Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195196 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 07:34:31 »

Cheers, pretty sure the shoes fit alright. I got them fitted in Run with gait analysis etc. Maybe they aren't tight enough, I do like them fairly loose.

I reckon that's your problem. You don't want any movement between shoe and foot.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #481 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 07:56:07 »

Thanks for the tips everyone
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 08:25:06 »

A trick that I was taught by a Marine during my days stomping across hills was to cut the feet off some particular slippery tights and put these in between feet and socks hence reducing the friction.
Pretty much the same idea as the double walled anti-blister socks

hopefully your feet will toughen up a bit over time.
Are you accusing jayo of having nancy feet?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #483 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 09:55:34 »

Yeah the trouble is, once I get the blisters off it's down to fresh skin every time which then blisters up again!
Flashheart

« Reply #484 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 09:59:51 »

Does anybody have problems with ankles?

One of mine is proper fucked. I have no intention of running anyway, but it's weak and I worry spraining it (yet again). I was thinking of getting boots or some other kind of support to help protect it, would that do the job?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #485 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 10:06:07 »

Yes, I injured my right ankle pretty badly when I was about 13 and it's never been the same since. I wouldn't bother trying to protect it with boots or compression as ideally you want it to be stronger.

Yoga helped me. Particularly moves like the tree, triangle, warrior etc.
Flashheart

« Reply #486 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 10:09:27 »

Cheers. I'll have a look into it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 10:24:16 »

Yeah the trouble is, once I get the blisters off it's down to fresh skin every time which then blisters up again!
Don't know if it will help with blister on ball of the feet but Compeed are excellent for this kind of problem on the heel. Not cheap but do the job brilliantly
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 10:43:15 »

Yes, I injured my right ankle pretty badly when I was about 13 and it's never been the same since. I wouldn't bother trying to protect it with boots or compression as ideally you want it to be stronger.

Yoga helped me. Particularly moves like the tree, triangle, warrior etc.

How is it going, I fucked my right ankle when I was under 10 and whilst its generally OK it aches like buggery when the weather is wet and it also seems like the foot I get the gout problems with, Doc have suggested it could be to do with arthritis due to the damage I did previously?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #489 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:53:11 »

My ankle hurts all the time but now it's pretty strong I feel like I could run on it forever. I imagine I'll pay for it as I get older.
Flashheart

« Reply #490 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:58:25 »

Mine doesn't 'hurt' as such. I wouldn't call it pain, but I can always feel as though something is just not right, and one wrong step means it's sprained again. That's one of the things that worries me most about it --- it's very fucking painful to sprain it and the pain does not go away quickly.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 12:15:13 »

I've used these before to strengthen the ankle when coming back from injury/sprains etc:

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 14:33:54 »

Whatever happened to Blinkpip?  He's the one to talk to about running.  He's a proper runner.  Constantly at it and runs marathons in about half the time I have ever done!

Never knowingly overstated.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 16:52:12 »

Whatever happened to Blinkpip?  He's the one to talk to about running.  He's a proper runner.  Constantly at it and runs marathons in about half the time I have ever done!

I'm still about, just a lurker nowadays.

My advice is on injuries, is see a physio asap, don't leave it too late (easily done like me). Though I seen 4 different physios until my injury problems was solved. You have to find the right person that you have full confidence in, if not then change (can get expensive, sadly).
They will probably check/focus your footwear first.

Hope some of you are running the last Swindon Half in September. Smiley

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #494 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 09:27:08 »

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone, especially those who correctly surmised that my trainers were too loose. Did 15km yesterday with them done up a bit tighter and no massive blisters this time. I'm yet to get proper socks but thinking I'll get some soon.

Got one eye on the Swindon Half now which would be my first ever race.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: