Good to hear LS, exercise can be a really important boost to mental health.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 10:13:31 »

very jealous. I'm pretty much confined to cycling, which as we know is the domain of MAMILs with a leg shaving fixation of which nobody is totally sure of the benefits (roadies)

The benefits of leg shaving are next to nothing unless you are a pro and getting a massage every evening or regularly skid across the tarmac on your arse.

Did 280 miles on the turbo trainer last month and still not lost any weight, need to drink less!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 10:27:34 »

The benefits of leg shaving are next to nothing unless you are a pro and getting a massage every evening or regularly skid across the tarmac on your arse.

Did 280 miles on the turbo trainer last month and still not lost any weight, need to drink less!
If you had really hairy legs you might lose some weight by shaving them ....
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 14:29:46 »

Oh God please don't. It's like people who post pictures of their fucking lunch. No-one cares.

Deep down. You really do care  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 14:35:43 »

You OK hun?

If you had really hairy legs you might lose some weight by shaving them ....

I imagine that would only apply to Richard Keys!

Its funny, many cyclists are well into saving weight on their bike and will spend a fortune on lighter parts, when you can just make a similar if not better weight saving by having a dump before you go out!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 14:55:34 »

Its funny, many cyclists are well into saving weight on their bike and will spend a fortune on lighter parts, when you can just make a similar if not better weight saving by having a dump before you go out!
Cheesy "I just shit a brake cylinder"
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 15:23:45 »

I know, don’t you just hate that? 😉
« Last Edit: Monday, May 4, 2020, 15:32:16 by Ginginho » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: