Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195204 times)
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #555 on: Sunday, April 5, 2020, 11:24:02 »

Do any of you chaps take tumeric for your joints? I've taken cod liver oil and glucosamine sulphate for the past year or so. Definitely helps but I'm wondering if tumeric or something else might be more beneficial.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Monday, April 6, 2020, 09:08:09 »

Do any of you chaps take tumeric for your joints? I've taken cod liver oil and glucosamine sulphate for the past year or so. Definitely helps but I'm wondering if tumeric or something else might be more beneficial.
Don't take it myself, but it is supposed to be really useful as an anti-inflammatory to aid recovery so would certainly be beneficial to aid recovery from running or other impact exercise

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00858.2006?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=American_Journal_of_Physiology_-_Regulatory%252C_Integrative_and_Comparative_Physiology_TrendMD_1&

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-31
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 06:24:10 »

Anyone suffered with Plantar Fasciitis and got any tips?

I'm going running most mornings, and it doesn't bother me too much as I have decent running trainers.

I've had it for probably 8-10 months now. I've got the insoles, doing the stretches, etc, but it's not going away.
I am tempted by a night splint to see if that helps, anyone ever used one or got any other advice?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 08:11:41 »

I broke my ankle (fibula) 5½ weeks ago.  Still swollen and a bit stiff/painful at times, but nothing like as much as it was and I've been walking on it normally for the last 10 days or so.  I'm desperate to get back out running again, but going to need to take it very slowly when I do.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Advice welcome.
Valid Pint

« Reply #559 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 08:34:58 »

Depends on age & luck. I broke my ankle ten years ago & it has never fully recovered.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 08:57:32 »

That's a shame.  Sorry to hear it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed then.
Valid Pint

« Reply #561 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 09:14:17 »

Thank you. It's a balance of getting the movement back but not going too fast. Physio helped me a lot in the early stages.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 13, 2020, 05:04:25 by Valid Pint » Logged
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 13:02:42 »

Anyone suffered with Plantar Fasciitis and got any tips?

I'm going running most mornings, and it doesn't bother me too much as I have decent running trainers.

I've had it for probably 8-10 months now. I've got the insoles, doing the stretches, etc, but it's not going away.
I am tempted by a night splint to see if that helps, anyone ever used one or got any other advice?
Are you stretching your calf as well as the plantar fascia? Rolling your foot over a foam roller, or firm ball is a good - think golf ball, or perhaps a little bigger. Active rest, can you do something that doesn't irritate the are so much for a week or so - cycling? When lockdown is done, go and get a few sport massage treatments.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 13:08:23 »

I broke my ankle (fibula) 5½ weeks ago.  Still swollen and a bit stiff/painful at times, but nothing like as much as it was and I've been walking on it normally for the last 10 days or so.  I'm desperate to get back out running again, but going to need to take it very slowly when I do.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Advice welcome.

I broke my left ankle 36 years ago
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 08:09:11 »

Out for a gentle jog yesterday.  Just 2 miles, and very slow & steady.  Ankle grumbling a bit this morning, but nothing too bad.  It felt wonderful to be back out there.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 09:50:11 »

very jealous. I'm pretty much confined to cycling, which as we know is the domain of MAMILs with a leg shaving fixation of which nobody is totally sure of the benefits (roadies)

I'll mountain bike instead, though the excitement of taking a curb at asked might be too much to handle

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:28:33 »

My blood pressure was on the high side and I was put on pills which made me feel like shit. Ditched them and read "how not to die" and books about the dash diet(specifically to lower blood pressure) and have reduced it that way significantly. Shifted weight in the process but am now upping the anti to drop it further so will be cycling. Any decent routes that are not too busy I'd welcome as the old trainline at the back of pmh/old town was chocka. I live in Eldene
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:30:48 by Arriba » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 11:20:26 »

My blood pressure was on the high side and I was put on pills which made me feel like shit. Ditched them and read "how not to die" and books about the dash diet(specifically to lower blood pressure) and have reduced it that way significantly. Shifted weight in the process but am now upping the anti to drop it further so will be cycling. Any decent routes that are not too busy I'd welcome as the old trainline at the back of pmh/old town was chocka. I live in Eldene
You can pick up Route 45 in Coate Water, follow it out the back over the motorway to Chiseldon/Hodson Rd and out from there to the Ridgeway. There's also the old train line from Chiseldon to Marlborough as well, but suspect again it's likely to be busy ish, depending on what time of day you go. Or cycle up to Liddington castle, pick up the Aldbourne Circular route which partly incorporates sections of the Ridgeway. I was running there this morning, there were very few people around and it's glorious

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 13:22:28 »

You can pick up Route 45 in Coate Water, follow it out the back over the motorway to Chiseldon/Hodson Rd and out from there to the Ridgeway. There's also the old train line from Chiseldon to Marlborough as well, but suspect again it's likely to be busy ish, depending on what time of day you go. Or cycle up to Liddington castle, pick up the Aldbourne Circular route which partly incorporates sections of the Ridgeway. I was running there this morning, there were very few people around and it's glorious

Sounds good. Cheers for that.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 13:35:31 »

As a regular, non competitive alternate cyclist/ runner, I’ve never bothered using apps but have come across the Nike Run Club and Strava apps recently. Any recommendations/ preferences, folks?
Cheers.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: